Yo Pentax bros! New KX snapper here

tsammyc

Apr 7, 2010
My last SLR was a Pentax ME that I bought in 1979 so it is with some nostalgia that I just bought a KX single lens kit and 77 limited lens for just over $2K from Jason at SLR Revolution. The KX is very much like my old ME in that it is lightest in class and has great lenses. Unfortunately, I gave away my Pentax and all my lenses only about 10 years ago when I shifted house and found that they were all horribly mouldy. Really regret that especially my Takumar 50mm 1.7. Never thought the digital revolution would come this far and that the KX would be compatible with old Pentax lenses.

In between the two Pentax SLRs, I've had a host of point and shoots from Canon from 1MP to 12MP, with the last two being the Canon SD10 (great camera) and the Canon Ixus 120 (not so great). I haven't seen the Ixus 120 since I bought it because my daughter decided she liked it. Originally, I eyeing the Canon S90 due to its low light capability, but a buddy acquired the K7 and when I found out that the KX was the same price as the S90 and a Pentax, it was pretty much decided. The only pictures I would spend money on and really want super sharp are portraits of my family, so I decided to get the 77 limited portrait lens even though it cost an arm and a leg.

Still learning the KX, but what I am really impressed with is the ISO 1600 and ISO 3200 performance and in-body stabilisation. I even manage to hand hold a ISO 6400 shot of my dim solar powered lights at 1/10s and they came out clear with the kit lens at F4.0

4496883408_e37b1928f0_b.jpg

The 77 Ltd lens is great, but on normal outdoor shots like the one below, any P&S can do it. BTW if you look carefully the girl is looking at me. Even at 120mm (35mm equivalent), I'm not far away enough to take discretely. This was outside Paragon.

4486551088_725affd0f4_b.jpg

There was a kids fashion show at Paragon and the following shots I think show the KX strong indoor capability at ISO 1600 and 3200 with a fast lens

4485907107_50a12f136c_b.jpg

4486560130_75712a401e_b.jpg

The next shot shows the crowd reaction. The caucasian boy is overexposed (I was on spot, but missed I think). However, it brought out more clearly the reaction of the crowd to cute kids.

4486553718_0dd0e11ed4_b.jpg

Congrats on your purchase.. and welcome back :D

Welcome back.:)
I was once a lost Prodigal Pentax Son.:bsmilie:

Just acquired a DA* 50-250 zoom at almost 3x the price of the KX. I originally wanted a P&S, ended up with the KX because it was cheap and now I'm spending my kid's university fund :embrass: Rushed home with the lens, but by the time I got home it was 705PM so I had to use ISO3200 and quickly take some shots before it got completely dark. These two are at F4 at 250mm. Uncropped JPEGS. Unfortunately you can see some noise at ISO3200. Interestingly, the photos make it seem brighter than it actually was. Must be Pentax gain boosters... Will take more shots this weekend when there is actually some light....

4537151639_2939cc1a9b_b.jpg

4537332255_9c9f08a2ef_b.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the pentax community.
ur LBA is really bad man. within 1wk u brought a kx with 2 more lens.
Hope to c more photos from u.

Welcome to the Rebellion, the Light Side welcomes you.:)

Welcome to Pentax and grates on K-X + new lenses :D

FA77 limited and DA*60-250 in less than 2 weeks.... ;p;p;p

Goodness, 77 and 60-250 in a week. Thats like no.5 and no.1 on the pentax price guide.

HAHA..i'm starting to believe that you really used your son's uni fund.
And even so, your CO is quiet about these aquisitions... :thumbsup:

ended up with the KX because it was cheap and now I'm spending my kid's university fund :embrass:

dun worry lah... university tuition can use CPF to pay also ;)

u would want a good camera to take pix of them during the commencement ceremony :cool:

Hi, any K-x users here staying in Jurong?