Yippie! Got my 1st telephoto lens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

infusia

Dec 9, 2005
Hi guys,

after so much talk and such, had finally got my Sigma 70-300mm APO F4-5.6 DG Macro lens. Mounted it on my D50 and it sure felt heavy as compared to the kit lens. Auto focus is alittle noisy. Macro at 200-300 is damn good!! But the switch is abit troublesome though. You have to be at full 300mm and 1:2.x macro in order to switch it to normal else the switch will not move at all. the zoom ring is abit stiff imo as compared to the kit lens. Maybe need some seasoning... Bought a Tokina UV lens filter with it as well.

After coming home, realise that my camera bag does not fit the camera, kit lens and this sigma lens. The free Nikon bag is too huge for just these items. Think need to get another bag already.. haha..

Anyway... total damage at CP(Peninsula) was $330 for lens and $10 for UV filter. The uncle was very nice. He even took his shop's D50, load the card and batt and let me play with it before closing the deal. Now that's customer service as compared to my weekend experience at AP :thumbsup:

I suggest you not to buy a smaller bag. There is no point buying a smaller bag to just to keep your current setup. You might consider to get your external flash and some other lens in future and in the end, the small bag will be end up at home collecting dust. Erh.. i got no problem dealing with AP either on weekend or weekdays, their service is very good from what i encounter with them.

Enjoy shooting..! ;)

Congrats. :) Welcome to telephoto (ie 300mm and up) land. Does your new lens come with tripod collar? Maybe can look into getting a tripod too, for lens of 300mm and up, best results are obtained if its mounted on a tripod or monopod. Good handholding techniques also help. (remember the 1/focal length reciprocal rule as a rough guide for shutter speed when handholding).

Enjoy your new toy and post pics!

Garion said:
Congrats. :) Welcome to telephoto (ie 300mm and up) land. Does your new lens come with tripod collar? Maybe can look into getting a tripod too, for lens of 300mm and up, best results are obtained if its mounted on a tripod or monopod. Good handholding techniques also help. (remember the 1/focal length reciprocal rule as a rough guide for shutter speed when handholding).

nope..the 70-300mms dont come with tripod collars, as when they are in use, they are mounted onto the camera body which is in turn mounted onto the tripod.:)

Reno said:
I suggest you not to buy a smaller bag. There is no point buying a smaller bag to just to keep your current setup. You might consider to get your external flash and some other lens in future and in the end, the small bag will be end up at home collecting dust. Erh.. i got no problem dealing with AP either on weekend or weekdays, their service is very good from what i encounter with them.

Enjoy shooting..! ;)

hmm.. u got a point too. right now i dun think i'll get another bag. i'll use my current bag for the D50 +kit lens, then the sigma lens, since it comes with a pouch, i'll attach it to my waist or to the bag together for the time being. I'll be getting SB600 next year.. so hopefully the huge bag will come in handy!

I duno leh... maybe i sway or i have the beng looks bah.. anyway... forget it... i already bought from CP.. satisfied!! :lovegrin:

Garion said:

(remember the 1/focal length reciprocal rule as a rough guide for shutter speed when handholding). >-- can u explain this alittle? i'm new...

and indeed a tripod is really a must. i tried to take some shots. tryin to stabalised at the max zoom... from the viewfinder, i can see the subject jumping alittle due to my shake... hahaha... must learn handholding else will hav to carry tripod ard...

Garion said:

Telephoto is 300m and more? Then the 80-200 classify under what?

JediForce4ever said:
nope..the 70-300mms dont come with tripod collars, as when they are in use, they are mounted onto the camera body which is in turn mounted onto the tripod.:)

yeap! lucky my free tripod still can withstand the weight of the lens... it dosen't sinks when i move my hands away from it... but maybe come Feb, its time for a new tripod! hahaha

infusia said:
(remember the 1/focal length reciprocal rule as a rough guide for shutter speed when handholding). >-- can u explain this alittle? i'm new...

and indeed a tripod is really a must. i tried to take some shots. tryin to stabalised at the max zoom... from the viewfinder, i can see the subject jumping alittle due to my shake... hahaha... must learn handholding else will hav to carry tripod ard...
to avoid handshakes in your pics, the rule is that your shutter speed have to be 1/your zoom length.

TMC said:
to avoid handshakes in your pics, the rule is that your shutter speed have to be 1/your zoom length.

which means to say if i zoom at 300mm.. my shutter speed has to be 1/300 and more?

infusia said:
which means to say if i zoom at 300mm.. my shutter speed has to be 1/300 and more?

Yap, like what TMC said. If your focal length is at 300mm, try to use 1/focal length as a rule of thumb to avoid camera shake. :think:

congrats.... this is a very good and sharp lens....
you certainly did your homework.....

now is the time to go out there and shoot.... and post your pics for us to enjoy.... :)

get a bigger bag

Francis247 said:
Yap, like what TMC said. If your focal length is at 300mm, try to use 1/focal length as a rule of thumb to avoid camera shake. :think:

got it! thanks! :cool:

erictan8888 said:
congrats.... this is a very good and sharp lens....
you certainly did your homework.....

now is the time to go out there and shoot.... and post your pics for us to enjoy.... :)

yeah.. been asking alot abt it here then just now at the shop, still ask for comments. :sweat: :bsmilie:
only took a few shots for trying purpose... still learning the way this lens focuses.
if too short, it just refuse to focus. then hav to step back...

yeap will post shots taken. prolly during christmas, go ard to take pics! :)

user111 said:
get a bigger bag

no $$$ liao :cry:
have to live with wat i have and belt the sigma lens ard me...
maybe nex month or so bah...:cry:

your current bag is big enough to house your D50 body, kit lens, a external flash and your zoom lens. Do some proper arrangement for your bag compartment. No problem one..! ;p

Reno said:
your current bag is big enough to house your D50 body, kit lens, a external flash and your zoom lens. Do some proper arrangement for your bag compartment. No problem one..! ;p

my current bag is this
2000_01_s3_rbig.jpg

i try to arrange body and lens oni but it can hold either the kit lens or sigma only...
i guess i nv factor future ens purchase when i gt this bag. :(

erh.. i refer to your free nikon bag. I saw the free nikon bag that comes with D50. It is quite big. Try

Reno said:
erh.. i refer to your free nikon bag. I saw the free nikon bag that comes with D50. It is quite big. Try

oh.. i did try. but very empty after putting everything. hahaha~~ too big!!

Status
Not open for further replies.