Yogyakarta, Borobudur temple

Kopiko79

Nov 22, 2009
East
Hi Fellow CSers,

Am planning a trip to visit the Borobudur temple in mid nov.

Will greatly appreciate if you do not mind sharing your itinerary and tour contacts

Cheers

You can find my Borobodur / Yogyakarta Itinerary here.

Do try the Suharti's Fried Chicken. It's really good. :)

:Later,

sorry Kopiko79, hope u don't mind piggyback your thread

pinoy,
gorgeous fotos! really beautiful temple .. thanks for recommending
http://www.borobudurpark.co.id/

care to share the approx cost for private transport?
how longer need to wake up for viewing sunrise? thks!

is Malioboro chicken available there as well?

http://www.borobudurpark.co.id/[/url]

care to share the approx cost for private transport?
how longer need to wake up for viewing sunrise? thks!

is Malioboro chicken available there as well?
Thanks. We were quite a big group (10+) so we got a mini-bus. We paid 3.75 million rupiah for the whole duration of our trip (4D3N), and that included the driver and petrol, but excludes any toll, entrance or parking fee. Pondok do have other vehicles (we were offered a Kijang and L300 when we decided to visit Bromo a few months later) so you may wanna drop them an email to check.

As for the sunrise you will have to wake up early. I think we were up at around 4am. The trip from Yogyakarta to Borobudur is about an hour. The park opens up its gates for non-Manohara guests at 6am if I remember correctly. Manohara guests can go in by 5am, I was told.

As for the chicken... it's not really along the stretch of Malioboro. We passed it from the airport and when we went to Batu Ruko. We just told the driver to take us there (Suharti Fried Chicken was recommended by a collague) and he took care of the arrangment.

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing Pinoy! Makes me wanna book an air tix and fly over!!! i've scheduled this trip for March!

thanks, i think 3.75 million rp for 4D3N with 10+ is inexpensive
probably can only plan for next year, wait for monsoon & haze to clear

Thanks. We were quite a big group (10+) so we got a mini-bus. We paid 3.75 million rupiah for the whole duration of our trip (4D3N), and that included the driver and petrol, but excludes any toll, entrance or parking fee. Pondok do have other vehicles (we were offered a Kijang and L300 when we decided to visit Bromo a few months later) so you may wanna drop them an email to check.

As for the sunrise you will have to wake up early. I think we were up at around 4am. The trip from Yogyakarta to Borobudur is about an hour. The park opens up its gates for non-Manohara guests at 6am if I remember correctly. Manohara guests can go in by 5am, I was told.

As for the chicken... it's not really along the stretch of Malioboro. We passed it from the airport and when we went to Batu Ruko. We just told the driver to take us there (Suharti Fried Chicken was recommended by a collague) and he took care of the arrangment.

Thanks for setting up this thread. I will be going to Jogyakarta, Borobudur from the 11th-14th November too. Will we be there at the same time?
Cheers

Nice Borobudur shoot. You went for sunrise tour?
I planned my visit to Borobudur very minimal, only base on info from wikitravel.

Not a bad idea to stay at Borobudur. Stay at Manohara hotel (just immediate beside the site) will include an entrance for 2 person.
www.manoharaborobudur.com

Sunrise at Borobudur usually happen around 5am (GMT+7). The sunrise tour started at 4.30am.

Hotel guess are not automatically granted sunrise entrance

For hotel guest to get sunrise tour ticket, need pay additional Rp175 000 per person. For non guest, need pay Rp320 000 per person.

Fyi, normal entrance (6am-5pm) is USD15 for non-local. If you speak good Bahasa Indonesia, you may (try) purchase ticket at local price of Rp15000. This has been done several times by several people, they shared online.

Shen siung,
great recommendation as well .... are their traditional dance held @ Borobodur?
i guess best to go during dry season say Apr ~ Jun?

share with us when u r back, my next trip after my cambodia.. it will be early next yr for me. :D

hi,
for those planning to travel to central java soon, please do take note ....

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101026/ap_on_sc/as_indonesia_volcano
Indonesian volcano erupts, 20 injured by hot ash

By SLAMET RIYADI, Associated Press Slamet Riyadi, Associated Press – 1 min ago

MOUNT MERAPI, Indonesia – Indonesia's most volatile volcano erupted Tuesday, after scientists warned that pressure building beneath its dome could trigger the most powerful eruption in years. A 2-month old baby reportedly died as panicked villagers fled the area.

Up to 20 people were injured by hot ash spewed from Mount Merapi, said an AP reporter who witnessed them being taken away for treatment.

Some 11,400 villagers who live on the 9,737-foot (2,968-metre) -high mountain were urged to evacuate, but only those within four miles (seven kilometers) of the crater were forced by authorities to do so. Most of those who fled were the elderly and children. Some adults said they decided to stay to tend to homes and farms on the fertile slopes.

There are fears that the current activity could foreshadow a much more destructive explosion in the coming weeks or months, though it is possible, too, that the volcano will settle back down after a slow, long period of letting off steam.

As they contended with the volcano, Indonesian officials were also trying to assess the impact of Monday's 7.7-magnitude earthquake off the coast of Sumatra, about 800 miles (1,300 kilometers) from Merapi. The temblor caused a tsunami that left hundreds dead or missing on a string of remote islands.

Private MetroTV reported that the baby died when a mother ran in panic after the eruption started. Its report cited a local doctor and showed the mother weeping as the baby was covered with a white blanket at a hospital. The report did not make clear if it was a boy or girl.

Subandriyo, the chief vulcanologist in the area, said the eruption started just before dusk Tuesday. The volcano had rumbled and groaned for hours.

"There was a thunderous rumble that went on for ages, maybe 15 minutes," said Sukamto, a farmer who by nightfall had yet to abandon his home on the slopes. "Then huge plumes of hot ash started shooting up into the air."

Scientists have warned the pressure building beneath the dome could presage one of the biggest eruptions in years at Merapi, literally Mountain of Fire, which lies on the main island of Java, some 310 miles (500 kilometers) southeast of the capital Jakarta.

Last edited:
Dangerous now. Yog is very close to Merapi. Hope it will not hurt borobudur and prambanam and nice ppl in central java.

Dangerous now. Yog is very close to Merapi. Hope it will not hurt borobudur and prambanam and nice ppl in central java.
Borobudur is very far away from Merapi... But yes, it's quite dangerous now to go up the Mt. Merapi area..

That is another attraction in Yogja, Mt. Merapi.

My itenary the last time I went to Yogya is to stay @ the Borobudur park for a night and head to the Yogya city the day after. The Borobudur hotel is quite ex compared to the hotels in the city. And it's more convenient to stay in the city because it's nearer to the tourist attractions..

Batik is one of Yogya's (or Indo) work of art. You should ask your driver to bring you to a Batik outlet. It can cost from 150,000 Rp. to 400, 000 Rp (depending on colour, patterns,etc) for a Batik shirt/dress. And you might want to buy Bakpia 25 back home (sth like SG's Tou Sar Piah but they have diff. flavours). I bought one box to eat there and decided to buy 10 boxes home (each box = 25 pieces) . hahaha..

Shen siung,
great recommendation as well .... are their traditional dance held @ Borobodur?
i guess best to go during dry season say Apr ~ Jun?

Forgot read from somewhere seems good to visit during dry season as you mentioned.
Seems no traditional dance (or, not that frequent)

guess better watch merapi status before go there.. i was there and the good things is the temple and food, but for beach, of course Bali better ;)

My plan to Yogja this coming Thursday will probably be cancelled. According to a Indon friend, they have closed Joyja airport and 2 days ago closed the jarkarta airport too. Becuase of merapi, Dieng, Bromo and a few other volcalnoes are also becoming more active..Borobudur has been covered in ash and travellers are only allowed to go the base..
No flights there, how to go?:(

My plan to Yogja this coming Thursday will probably be cancelled. According to a Indon friend, they have closed Joyja airport and 2 days ago closed the jarkarta airport too. Becuase of merapi, Dieng, Bromo and a few other volcalnoes are also becoming more active..Borobudur has been covered in ash and travellers are only allowed to go the base..
No flights there, how to go?:(

i think be safe is more important... wait a while then...
i oso want to go there but has to be patient now..:p