Yogyakarta & Surabaya

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjunsinha

Nov 20, 2009
Woodlands, Singapore
Friends,

I am planning for a personal photography trip to Yogyakarta & Surabaya.

Please suggest me with photo magnetic places and preferred way to travel between above locations. :)

for Surabaya will definitely be Mt Bromo

Yes, Mt Bromo - make VERY VERY SURE YOU GET UP EARLY............................
Excellent view

My advice, bring as little equipment and/or try not to be too obvious that you are carrying photograhpic equipment.

Between Yogya and Surabaya, there is a direct flight. Otherwise its train (which i do not recommend).

Mt Bromo isn't in Surabaya itself its about 3 hours car ride away, and suggest you check in the night before and book in advance, year end its always full.

Withing Surabaya itself, I am not sure what you like to take, there is a "new town" based on Singapore, you might want to take pictures of Mini-fountain of wealth, Statue of Raffles, Huge version of Merlion.

There is an inactive Synagogue (not a spectacular building) of historical interest.

Cigarette factory at House of Sampoerna.

Hero's monument which is symbol of Surabaya.

The new SuraMadu Bridge is of an architectural feat (but there are better bridges around).

For man-made disaster... you might want to go Lumpur Lapindo or Lusi. Its a result of a corporate exploration which casued a mud flow inundating entire villages.

Was in Yogyakarta end of last month and would say that its best attraction is Borobudur, followed by Prambanan. The rest (i.e. Kraton, Ratu Boko etc) are just "so-so".

If you wanna wander around in Malioboro Street for some shopping (batik etc), be very careful with your belongings. When we were there some of us noticed some peeps loitering/watching around suspiciously... it was good that we group up frequently.. that seems to have scared them off...

:Later,

Last edited:
Yeap, Borobudur is quite nice. Make sure you get a hotel near Borobudur though, so that you can wake up early in the morning and see the sunrise.

BTW, Borobudur isn't at Yogyakarta, it's closer to a town called Magelang. I guess it'll take like 1-1.5 hours to reach Borobudur from Yogyakarta.

dude,
im keen in that area as well.
have you gone?
if not, when?
if yes, how is it? how to go and how much spent?

When I was in Jogja, I went for a hidden temple tour. It was quite good. The temples I went were the smaller ones not frequent by tourist and was rich in history.

Am planning a trip to Borobudur around the middle of the year.
If anyone has been before, would be so kind as to provide some links (URL will be fine) to useful information such as accomodation, transport, things to see/do, etc?
I'm not sure if 3D2N is sufficient, or 4D3N is better.
Probably if I can arrive Yogyakarta in the day, my 1st and 2nd night accomodation would be closer to Borobudur.
Judging from my experience in Bali, I'd likely opt for car + driver.

If Yogya alone, 3D2N would suffice. About half a day each in Borobudur and Prambanan. The other attractions (Sultan Palace etc) aren't really that enticing. You can go to YogYes.com to check out Yogya info including possible transport arrangements. I had ours booked through one of the companies listed on their site (we booked a Mini-Bus for our group).

If Yogya alone, 3D2N would suffice. About half a day each in Borobudur and Prambanan. The other attractions (Sultan Palace etc) aren't really that enticing. You can go to YogYes.com to check out Yogya info including possible transport arrangements. I had ours booked through one of the companies listed on their site (we booked a Mini-Bus for our group).

thanks for your advice :)

I never been to Surabaya my self... but from what I've heard just be carefull especially at night...

You must be careful in any city in Indonesia. Always carry ur back and wallet in the front.
For Yogyakarta do visit Malioboro, in one of batik shop in malioboro showing classic horse carriage. U havent visit yogya if u havent visit malioboro.

You must be careful in any city in Indonesia. Always carry ur back and wallet in the front.
For Yogyakarta do visit Malioboro, in one of batik shop in malioboro showing classic horse carriage. U havent visit yogya if u havent visit malioboro.

ok... cool! Thanks!
Malioboro is a town within Yogya? Or is it a specific place?

I suggest for Bromo Volcano trip, to stay at Lava View hotel and don't missed the waterfalls at there - madangkaripura.

Surabaya, visit House Of Sampoerna, and see how the clove cigarette was made.

Anybody knows if it's a good time to visit Surabaya -- especially Mt Bromo -- in early April? Planning to spend 4 Days 3 Nights in Surabaya with some side trip to Malang and other places.

Status
Not open for further replies.