You are the reason I smile...

#60 - Tracy Country 3

TracyCountry-0999-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

Nice locale..good artistic expression. If it was me I would give her some photoshop If you know what I mean. Personally I would not want her to wear white since she has a full figure and given the bright lighting condition plus white fence just accentuate her full figure.Darker clothing would be best in such cases as women like to look slim. I would try making backround darker to make her pop or give better separation plus guide the eye to her. Again this is your artstic call. :)

Last edited:
Hey OEJ... Thanks for the welcoming messages!

Yeah, I think I overdid the tweaking of the colours of the grass.

And while I am not shy to photoshop a lot, I didn't want to apply too much for #60. She looked pretty good as it is.

Thanks for dropping by!

#61 - Mao 1

Sad story. 5 mins into the shoot, Ad200 stopped working...
I was back to basics in using whatever available light to complete the shoot. 3 photos from the series.

Hi Norman, 65-Z2 looks alright with the side lighting.You shooting model portfolio? ( teasing) :) You think he can get hired or get the job? Is he worth a second look?

Hi Norman, 65-Z2 looks alright with the side lighting.You shooting model portfolio? ( teasing) :) You think he can get hired or get the job? Is he worth a second look?

Hi OEJ!

Yeah. I was experimenting with the different positioning of the lights. I like this lighting too! Glad you see it in that light (pun) as well.

Well this shoot was in collaboration with the model (great guy, nice attitude btw) for him to get a set of photos for his own use and at the same time for me to try out different stuff (lighting/processing specifically). The two of us were happy with the result, so I would say that the criteria for success was achieved.

As for him making the casting call would very much depend on factors beyond my control. But your question indicates that you have an opinion about it that you haven't shared. Do go ahead and share so that we can learn.

Cheers and thanks for dropping by!

As for him making the casting call would very much depend on factors beyond my control. But your question indicates that you have an opinion about it that you haven't shared. Do go ahead and share so that we can learn.

Side lighting is great for men to show facial features and drama, it's useful for women also for a moody dramatic look compared to the flat beauty look for women.

As a photographer you can make a difference in whether the model get hired or picked.Very simply because advertisers want a certain look that each model inherently has but if the model does not project it well..guess what no deal!

The most attractive quality a man or woman can have is confidence! How do you bring this out of him/her? Do you seriously believe those supermodel reality shows where the photographer say," give me sexy, sultry,sensual or playful etc." Or worse ,say "do what you do" actually work.A pro model gives you 5 poses that work for him/her and then what? To make it work other than the art director giving the main idea, the photographer must GIVE direction and not all are good at giving instructions but even this
will not produce results if the model lack confidence about himself.This is where building
rapport n confidence building comes to play.Communicate n engage the model through genuine sincere talk, give honest
Praise when model give a good pose..they need warm up like atheletes. :) Be genuine and caring as a photographer as well.You are friend and councillor
among other things.When you can do all this magic happens. ;)