You are the reason I smile...

Hi ONEEYE

Thanks for the sharing!

I think you make some absolutely valid points about the need to align the purpose of the image (portrait) with the execution of the shot.

I think I pigeon-holed myself a little too quick by saying portraits when I should have described my vision for the shot. It was to portray a slightly dark and somewhat moody scene of a girl contemplating. Just like I had mentioned, the inclusion of the other elements in the scene was intentional. Based on this description, as a viewer, how successful do you suppose I was in achieving that?

Ok so you are trying to create a scene or story. It's still about the girl right? One thing you should know is how the eye sees. It will automatically see the brightest part of a picture first.So in this case the lampshade at the upper right corner is distracting.Ideally the girl should be the brightest relative to the surrounding.Either you reduce the light on the red curtains or use the light of the lampshade or simulate it.

Oh, and to address the parts about shoot straight on and having flat images, that's the reason I depend quite heavily on lighting. To create shadows for depth. Does it work?

Now I have to warn you that you are shooting models so straight on is not a problem because they are
small/thin but what if it's like the malay couple earlier in the series.A straight on shot would make her look broader/fat and no woman likes that. Thats' where shadows come to play to reduce/hide the apparent size or thickness. ;) Cheers! Yes shadows for depth/3D is great.

Hi ONEEYE

The red curtains! That's what was distracting from the image. I can't believe I didn't notice it till you brought it up! Good point!

I understand where you are coming from about shooting (or not shooting) head-on. I believe it works for some images and not so for others.

I have photos of the model facing the side and pronouncing the S curve with triangles to boot. I want to make it work for this photo (since we are taking about this photo and not one of the precious ones with the Malay lady). How do you propose I do that? (Btw, I would prefer to not have to use your proposed idea of introducing a cleavage to accentuate a head in shot)

Cheers

#49 - Putri Casual Studio (Blue)

Putri Casual Studio Blu 1 by Above Norm, on Flickr

Hi ONEEYE

The red curtains! That's what was distracting from the image. I can't believe I didn't notice it till you brought it up! Good point!

I understand where you are coming from about shooting (or not shooting) head-on. I believe it works for some images and not so for others.

I have photos of the model facing the side and pronouncing the S curve with triangles to boot. I want to make it work for this photo (since we are taking about this photo and not one of the precious ones with the Malay lady). How do you propose I do that? (Btw, I would prefer to not have to use your proposed idea of introducing a cleavage to accentuate a head in shot)

Cheers

Aiya..it depends on what kind of look you want not neccessary cleavage if you want an elegant classy image.Still a woman want to look classy,powerful and sexy (super woman,desired/admired) as well.The problem is if shoot head on her chest look flat!(unless client don't/not interested but don't think like a man) Can you improve on this angle? Yes! if you play with the lighting.Remember shadows give depth? It also give or SHAPE or FORM too!

As far as I can see the girl is lit from above as the shadows under chin/arm shows.If you want to accentuate her chest side lighting is the way or at slight angle but also the face will be in shadow so may need additional light.Use the modeling light on studio flash or tungsten lamps to get the look you want then switch off.Walk around the model to survey the lighting until you get the right look by moving lights.Same goes for the background it should not be brighter than the model (say by 1 stop or more).Here's where an incident/flash exposure meter becomes useful until you are so expert you can judge by looking and experience.

Worse to worst can use photoshop to darken curtain background, lampshade ,antique record player and part of sofa I think it's called dodging.Then it becomes moody. Cheers.

Edit: Also notice the highlights on the sofa can be distracting as eye will see the brightest areas first.

Last edited:
Aiya..it depends on what kind of look you want not neccessary cleavage if you want an elegant classy image.Still a woman want to look classy,powerful and sexy (super woman,desired/admired) as well.The problem is if shoot head on her chest look flat!(unless client don't/not interested but don't think like a man) Can you improve on this angle? Yes! if you play with the lighting.Remember shadows give depth? It also give or SHAPE or FORM too!

As far as I can see the girl is lit from above as the shadows under chin/arm shows.If you want to accentuate her chest side lighting is the way or at slight angle but also the face will be in shadow so may need additional light.Use the modeling light on studio flash or tungsten lamps to get the look you want then switch off.Walk around the model to survey the lighting until you get the right look by moving lights.Same goes for the background it should not be brighter than the model (say by 1 stop or more).Here's where an incident/flash exposure meter becomes useful until you are so expert you can judge by looking and experience.

Worse to worst can use photoshop to darken curtain background, lampshade ,antique record player and part of sofa I think it's called dodging.Then it becomes moody. Cheers.

Edit: Also notice the highlights on the sofa can be distracting as eye will see the brightest areas first.

Roger That!

Thanks for the pointers. Will keep em in mind.

Cheers

#50 - BleuBlanGeisha 1

BeauBlancGeisha-82-Edit by Above Norm, on Flickr

Straight on again! Colours are nice but photo don't quite speak if you know what I mean.In hindsight you could ask model to move to slight angle as that will present an aesthetic view again 3D rather than straight on 2D.Although exposure is spot on for model but umbrella is slightly over exposed but I guess you have to make a compromise in a good way.I feel the makeup is a bit too wayang/operatic vs classic japanese geisha style.In fact the lips will be drawn much smaller,more like a smootching look.

The hands could do some reposing as fingers should be close together rather than spread out like a bunch of bananas.Again it's the details that get you.Again shooting straight on makes her face broader hence use of angular perspective is more pleasing.Also note since umbrella is brighter than subject it distracts from the model.(The eye is led away).

Keep them coming bro.:)

Last edited:
Straight on again! Colours are nice but photo don't quite speak if you know what I mean.In hindsight you could ask model to move to slight angle as that will present an aesthetic view again 3D rather than straight on 2D.Although exposure is spot on for model but umbrella is slightly over exposed but I guess you have to make a compromise in a good way.I feel the makeup is a bit too wayang/operatic vs classic japanese geisha style.In fact the lips will be drawn much smaller,more like a smootching look. The hands could do some reposing as fingers should be close together rather than spread out like a bunch of bananas.Again it's the details that get you.Again shooting straight on makes her face broader hence use of angular perspective is more pleasing.Also note since umbrella is brighter than subject it distracts from the model.(The eye is led away). Keep them coming bro.:)
Heya. Thanks for being an ardent visitor!

I see that you have an issue with the use of a head-on composition here. I see your point of view (head-on. Haha). But upon reflection, I wouldn't recompose the shot or reposition the model in this case. This is the vision I wish to express.

Oh yes. The details about the fingers. My bad. Good eye!

Ah... Umbrella should have been toned down. That escaped me during post processing too.

Heya. Thanks for being an ardent visitor!

I see that you have an issue with the use of a head-on composition here. I see your point of view (head-on. Haha). But upon reflection, I wouldn't recompose the shot or reposition the model in this case. This is the vision I wish to express.

Oh yes. The details about the fingers. My bad. Good eye!

Ah... Umbrella should have been toned down. That escaped me during post processing too.

I respect your artistic vision. That's how you create your own style!

#52 and #53
Congrats bro now you are getting to the Tao of portraiture.:) The model pops!