Yo photo buddies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellrealm

Sep 27, 2009
www.flickr.com
Hi all fellow photo buddies/enthusiasts. Just registered in CS not long ago and is in mid of getting myself more poisoned. Wish to get some good experience and info here.

Feel free to view my shots in my Flickr.

Cheers!

welcome!! share some photos here :)

Hi Hellrealm,

welcome to CS.

dear experienced,

would like to find out some info, noob question:

1. read about 24-70mm L on a crop body and most recommended to go for 17-55mm. what is the diff in focal length between a EF-S 18-55mm (kit) with the EF-S 17-55mm on 450D? am i getting 28.8 (18 x 1.6) - 88 (55 x 1.6) with the kit lens on 450D?
2. be it EF or EF-S, we have to put a x1.6 to get actual focal length?
3. what lens range will produce crooked edge photo? 10-22mm etc?

tx!

bump n help! explanations needed on following:

1. read about 24-70mm L on a crop body and most recommended to go for 17-55mm. what is the diff in focal length between a EF-S 18-55mm (kit) with the EF-S 17-55mm on 450D? am i getting 28.8 (18 x 1.6) - 88 (55 x 1.6) with the kit lens on 450D?
3. what lens range will produce crooked/distorted edge photo? 10-22mm etc?

bump n help! explanations needed on following:

3. what lens range will produce crooked/distorted edge photo? 10-22mm etc?

Hi Hellrealm... Welcome to Clubsnap.

Regardless of what lens it is (EF or EF-S), the values for the focal length are according to a consistent system.

For example, the EF 24-70 (meant for a full-frame camera) and the EF-S 18-55 kit lens, both turned to 24mm, will give the same field of view on your 450D, which is a crop-factor body. For every lens, you have to multiply by 1.6x in order to get the equivalent field of view as you would on a fullframe camera.

I'm not sure what you mean by crooked/distorted edge photo.
Do you mean like a fisheye? If so, then 10-22 cannot satisfy your requirement. It is a rectilinear ultra-wide angle lens. However, due to wide-angle distortions, objects at the corners (eg buildings) look like they're tilting inwards.

On crop 1.6x bodies, you have to mutiply all focus length of any EF & EFS lenses with 1.6x.

You'll bound to see barral distortion on wider lens, it is a norm. Before buying the lens, you can check the sample images from DPreview to see how bad the barral distortion is. Apart from that, there is also flare reflections and chromatic aberrations (CA) which a lens can possibly produce and one may want to look out for.

On another note, EF-S lens can only be mounted on crop bodies. EF lens can be mounted on both crop and full frame bodies.

thanks pal ZerocoolAstra and NovJoe!

i think ive got what u mean now, means for all who r on kit 18-55mm, we've already used to effective focal length of 28.8-88mm due to 1.6x crop. in order to have the same field of view in fullframe, it has to be a 28.8-88mm lens on fullframe body. correct me if im wrong haha. if im getting a 17-55mm (no doubt much better quality than kit), im getting quite the same field of view in the 18-55mm kit as compared to 24-70L. actually contemplating btw 17-55mm and 24-70L~

oh barrel distortion it is called keke. yes thats what i meant, not fisheye type but slight distortion on edge of photo on ultra wide lens. may i know what is the minimum focal length will produce such result? only a 10-22mm will produce it?

thanks pal ZerocoolAstra and NovJoe!

i think ive got what u mean now, means for all who r on kit 18-55mm, we've already used to effective focal length of 28.8-88mm due to 1.6x crop. in order to have the same field of view in fullframe, it has to be a 28.8-88mm lens on fullframe body. correct me if im wrong haha. if im getting a 17-55mm (no doubt much better quality than kit), im getting quite the same field of view in the 18-55mm kit as compared to 24-70L. actually contemplating btw 17-55mm and 24-70L~

oh barrel distortion it is called keke. yes thats what i meant, not fisheye type but slight distortion on edge of photo on ultra wide lens. may i know what is the minimum focal length will produce such result? only a 10-22mm will produce it?

I think the 17-55 is a much more "crop-body-friendly" lens than the 24-70, though it must be said that this doesn't apply ALL the time. Some people do a great job with the narrower field of view.
Canon's 1.6x crop factor is already higher than the 1.5x of the Nikons, so... to me at least, wide-ness is very important. I used my kit lens at 18mm for many shots, and have now gone to a 12-24 lens.

Not necessarily only ultra-wide angle lenses produce noticeable barrel distortion. You should check out review sites like photozone.de which give graphs and stuff showing the amount of distortion for lenses at certain focal lengths.

Last edited:
thats what i heard fr a pro too, go for 17-55mm f2.8 rather than a 24-70 f2.8 L haha.

1 more things that puzzles me (sorry taking the chance hehe), does "filter thread size" play a role in the "wideness" of photo taken? we have a 52mm on kit, some is 58mm, some is 67mm, some is 77mm? bigger thread size means more things to be captured in the photo, or it does not really count that way? does bigger thread size usually means that lens is more pricey n higher quality? :bsmilie:

thats what i heard fr a pro too, go for 17-55mm f2.8 rather than a 24-70 f2.8 L haha.

1 more things that puzzles me (sorry taking the chance hehe), does "filter thread size" play a role in the "wideness" of photo taken? we have a 52mm on kit, some is 58mm, some is 67mm, some is 77mm? bigger thread size means more things to be captured in the photo, or it does not really count that way? does bigger thread size usually means that lens is more pricey n higher quality? :bsmilie:

no la... the focal length determines how 'wide' the image will be.
It just so happens that ultra-wide lenses have large thread sizes, probably because of their internal lens arrangement which requires a large front.
The 70-200 f/2.8 L is also 77mm thread diameter, if I'm not mistaken, and that's certainly not a wide lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.