Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinoy

Jan 17, 2002
ClubSNAP East
www.flickr.com
Me and my colleagues are doing another round of photography trip by Nov of this year (did Siem Reap last month). Destination is as per subject of this trip: Yogyakarta, Indonesia, and we'll be spending roughly 3 days.

Now, there are 2 attractions that led us to Yogyakarta: Borobudur and Prambanan. We intend to cover these 2 on separate days, catching up sunrise in both days. First question, is half day enough to cover each attraction?

Our schedule is as follows:

Day 1: Arrive in Yogyakarta at 1220 local time
Day 2: Borobudur
Day 3: Prambanan
Day 4: Depart for Singapore at 0725 local time.

Other than Borobudur and Prambanan, any other "not-to-be-missed" places in Yogyakarta. Or perhaps surrounding cities? Any recommendation on which hotel to stay (affordable yet nice), car with driver to rent for day trips, foods to try out and so on?

Any inputs would be appreciated. :)

:Later,

I suggest u to travel to "Keraton Yogyakarta" also, it's central goverment in Yogyakarta.

Food to try : Nasi Gudeg --> in english : Gudeg Rice

Souvenir : dagadu --> mostly it's just a T-Shirt, made localy in Yogyakarta

I recommend the Pheonix Hotel (formerly Grand Mercure). During my recent trip, I booked a twin-sharing room over hotelclub.com for just SGD100/nite. It is an heritage hotel in the heart of the city, yet it has a very serene feel to the environment (ambiance reminds me of Raffles Hotel, no joke). Staffs are friendly, good (and not pricey) food. Quite a few photogenic corners within the compound itself (The IDs really know where to place their decorative stuffs). Each room comes with a balcony. About 45mins from Borobudur, 15mins from Prambanan.

Will stop here before beginning to sound like a salesperson...

Only negative point is, the TV is a 26-inch CRT. Then again...

Thanks for the inputs.

Lekech - thanks for the hotel recommendation. Will definitely put that in my shortlist. :)

try to watch the Ramayana Ballet Performance at Prambanan open air theatre. i paid Performance:Rp200k (VIP seat), and Buffet dinner:Rp60k, an open space dining besides the theatre. the show is abt 2 hrs.

borobudur sunrise, suggest to stay at manohara guest house, which is a short walk to the temple. u can find the hotel under this link. http://www.yogyes.com/

staying at other places (e.g. town) will mean waking up earlier, board ur transport to reach there before sunrise. i stay in the town, and bought my ticket (rp250k) on the spot at manohara.

another place may be ratu boko, which is near prambanan. it is to watch sunset.

Thanks Guni_hoon. Manohara is in our radar as well just that not quite sure whether it really would be worth staying there (for a night at least). Is Borobudur a 1 day itinerary? Or can it be covered in half a day or so? If it's the latter then perhaps it may not be worth it to stay in Manohara since we'd like to cover as much places as we can. :)

i did borobudur in half a day. it depends on how much time u want to spend at each level of the temple studying the pictures/carvings.

my suggestion is spend ur first day afternoon and night at manohara, which u can go to borobudurm view the sunset, and next morning, sunrise. 2nd day can visit prambanan in the afternoon, then the dinner follow by the dance performance. in between, go town find ur hotel and visit the keraton as suggested by others.

just me suggestion.

Me and my colleagues are doing another round of photography trip by Nov of this year (did Siem Reap last month). Destination is as per subject of this trip: Yogyakarta, Indonesia, and we'll be spending roughly 3 days.

Now, there are 2 attractions that led us to Yogyakarta: Borobudur and Prambanan. We intend to cover these 2 on separate days, catching up sunrise in both days. First question, is half day enough to cover each attraction?

Our schedule is as follows:

Day 1: Arrive in Yogyakarta at 1220 local time
Day 2: Borobudur
Day 3: Prambanan
Day 4: Depart for Singapore at 0725 local time.

Other than Borobudur and Prambanan, any other "not-to-be-missed" places in Yogyakarta. Or perhaps surrounding cities? Any recommendation on which hotel to stay (affordable yet nice), car with driver to rent for day trips, foods to try out and so on?

Any inputs would be appreciated. :)

if these are the two places u wanna go..then not too much an issue. Both sites are smallish.
(not like Angkor Wat and surrounding which are much much more extensive)

If u have time, goto Berihgharjo (sic) Market in the heart of Yogja. Color sights and sound and along Maliboro Rd too..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davios/3127157713/in/set-72157611435521525/

view from there onwards..

there is still the Bird Market and Water Palace too..

u will wish u got another day. :bsmilie:

What a nice place to visit. There some place of interest like
1)Bantul out skirt of yogyakarta,it a remberance of the last earth quake happen last few years which killed 6000+ people and understand life does not change much and you can still see remnants of the quake.

2)Goseng enroute from Magelang to Solo (Borobudur is at Magelang) old road circle the mountain and you can find open air market, very nice landscape view between mountains
and farm land and temp. very cold even at noon.

3)ketep is another high ground where you can view mount merapi (active Volcano)
and other mountain.

Actually i do had a house at Magelang a place where all Indonesia Military Officer came from.(Military Academy) My advise do more research as there alot of interesting place around there.dont miss it while you are there.

Good luck. enjoy your trip and keep clicking and post it for others to share.....

Goo d trip, post photos at CS.

I plan to take a week to visit Jogya (see Borobudur, Prambanan, Merapi) and Bromo. Any advise on trip itinerary?

I was thinking of taking Airasia to Jogya, spent 3 to 4 nights there; take a 9hr bus ride to cemero lawang, spend a night there to see Bromo at sunrise; go to surabaya for a night and return by Jetstar. Should I start at Jogya or Surabaya?? And is July/AUgust a good time?

Did my trip last week.

I have picked up the itinerary in Clubsnap (do a search) and improvised it to suit my needs. Here it goes ...

Day 1 - Monday
Arrived in Jogja; Check-in Guest House.
Head to Sunset in Prambanan Temple

Day 2 - Tuesday
Morning: Leave Guest House at 4 AM; Sunrise somewhere near Borobudur at nearby hill. Visit Borobudur after breakfast. Visit Dieng Plateau (another 2 1/2 hour drive).

Day 3 - Wednesday
Morning: Leave at 6:00 AM to Pundong. See Bridge (formerly Bamboo Bridge) and traditional market - People watching and kampong kind. After that, see Kraton and Tamansari water castle, Ngasem bird market; Free and easy around downtown. Depart for Parangtritis Beach for sunset.

*Pundong is 30 minutes drive from Jogja. Did not make to the Bridge as the driver could not find it. Plus, one of the travel mate was feeling unwell and we started late (something like 7.30am). We made U-turn back to town.

Day 4 - Thursday. Depart 7.30 for Solo. It is 1-1/2 hour drive. Drove another 20km (?) to see Candi Ceto and then another 30minutes downhill to see Candi Sukuh. You can do a 2 to 3 hour trek from Candi Ceto to Candi Sukuh. Did not do the trek, but we went on to catch the sunset at Ratu Boko Temple (IDR 75,000 inclusive of snacks and coffee). Ratu Boko (in the same area with Prambanan) was along the way (half way) from Solo back to Jogja.

Day 5 - Friday
Morning: leave hotel at 3 AM, sunrise in Rawa Pening natural dam, Ambarawa, Return to Jogja, visit Kota Gede, and a Batik-making shop. Afternoon, free and easy at Pasar Beringharjo/Jalan Malioboro.

* We started late at 4am, missed the sunrise. Ambarawa is 2 1/2 hour drive. Also, the driver took some time to find Rawa Pening. Arrived at 7.15am.

Day 6 - Saturday - Checkout/Go home

See photos in http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547418

Last edited:
For Yogya accomodation, you can find the hotels, guest houses & make reservation at the following:

http://www.yogyes.com/

Most of them do arrange tours, drivers + car. It is quite easy. Most drivers speak Javanese Indonesia and very little English and so, make sure you level your expectations.

Note that there are many Guest Houses and budget hotels - it is really subjective and down to very individual preference.

I had stayed in Fortuna Guest House at 13.5 USD (10% discount), per day, with simple breakfast of coffee/bread/egg, air-con and with showers. The room is not big but is cosy, clean and comfy enough. The location is away from the main street and it is very quiet and peaceful - The main scoring point for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your review and itinerary! I am going there during the week of 9 Aug holiday.

Did you advance book at Fortuna or did you walk in?

Looking back, would you recommend staying at Manohara to see sunrise at Borobudur or viewing the sunrise from nearby hills was just as good?

You did many trips to many temples and sights ..... which one is a DIE DIE MUST SEE?

thanks

For Yogya accomodation, you can find the hotels, guest houses & make reservation at the following:

http://www.yogyes.com/

Most of them do arrange tours, drivers + car. It is quite easy. Most drivers speak Javanese Indonesia and very little English and so, make sure you level your expectations.

Note that there are many Guest Houses and budget hotels - it is really subjective and down to very individual preference.

I had stayed in Fortuna Guest House at 13.5 USD (10% discount), per day, with simple breakfast of coffee/bread/egg, air-con and with showers. The room is not big but is cosy, clean and comfy enough. The location is away from the main street and it is very quiet and peaceful - The main scoring point for me.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your review and itinerary! I am going there during the week of 9 Aug holiday.

Did you advance book at Fortuna or did you walk in?

Looking back, would you recommend staying at Manohara to see sunrise at Borobudur or viewing the sunrise from nearby hills was just as good?

You did many trips to many temples and sights ..... which one is a DIE DIE MUST SEE?

thanks

I made reservation from the mentioned website. They asked for deposit but I had refused since it was not specified as requirement in the first place and also, I was unwilling to pay via Western Union. I do not mind paying deposit via secured credit card but they had nothing of that sort.

Fortuna is very quiet, off the main street and away from the touristy area but you do get good rest and without distraction. It is walking distance (15-20mins walk) to Prawirotawan area. By taxi, it costs less than USD 2 dollars to get to the main Marlioboro street.

If you prefer to walk in, then you must better head to main backpackers street - Sosrowijayan street (which is adjacent to Malioboro) and Prawirotaman area. Try these areas, a lot of guest houses, losmen and budget. As I have huge preference for "quiet and peaceful rest" and so, Fortuna may be too boring and quiet for most people (not much happening).

I can't comment on Manohara since I did not stay there. Most people stay there is to get up to Borobudur temple for sunrise at heavily discounted rate. Borobudur is a MUST see whereas Prambanan is only so-so or average.

I find Candi Ceto and Candi Sukuh in Solo more interesting. Ambarawa- Rawa Pening is really beautiful. Btw, if you stay in Borobudur area, it is on the same province and it will be nearer to Ambarawa.

Street scene and bird market in Yogya are good and interesting but the other major cities sight like Kraton or Water Castle are average.

You can see the trip photos in
http://lestwe4getphotos.blogspot.com/

Thanks for your info! I got back safely, and when in Jogya, I went to parawirotaman area, as you mentioned, and walked about to check out many guesthouses until I found the Pulung Guesthouse at gang opp Parawirotaman II. It was 110k Rp a night for a double room w ac tv hot shower bf and a lovely garden view!

I made reservation from the mentioned website. They asked for deposit but I had refused since it was not specified as requirement in the first place and also, I was unwilling to pay via Western Union. I do not mind paying deposit via secured credit card but they had nothing of that sort.

Fortuna is very quiet, off the main street and away from the touristy area but you do get good rest and without distraction. It is walking distance (15-20mins walk) to Prawirotawan area. By taxi, it costs less than USD 2 dollars to get to the main Marlioboro street.

If you prefer to walk in, then you must better head to main backpackers street - Sosrowijayan street (which is adjacent to Malioboro) and Prawirotaman area. Try these areas, a lot of guest houses, losmen and budget. As I have huge preference for "quiet and peaceful rest" and so, Fortuna may be too boring and quiet for most people (not much happening).

I can't comment on Manohara since I did not stay there. Most people stay there is to get up to Borobudur temple for sunrise at heavily discounted rate. Borobudur is a MUST see whereas Prambanan is only so-so or average.

I find Candi Ceto and Candi Sukuh in Solo more interesting. Ambarawa- Rawa Pening is really beautiful. Btw, if you stay in Borobudur area, it is on the same province and it will be nearer to Ambarawa.

Street scene and bird market in Yogya are good and interesting but the other major cities sight like Kraton or Water Castle are average.

You can see the trip photos in
http://lestwe4getphotos.blogspot.com/

I would suggest that you visit either Borobudur or Prambanan on day 1 evening.
If you are up for adventure and some challenge, consider visiting Mount Merapi, an active volcano. It's an overnight trip where you hike up the mountain to catch the sunrise.

The mountain from afar
7756114_0690f93fbc.jpg

The view from the top
7755667_ae0175c633.jpg
7756051_b7a44752e3.jpg
7755936_01da87a02e.jpg
7755711_z484707107.jpg

The Daeng Plateau is also a recommendation by the local tour operators.

FOOD
If you are staying at Hotel Phoenix, consider dining at Kedai 3 Nyonya just opposite the road. It's a lot cheaper compared to the hotel food.
Other than gudeg, try the bakso, which is a soup dish similar to Yong Tau Foo, but mostly minced beef.

Now that our trip's only a month away, something came up: Mt Bromo.

We've seen lots and lots of very nice Mt Bromo shots and would wanna be a witness to this nature's wonder too. Understand from others that Borobudur and Prambanan can be covered in a day so just wondering if we'd be able to squeeze Mt Bromo into our itinerary. Is this feasible? How long is the trip gonna be from Yogyakarta to Mt Bromo (understand it's on the other end of Java)? Any idea how much the cost is/will be?

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.