Yet Another Newbie Asking For Advice Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabchia

Feb 25, 2009
Hi! Gab here, well, I got hooked when my friend loaned me his Nikon D40 and I've been lurking for a while seeking my first DSLR. I have a Pana LX 3 that I'm using right now as well by the way.

Anyway, I'm sure this is the 27846720th time guys have been asked this question regarding which camera should I go for.

In anycase, I'm kind of torn between getting the Nikon D40 off my friend (He is planning to upgrade) with the stock kit lens or a 2nd hand Olympus E520.

I guess as a new comer to this, I know I should not spend too much on a total new setup and learn all the nuances and features that will most certainly give me a few sleepless nights. However I tend to worry about the lack of the warranty if I go go for the D40. :)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

Oh, the Canon 450D and 1000D is equally enticing as well, and after reading so many threads. I guess the equipment doesn't matter to an extent, but what you do with it. :)

Edit : Just more info, I prefer to shoot scenery primarily and People second. I'm not sure if that's too abstract to be of any help though.

Last edited:
try out different bodies first to get the 'feel' but if your friend is letting go his d40 for cheap, then get that(provided that the shutter count is still within the healthy range..)

try out different bodies first to get the 'feel' but if your friend is letting go his d40 for cheap, then get that(provided that the shutter count is still within the healthy range..)

I'm mostly likely going to get flamed or something but what is considered a healthy range for the D40?

I think it has been with him for a couple of years and he does use it quite often.

Oh and another concern is for one, the D40 doesn't come with the IS function which will shooting pics in general however the quite a few reviews state it gives alot of noise in the pictures. Anyone?

Last edited:
Don't think there's shutter counter in nikons. Healthy range should be about 40-50k clicks. Most cameras are rated for 100-150k, but don't take this for granted

Don't think there's shutter counter in nikons. Healthy range should be about 40-50k clicks. Most cameras are rated for 100-150k, but don't take this for granted

Alright I'm pretty sure I can google how to check the shutter count for a Nikon right? Thanks for the spoon feeding mate.

As an entry DSLR, and in particular about the IS and/or the lack of it anyway. Should I be concerned about it?

Alright I'm pretty sure I can google how to check the shutter count for a Nikon right? Thanks for the spoon feeding mate.

As an entry DSLR, and in particular about the IS and/or the lack of it anyway. Should I be concerned about it?

IS is useful only for long focal lengths. On the kit lens ard 18-55 mm focal length, it's basically not necessary. :)

By the way for Canon and Nikon, IS/VR is on the lenses. On Olympus, IS is on the Cam body.

Yeap! Planning to head down to John 3:16 to have a feel and ask for advice. Have been buying my P & S from them usually.

However I was wondering If I will miss out on the Oly's internal IS which I feel is pretty good since it benefits all the lens with you can fit on it.

Sony Alpha cams also bulit in IS
Super Steady Shot.
;)

So far only Sony, Pentax & Olympus has adopted the in-body image stabiliser. You may want to consider these models if you want the build in IS.

Sony
A200
A300
A350

Pentax
K20D
K200D

Olympus
E520

Alright, I'll go waste Samuel's time later on!

However can anyone point out or point me in the direction of the disadvantages of the Oly 4/3 system?

Don't think there's shutter counter in nikons.

Can try Opanda iExif to check the shutter count. Nikon registers the counts in the shots.

Ryan

Alright, I'll go waste Samuel's time later on!

However can anyone point out or point me in the direction of the disadvantages of the Oly 4/3 system?

I wouldn't say disadvantage, but rather weakness. Due to the smaller sensor, the noise level may be more prominent, however, this can be overcome by purchasing a noise removal software. Another thing is that I find that the Olympus lenses are more pricey.

In anycase, I'm kind of torn between getting the Nikon D40 off my friend (He is planning to upgrade) with the stock kit lens or a 2nd hand Olympus E520.

I guess as a new comer to this, I know I should not spend too much on a total new setup and learn all the nuances and features that will most certainly give me a few sleepless nights. However I tend to worry about the lack of the warranty if I go go for the D40. :)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

Oh, the Canon 450D and 1000D is equally enticing as well, and after reading so many threads. I guess the equipment doesn't matter to an extent, but what you do with it. :)

Hi, you might want to share with us the type of budget to work on ? :)

Of course the lower the better!

But I believe anything in the range of 1K and below for a start, perhaps just for the body and kit lens.

Just to start out and go take some pictures and learn more about the features.

Yea, my impression is that since the IS for the Canons and Nikons were on the lens, therefore they would usually cost way more. Therefore kind of a turn off for me.

@ Galdor : Alright, thanks for the info. In this case, I guess in the long run, it would be benefital to me to get a Nikon or Canon perhaps.

As mentioned above.

Go feel the cameras... see which feels better in your hands. The one which feels more comfortable would be more ideal.

next up, look at the camera as a system, each have it's pros and cons. Canon's tend to have better performance at the pro end (less the 1D MkIII) and also the tele. Nikon's have good wide angle lenses and a wonderful flash system. 4/3's have good reach due to the 2x crop factor (which incidentally is the problem for the noise). Fuji's have nice skin tones, but files tend to be larger and slower. You can research more on each brand and there are plenty more. I'll let you find out more yourself. ;)

Well, spend my evening yesterday trying out a few cameras, namely the Nikon D90, Canon 450D and the Sony A200.

I honestly would have picked up the Canon 450D on the spot, however the grip seems to be a tad small for me. Even with the battery grip, the feel of the Nikon was better on me.

I didn't have a chance to try the Oly unfortunately as time did not permit.

A friend suggested going for the 40D instead if there was one for a good price as it was bigger and heavier and might suit my grip.

Any other suggestions that anyone can share? Am I making too much of a meal of the grip for the 450D and go for it?

Well, spend my evening yesterday trying out a few cameras, namely the Nikon D90, Canon 450D and the Sony A200.

I honestly would have picked up the Canon 450D on the spot, however the grip seems to be a tad small for me. Even with the battery grip, the feel of the Nikon was better on me.

I didn't have a chance to try the Oly unfortunately as time did not permit.

A friend suggested going for the 40D instead if there was one for a good price as it was bigger and heavier and might suit my grip.

Any other suggestions that anyone can share? Am I making too much of a meal of the grip for the 450D and go for it?

For Nikon, I would go for D90.

Well, yea the grip is good and the kit lens is good enough for a start as well. I would pick up a 50mm to play with though! Haha

But the price honestly is putting me off slightly... : (

Would I be wiser getting a friend to get it in HK for me? I read there isn't any warranty coverage?

For your preference of subjects, you can consider a Pentax.
Good range of features and nice lenses at a good price point.

Do check out the sub-forums on each brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.