YOG Preview, Opening and Closing Ceremonies

the blocked off area is only the river right? means the land for viewing fireworks is still the same as ndp?

the blocked off area is only the river right? means the land for viewing fireworks is still the same as ndp?
yup, i think it will still be open to the public, or else the businesses in the area will suffer. :)

yup, i think it will still be open to the public, or else the businesses in the area will suffer. :)

i see.. just that i don't know what time it'll be going off.. :bsmilie:

the live broadcast of the opening ceremony is at around 7.30pm and ends at around 10pm. so i think the main fireworks will fire off at around 9.30pm?

I received a complimentary ticket for the CR4 (Preview) tonite but unfortunately it stated on ticket no forms of photography/videography allowed :(

Anyone else attending later? Going down soon but sans camera gear...

I received a complimentary ticket for the CR4 (Preview) tonite but unfortunately it stated on ticket no forms of photography/videography allowed :(

Anyone else attending later? Going down soon but sans camera gear...

Yups, they would not allow professional gears to shoot any of the event. But they dont mind using point and shoot camera.

SYOG are strict with photography. PNS can.

opening ceremony 14th aug, closing ceremony 26th

Yups, they would not allow professional gears to shoot any of the event. But they dont mind using point and shoot camera.

SYOG are strict with photography. PNS can.
Thanks...but in the end I din bring anything, just go there enjoy the show lar.

I saw tons of ppl using PnS and hp cam though....and also spotted a few DSLR in the crowd...even got one fella set up videocam on tripod and recording the whole show...security didn't seem bothered about it though.

Quite impressive show...lots of glitzy state of the art effects were used - though in the end it just felt like a extended NDP show for me. lol. Kudos to the performers and volunteers though...all of them seemed pretty enthusiastic. :thumbsup:

Those interested to shoot fireworks, not all were fired from the Marina Bay itself...some came from roof of OUB/UOB plaza, NTUC building, Standard Charted bank etc, and there was also another firing area behind MBS (near Benjamin Sheares bridge) where the high level ones were shot.

i was there just now. trying to shoot from padang. not a bad spot. but some fireworks got covered.

Was at CR4 earlier. Not too impressed with the show (segments too disjointed and non-Singaporeans probably wouldn't get a lot of local references) nor the fireworks (sparse and mostly too far away, behind Sheares Bridge). Think they skipped the finale though (maybe for secrecy) and perhaps also the finale fireworks?

Pls note that Helix Bridge is sealed off. - pity coz it is probably one of the better spots to view the fireworks, since the bulk of the large works are fired from behind Sheares Bridge.

Was at CR4 earlier. Not too impressed with the show (segments too disjointed and non-Singaporeans probably wouldn't get a lot of local references) nor the fireworks (sparse and mostly too far away, behind Sheares Bridge). Think they skipped the finale though (maybe for secrecy) and perhaps also the finale fireworks?

Pls note that Helix Bridge is sealed off. - pity coz it is probably one of the better spots to view the fireworks, since the bulk of the large works are fired from behind Sheares Bridge.
From what I heard it was only 10% of actual day that was fired for the CR4. But yeah a lot was fired from behind MBS. Quite far away too.

Yes Helix Bridge was sealed off...and also they put up a lot of metal barricades at the pedestrian walkway of Esplanade bridge...for security reason I guess? But a lot of the potential viewing spots around the area are prolly also locked down already.

I didnt know there's a show earlier..
So was the fireworks at 930pm?

The organisers banned photography and videography equipments for the rehearsals for fear of the audience posting the rehearsal proceedings on the internet. They want to maintain as much secrecy as possible till the actual day. Imagine someone paying $200 for tickets to watch the opening ceremony when photos or videos of the show, albeit rehearsals, had already been posted all over the internet. :)

In addition, viewership for YOG is targeted towards both national and international audiences. This is unlike NDP where it is a national event and tickets are given out free...

Last edited:
Hmm... with that said, do you think my 5D MkII or 40D would make it pass the security into Bishan Sport Stadium for the gymnastics events?

:( I hope it's OK to bring my DSLR in... I am no pro photographer, just that my gears are LOL..