Yet another moon shot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsisaxon

Nov 29, 2004
DSC_2925s.jpg

D90, ISO400, 1/15s, Celestron Nexstar 5 (1250mm f/10). It was slightly cloudy but it gives a nice soft effect. ;p

Last edited:
Nice even though it look soft but still can manage to see the craters.
Any close shot on the craters?

Mine really sucks man. blurr
Using Celestron 90Mak @ 1200mm Iso200
re-adjust-lunar002.jpg

uncropped

lsisaxon, yours looks really good, even with the slow shutter.

mdzmr, not really sure what you did wrong there, looks close to my best shot with 105mm.

lsisaxon, looks really good but the slow shutter causes overexposure and the glow around the Moon. It may be the humidity in the air also contributed to the glow, but I think you should have had a bit faster speed.

Mdzmr, there is no EXIF, but my guess is too much camera and hand shake in combination with overexposure. The Moon is a sunny spot and is best taken under full manual control. 1/250s, f/8-11, Sunny day WB and at lest 200mm lens is a must to get good results.

Last edited:
lsisaxon, looks really good but the slow shutter causes overexposure and the glow around the Moon. It may be the humidity in the air also contributed to the glow, but I think you should have had a bit faster speed.

Mdzmr, there is no EXIF, but my guess is too much camera and hand shake in combination with overexposure. The Moon is a sunny spot and is best taken under full manual control. 1/250s, f/8-11, Sunny day WB and at lest 200mm lens is a must to get good results.

Olyflyer, I use Spotting Scope Celestron C90 Maksutov Cassegrain 1200mm focal range mounted on Sony A100.
Thanks for ur comments. Will try another attempt during the half moon.

Last edited:
Olyflyer, I use Spotting Scope Celestron C90 Maksutov Cassegrain 1200mm focal range mounted on Sony A100.
Ooops, I missed that part. I envy you for the lens.
Thanks for ur comments. Will try another attempt during the half moon.
It can also be that the day you tried was a bit too foggy or humid. Another thing which came to my mind is mirror lock to stabilize the camera. I think that is very important with the focal length. I'd set at least a 5 second self timer (or use a wire) to trigger the camera and set the mirror lock as well to make sure there is no shake when the shutter opens.

Good luck next time.

Ooops, I missed that part. I envy you for the lens.
It can also be that the day you tried was a bit too foggy or humid. Another thing which came to my mind is mirror lock to stabilize the camera. I think that is very important with the focal length. I'd set at least a 5 second self timer (or use a wire) to trigger the camera and set the mirror lock as well to make sure there is no shake when the shutter opens.

Good luck next time.

Thanks. I suspect is the mirror slap which cause the vibration.
Why I never think of that mirror lock. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.