Yip Cheong Fun Photo Exhibition(Cultural Medallion Winner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

betazone

May 2, 2004
Little Red Dot
Hi,
THere is this photo gallery located at 5,Banda Street,#02-82, Chinatown where it shows nearly all the photos by Yip Cheong Fun voted the best photograher of the century by New York Photographic Society for Seascape genre. Currently the place is run by his son. All the works are in black and white, and reprints are sold. The photos are mainly depicting life in the 50's and 60's, and trust me you will be astounded if you have not seen it before.
I chanced upon this show, while I was shooting yesterday. Maybe those that have seen it can spread the words, I just feel pitiful that such marvellous works received no funding from National Arts Council.

note: I am not related to the late photograher and derive no profit from this exhibition.

In case, the younger ones doesn't know who is Yip Cheong Fun.....He's the Hasselblad Masters from Singapore and a reputable member of the World Ethnic Chinese Society. Also a NAC Cultural Medallion in 1984. A great pity that he pass away in late 80s, if I didn't remember wrongly, 1989.

BTW, since 1990, the Photography category of the Cultural Medallist has not seen any new receipients. so sad......

jcryan55 said:
In case, the younger ones doesn't know who is Yip Cheong Fun.....He's the Hasselblad Masters from Singapore and a reputable member of the World Ethnic Chinese Society. Also a NAC Cultural Medallion in 1984. A great pity that he pass away in late 80s, if I didn't remember wrongly, 1989.

BTW, since 1990, the Photography category of the Cultural Medallist has not seen any new receipients. so sad......

I can't be sure about this. I met Tan Lip Seng months ago. I remembered that he was awarded Cultural Medallion. Pls correct me if I am not right.

Tan Lip Seng was awarded the Medallion a year before Yip Cheong Fun, in 1983. You can go to NAC's website to see the whole list of cultural medallion awardees.

Manfred Ng said:
ANyone knows how long does this exhibition last?
According to his son who is running the place, it will last as long as he can "tahan".

A very familiar name to me, in fact I got the newpapers cutting reporting his departure in 1989/9/16@1130hrs while waiting for the last train at Chinese Garden MRT station.

Let me see, I will scan the reporting and let CSers here to see the report in Chinese LianHe ZaoBao.

This is the newspaper cutting I kept it many years ago.

33306898.jpg

33306929.jpg

I did a google search on Yip Cheong Fun and the first link is here...

I met up with his son today and looked at the photos taken by his father and talk about his works

truely remarkable, work by a master...

Would you know if the gallery is still open and showing the works?

check the NEW Mr Yip Cheong Fun official website, with more updates on the valuable photographs.

www.yipcheongfun.com

All clubsnap members will entitled to 10-20% discount on the reprints.

Just mention you are Clubsnap member and referred by Mr See Toh.:)

Terence said:
Would you know if the gallery is still open and showing the works?

The gallery is no longer there. This post first appeared in 2004, 2 years ago. :bsmilie:

thw said:
The gallery is no longer there. This post first appeared in 2004, 2 years ago. :bsmilie:

confirmed????
the link given by redstar19 is very new leh and the add is still ta same....

thw said:

That's why I'm asking since the post is old.

Damien said:
confirmed????
the link given by redstar19 is very new leh and the add is still ta same....

Ya. I just went there this Sunday. :cry: That unit is now converted into some acupuncture (?) place.

thw said:
Ya. I just went there this Sunday. :cry: That unit is now converted into some acupuncture (?) place.

it is at the heritage centre at Chinatown, the store has moved outside.
or you can call Mr Yip (his son) at 6323 2318

Take MRT to Chinatown, (store open 7 days a week)
Chinatown Heritage Center
50 Pagoda Street

the website is just completed last week...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.