Yes this is yet another canon or nikon thread :P

joneeee

Feb 5, 2011
Hey guys, I know this matter has been been whacked to death both on google and on clubsnap :eek: I've read most of the possible threads out there already and just like to get advice in a slightly different context.

I used the Canon 550D for abt 2.5 years and I think my skills have reached a decent level. So I would like to make an upgrade to buy my 1st brand new DSLR :D I liked the ease of use of the 550D, although I'm sure I'll figure out how to use a Nikon properly too. I'm looking at either a Canon 7D or a Nikon D7000. I'm not invested in any Canon/Nikon lenses currently, so little switching cost. I've read up on both, and all the comparisons on dpreview/clubsnap, etc, and am still finding it hard to make a decision. Both cameras seem very evenly matched, although some say the 7D is slightly better. Given that both are nearly the same,I'm trending towards Nikon, simply because of the cost. D7000 w/kit is $1888, while 7D is $3400 brand new. (nearly twice the cost). But of course, Nikon lenses are slightly more expensive...

What do you guys think, for a person who's buying his first brand new DSLR, who previously used a Canon 550D? What I did not like about the 550D was the autofocus, lack of a top LCD. Both the 7D and D7000 address these shortcomings quite nicely.

what are your top priorities in a dslr? what do you normally shoot?

have you tried both grips?

what are your top priorities in a dslr? what do you normally shoot?

have you tried both grips?

I'm looking primarily at Image Quality for still shots. I don't normally take videos. Low noise at high ISO is always good. In this respect, some say that D7000 beats the 7D by half a stop or so, but honestly from the comparisons out there, as long as you don't pixel peep, hard to see the difference also. (at least from the samples I've seen).

I've tried both grips, and both are fine with me.

Hah I guess the main problem for me is that both are pretty close together in specs and performance. So a bit hard to decide for a first semi-pro DSLR.

Bear in mind that when you decide to take that plunge, you are buying into a system, not just that camera body. Bodies come and go but lenses are the ones you want to check out since this is your dilemma.

Bear in mind that when you decide to take that plunge, you are buying into a system, not just that camera body. Bodies come and go but lenses are the ones you want to check out since this is your dilemma.

Hmm good point. Always hear a lot of people comparing dslr bodies, but not the entire systems as a whole. I'll go do some research the Canon and Nikon trinities, as well as the 20mm - 30mm primes that I'm likely to get.

this is all the more relevant given that current dslr technology seems to be peaking in some ways with the new generation 1dx, 5dmiii, d4, d800

oh yes... colour output from both systems as well... of course u can post process, but it makes a difference to some people :)

Yea I've noticed that the factory default settings of my friends' d5000 and d3100 tend to have a yellow-bias with high contrast. I presume that can be fixed?

Yea I've noticed that the factory default settings of my friends' d5000 and d3100 tend to have a yellow-bias with high contrast. I presume that can be fixed?

i guess u are probably referring to how the auto white balance works for indoor lighting when shooting JPEG. (i started with a d5000)

i think the best option is to shoot in RAW. i'm not sure how good is the d7000's auto white balance, but I presume that it's better than the lower models

Since you have friends who use Nikon system, you can try borrowing their cameras to try out for a couple of days. Decide which brand to purchase based on your experience with the cameras. No point getting a camera with marginally higher image quality if you end up spending twice the amount of time getting what you want out of it.

NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration) uses Nikon. What better way can u decide? But again, bye what u feel comfortable with and after buying, don't go round comparing. It will never end!

I'm proficient with both systems, and I believe that there are inherent strengths and weaknesses of each system. Nothing to really make or break though, I must say.

Color reproduction is different between models of the same make, so different manufacturers are bound to have slightly different outputs. If you're using one system only, I won't think that would matter much. I'd think it's be a problem if you're covering the same thing with 2 different systems.

If you are going to spend 3400 on a body like 7D, might as well also consider the full frame bodies like D700 and 5D mark2 as they are at an excellent value nowadays.

Hey guys, I know this matter has been been whacked to death both on google and on clubsnap :eek: I've read most of the possible threads out there already and just like to get advice in a slightly different context.

I used the Canon 550D for abt 2.5 years and I think my skills have reached a decent level. So I would like to make an upgrade to buy my 1st brand new DSLR :D I liked the ease of use of the 550D, although I'm sure I'll figure out how to use a Nikon properly too. I'm looking at either a Canon 7D or a Nikon D7000. I'm not invested in any Canon/Nikon lenses currently, so little switching cost. I've read up on both, and all the comparisons on dpreview/clubsnap, etc, and am still finding it hard to make a decision. Both cameras seem very evenly matched, although some say the 7D is slightly better. Given that both are nearly the same,I'm trending towards Nikon, simply because of the cost. D7000 w/kit is $1888, while 7D is $3400 brand new. (nearly twice the cost). But of course, Nikon lenses are slightly more expensive...

What do you guys think, for a person who's buying his first brand new DSLR, who previously used a Canon 550D? What I did not like about the 550D was the autofocus, lack of a top LCD. Both the 7D and D7000 address these shortcomings quite nicely.

Hi, your price for the 7D of $3400 is way off. I've just checked 2 local online stores, the 7D body is about $1799, and $2270 when you add a 18-135mm lens (DD Electronics).

If you can up your budget, get a D700 and a 35mm f2, I think you will be very satisfied for a long time, just my 2 cents.

D700 body $2919 , 35mm f2 $463 , total = $3382 Nikon Digital SLRs - Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera - Techno Gadgets - Your Reliable Source of Photo Equipments

Both "shops" are selling grey sets with shop warranty.

Last edited:
Hi, your price for the 7D of $3400 is way off. I've just checked 2 local online stores, the 7D body is about $1799, and $2270 when you add a 18-135mm lens (DD Electronics).

If you can up your budget, get a D700 and a 35mm f2, I think you will be very satisfied for a long time, just my 2 cents.

D700 body $2919 , 35mm f2 $463 , total = $3382 Nikon Digital SLRs - Nikon D700 Digital SLR Camera - Techno Gadgets - Your Reliable Source of Photo Equipments

Both "shops" are selling grey sets with shop warranty.

Oh I got my prices from AP. It says that 7D with kit is $3399. Ya DD is $1799. But I guess there's not THAT much difference getting the grey set, since there's warranty too.

Oh I got my prices from AP. It says that 7D with kit is $3399. Ya DD is $1799. But I guess there's not THAT much difference getting the grey set, since there's warranty too.

Take note that the warranty is not by Canon. It is by the shop. That's something to consider. However, if you take good care of your camera, it should not break down within 1 year (the standard warranty period for camera bodies), unless you are really unlucky.

7D is comparable to D300S. Which is why D7000 will come out cheaper

I'm looking primarily at Image Quality for still shots. I don't normally take videos. Low noise at high ISO is always good. In this respect, some say that D7000 beats the 7D by half a stop or so, but honestly from the comparisons out there, as long as you don't pixel peep, hard to see the difference also. (at least from the samples I've seen).

I've tried both grips, and both are fine with me.

Hah I guess the main problem for me is that both are pretty close together in specs and performance. So a bit hard to decide for a first semi-pro DSLR.
As mentioned..try to look at the whole system. Check out the lenses and see if the one you think or will buy in future meet your expectations.
Consider the overall costs also. Just buy what you feel most comfortable with (Any reason is fine..nobody need to know) End of the day. Happy can already.

All too troublesome lah. Since you can't decide and you posted in a Nikon forum, just buy Nikon lah.

UncleFai said:
All too troublesome lah. Since you can't decide and you posted in a Nikon forum, just buy Nikon lah.

Buy d3x. Confirm happy de.