Yong Siew Toh Conservatory of Music - NUS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivanloke

Apr 29, 2003
Singapore
Anyone here taking a Bachelor of Music from from NUS???

So far the first batch of Faculty of Music students are made up of foreign students and are hand picked through a very stringent selection process.

Not to say they will not appear on ClubSNAP, but chances are slim given the fact they are very busy with their studies and spend most of their time playing music.

Ah Pao said:
So far the first batch of Faculty of Music students are made up of foreign students and are hand picked through a very stringent selection process.

Not to say they will not appear on ClubSNAP, but chances are slim given the fact they are very busy with their studies and spend most of their time playing music.

Made up of foreign students?? So disappointed :( . I hope they will give some chances to Singaporeans for the next intake.

Thanks for the information, Ah Pao. :)

If I am not mistaken there are some Singaporeans as well... around 2-3...
Not many locals applied apparently fer the first batch

You crazy? I understand that students wanting to apply to this degree has to memorise 5 movements on the piano. And from what my (insane) friend (who wants to go take this degree) says, 1 movement is damn long.

I'll rather move away from the piano and burn it. :bsmilie:

Poledra said:
You crazy? I understand that students wanting to apply to this degree has to memorise 5 movements on the piano. And from what my (insane) friend (who wants to go take this degree) says, 1 movement is damn long.

Don't burn the piano, you may want to give it to me :bsmilie:
Your (insane) friend is a dip. holder or grade 8?? :D

ivanloke said:
Don't burn the piano, you may want to give it to me :bsmilie:
Your (insane) friend is a dip. holder or grade 8?? :D
I don't know...
I didn't ask... She and I not very close.. But should be grade 8 since she's from CJC also.
Why? Thinking of going for the degree is it?
Well, if you are, good luck. But personally, I think other courses offer better job markets. The university job market is looking up, yes.. but I don't think the newspaper said anything about good job prospect for musical dreamers.

Poledra said:

I'll take the piano if it's a Steinway. :)

Regards
CK

ckiang said:
I'll take the piano if it's a Steinway. :)

Regards
CK
i practice on a steinway almost every week. if not then i use a stuttgart.
muahaha...

but then again, it's the pianist not the piano.. and i suck.. :flush:

The Music Conservatory is a place to be trained as a professional classical musician, someone who either performs in an orchestra (like SSO) or teaches music. If you want to pursue this as a career, then go for it. Currently, it's still focused on Western music, not Eastern nor contemporary (like Jazz, pop, etc.), unlike Berklee or others in the US.

That's why they are very focused on performance skills, to make sure they get the best musicians.

I guess the reason why there are very very few locals in the Conservatory is that we don't have the talent yet (how many Abigail Sin and Benjamin Boo do we have ... besides they are too young to enrol). And for those who truly have the talents, either they have the money to go overseas to study or they have no money to develop their talent and ends up being an ordinary 9-to-5 worker. And those who actually have some talent and wants to enrol are probably not that good enough - I mean, how can we fight with all the applicants around the region?

La Salle would have more local music students, because they accept O-level students and theirs is a Diploma, which although not as prestigious, is enough to make a decent living in music.

here's what the prospective keyboard applicant has to prepare for auditions:

1. One etude or technical study of your choice
2. Any composition of Bach, Scarlatti or Handel
3. The first movement from any Sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert (additional movements are welcome but not required)
4. One 19th century composition of your choice
5. One 20th century composition of your choice

copy and pasted from the official website of course...

i also recalled seeing one or two singaporean's CV elsewhere on the web where they listed having won the national music competitions in their teens. they went on to become math and science academics...

the very talented ones usually all go overseas by default... of course the situation may change once the local conservatory gains some reputation.

if i recalled from a newspaper report correctly they gave _all_ of students from the first intake scholarships.

no harm giving a try i suppose if you are really keen about it.

Poledra said:
I don't know...
I didn't ask... She and I not very close.. But should be grade 8 since she's from CJC also.
Why? Thinking of going for the degree is it?
Well, if you are, good luck. But personally, I think other courses offer better job markets. The university job market is looking up, yes.. but I don't think the newspaper said anything about good job prospect for musical dreamers.

Thanks for your information. :)

Thanks for all the information, especially pianodancer & igpenguin. ;)

igpenguin said:
here's what the prospective keyboard applicant has to prepare for auditions:

1. One etude or technical study of your choice
2. Any composition of Bach, Scarlatti or Handel
3. The first movement from any Sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert (additional movements are welcome but not required)
4. One 19th century composition of your choice
5. One 20th century composition of your choice.
Wat liao ai, i probably z.z..z... listening to all these stuffs... no offend, but I just happened to be tone-deaf..

If you realli realli tone-deaf then everything also cannot enjoy mah... else depends on the pianist and the choice of pieces.

No offence, but that's not called tone deaf. It's more of lack of interest in classical. In which case then you won't be interested to apply anyway right? :)

Anyway, DO give them a try. Classical is usually perceived as boring, and most people associate it with being boring without even trying to listen/appreciate them. ;)

Regards
CK

Clown said:
i practice on a steinway almost every week. if not then i use a stuttgart.
muahaha...

but then again, it's the pianist not the piano.. and i suck.. :flush:
That's very nice. Never really played a Steinway before.... Boesendorfer also never play before. :(

Regards
CK

There's a Boesendorfer grand in NUS LT13... gathering dust with the music stands in the storeroom when there's no events. Lovely with ultra-low bass note (F?) - not lovely in my hands, haha! Tori Amos' piano of choice...

igpenguin said:
There's a Boesendorfer grand in NUS LT13... gathering dust with the music stands in the storeroom when there's no events. Lovely with ultra-low bass note (F?) - not lovely in my hands, haha! Tori Amos' piano of choice...
Can you arrange to ship that to me since it's unused? ;p

Regards
CK

Playing the piano is "fun" but not many people can take the hours of practice a day to master a Bach or Scarlatti. It helps to have a big hand to stretch easily more than an octave. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.