Yep. Another 717 external flash thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alvin

Hi guys,
I'm looking for an external flash for my camera, and want something with swivel/tilt options, what the sony flashes do not offer. I want the Sunpak 383 Super (thanks to the yehuda thread @ dpreview) but can't find in singapore! Relatively inexpensive somemore.... CP doesn't have it (they have the 4000, 5000, 888 etc. which I don't know heck), and my lcs can't get the 383 either.

Next is the metz series of flashes - I see some older threads discussing the 32 series with/about the SCA adaptor thing, and I'm contemplating between the 32MZ3 and 32Z2 (probably without the adaptor) because either of them I can probably get an adaptor to use with any future camera (My dream camera: Canon EOS 30 :cool: ).

So can you guys help me - the main difference I can tell between the MZ3 and Z2 is this motorized/manual zoom, any other key issues between these two flashes? What does this motorized zoom do anyways?

Finally I'd appreciate any other recommendations of brands/models for the flash!

Thanks!

Alvin

hmm

i use the 44mz2 but cannot swivel
but coz i use a bounce attachment so it's okay i guess.

32mz3 or whatever i haven't tried it before.

flash don't come cheap i think the 32mz3 or z2 will settle lots of stuff already. as for motorized zoom.. i have no idea.

i use the 44mz2 without the adaptor.. i have no idea what i'm missing out on but my guess is i'm missing out on REAR sync and SLOW sync as well as AF illumination (somebody can clarify pls ?).. but i mainly use the flash for illumination's sake like during concert photography and thus it's not really important whether i use the other functions or not..

my dream camera (or rather, dream set up) would be EOS 1Ds (or any other equivalent next time) or 10D.. anything that can do the best night shooting.. (717 really loses out in this department) and probably an eos 30 or eos 1v... see how lah. now i still newbie lol

I use the 44MZ-2 with standard hotshoe too and I'm not missing the swivel... it's better balanced (really! go and try it out) than the 32- series.

I think a number of people (including me) are interested in SUNPAK 383. Can somebody with MO experience organise something, please?

Originally posted by alvin
Hi guys,
I'm looking for an external flash for my camera, and want something with swivel/tilt options, what the sony flashes do not offer. I want the Sunpak 383 Super (thanks to the yehuda thread @ dpreview) but can't find in singapore! Relatively inexpensive somemore.... CP doesn't have it (they have the 4000, 5000, 888 etc. which I don't know heck), and my lcs can't get the 383 either.

Next is the metz series of flashes - I see some older threads discussing the 32 series with/about the SCA adaptor thing, and I'm contemplating between the 32MZ3 and 32Z2 (probably without the adaptor) because either of them I can probably get an adaptor to use with any future camera (My dream camera: Canon EOS 30 :cool: ).

So can you guys help me - the main difference I can tell between the MZ3 and Z2 is this motorized/manual zoom, any other key issues between these two flashes? What does this motorized zoom do anyways?

Finally I'd appreciate any other recommendations of brands/models for the flash!

Thanks!

Alvin

Motor zoom means the flash head zooms in and out (inside the flash lah) by a motor when you zoom in or out with your lens.

If you notice on the Z2, there is a selector on the top of the flash head indicating "28, 50, 85. 125...etc" Can't remember the exact numbers.

When you move the selector switch to 28, the flash bulb inside the flash head moves forward near the edge of the flash head.

This is to provide a wider angle of coverage for the flash @ 28mm (which is a wide angle for a SLR)

When you move the selector to 125 or a larger number, the flash bulb in the flash head moves backwards.

This will narrow the angle of the flash and concentrate the flash power at a smaller angle so that the light can "reach" further, while is the case for telephoto zoom.

For Motor Zoom, (if your camera supports it and has the right SCA) when you twist your lens to zoom in and out, the flash bulb in the flash head moves forward (for wide) and backwards (for tele) automatically by the motor drive inside the flash.

For Z2, you have to move the selector switch on the top of the flash head yourself.

For the F717, it DOES NOT support the motor zoom even with the SCA 3602, so Z-2 or MZ-3 is the same to the F717, but MZ-3 is more expensive and since you cannot use the motor zoom, you cannot set the angle of coverage because there is no selector switch.

I suggest you invest in a better flash for the EOS 30, maybe a 420EX, since you will not get a lot of features even if you get a 32mz-3 now and attach a Canon SCA adaptor and use it on the EOS 30.

Unless you want to invest in a 54Mz-3, and buy SCA adaptor for Canon.

Get the 32z-2 will do, when you get an EOS 30, save up for a proper Canon Speedlite.

Hi everyone!
sequitur, f55user: Do you guys have pics of your cameras with the 44m flash attached? I'd like to see how it looks! Also, how is its portrait performance without the swivel? Do you need some bounce accessory? Lately I've been taking more and more portrait shots so this is quite an important point for me. Also what's the price of the 44mz2?

winston: Thanks for the detailed explanation of the zoom function! Well then if I do get the 32series flash (quite busy with the new school term), I'll get the z2 model. Do you know the price for this 32z2?

Thanks guys keep 'em coming!

Alvin

Hi everyone!
sequitur, f55user: Do you guys have pics of your cameras with the 44m flash attached? I'd like to see how it looks! Also, how is its portrait performance without the swivel? Do you need some bounce accessory? Lately I've been taking more and more portrait shots so this is quite an important point for me. Also what's the price of the 44mz2?

winston: Thanks for the detailed explanation of the zoom function! Well then if I do get the 32series flash (quite busy with the new school term), I'll get the z2 model. Do you know the price for this 32z2?

Alvin

I don't have my flash with me now (because it's on loan to a friend), so I'll only be able to show pics a few days later ;)

Anyway, the point about the 32Z-3 not being able to zoom manually is not true, it has a selector switch at the back to allow you to select the zoom length.

Originally posted by f55user
I don't have my flash with me now (because it's on loan to a friend), so I'll only be able to show pics a few days later ;)

Anyway, the point about the 32Z-3 not being able to zoom manually is not true, it has a selector switch at the back to allow you to select the zoom length.

Can see the pics at

http://www.metz.de/1_metz_2000/m_pages_english/main_index_e.php3?link=4&sub=4&linkname=mecablitz

Sorry abt the mistake abt the manual zooming of the 32MZ-3. :p

Because under the Technical Details for 32MZ-3 there is a "tick" under Motor Zoom but no "tick" under Manual Zoom.

Hi everyone!

Alvin

portrait performance without swivel = sucks. it sucks by default on all flashes (as compared to bouncing)

bouncing is okay.. i use an omni bounce though.

but all in all, you must know what you're doing and what kind of controls you're setting on the flash to get the proper exposure/effect that you want. otherwise all you will get is disgusting portrait photos. (like me)

i'm still learning about flash photography... so not too much comments but definitely the flash has done me good.

will get 54mz3 next time when i upgrade to a canon.

Thinking of getting the Metz 44mz2, after reading the reviews from sequitur and f55user... ;) Can I check with those who got this flash, how much it cost new? How about the SCA adapter SCA 3602?

One thing to clear up, the 717 does not support MZ thru' out the whole range of Metz flash izzit? :dunno:

Originally posted by Edwin
Thinking of getting the Metz 44mz2, after reading the reviews from sequitur and f55user... ;) Can I check with those who got this flash, how much it cost new? How about the SCA adapter SCA 3602?

One thing to clear up, the 717 does not support MZ thru' out the whole range of Metz flash izzit? :dunno:

IMO, the SCA adaptor is not really worth it... just saves you pressing a few buttons to select the f/stop on the flash.. for the $130, I'd rather save a bit more and get the 54MZ4... ;)
Latest price is ~$230 from CP.. (ask for equote!! I tot AP is cheaper, ended up spending $50 more than CP.. ;( )

Note that the 44MZ2 is not really that much more powerful than the 32MZ3, it's GN 34 vs GN 32 @ the same zoom length, but then again, it has manual output control (good for using omnibounce with the head straight on, which you cannot do in "A" mode because the light from the omnibounce will go into the flash sensor, making it underexpose).

i'm not sure about the motor zoom part

the guide number part is a big cheat booboo.. haha.. basically it's quite the same guide number as the 32mz3.. but it has more functions..

the SCA is good in the sense that it's auto.. but i've sorta gotten used to shooting in manual mode.. then i just change the output level from 1/1 to 1/2 to 1/4 to 1/8 and so on.. basically shooting at a range of 5 meters, using a 1/8 would give a just nice exposure of a person at night already..

i didn't get the SCA coz no money..

and one thing.. if you have the SCA and you have omnibounce.. prepare for underexposure coz the AF sensor will take it that you don't have any diffuser nor bounce device attached.. so exposure would be underexposed..

but if i'm not wrong the SCA will let you do REAR and SLOW sync which is useful for creative photography.

i basically shoot concerts with my flash only and my settings are fixed at f2.0 105mm, coz the bounce sorta spreads out the flash a little. i only modify the output levels.

hope this helps.

it's a really good flash i must say.

with the omnibounce on, it doesn't make a difference if it has to swivel or not coz the bounce will diffuse the flash.

ok lah.. it's GN 2 more powerful than the 32MZ.. series.. ;)
the sca does not let you do rear/slow sync, because the 717 has no such function. :cry:

huh must have camera function then can do one meh ? can't the flash record a trigger but it wait till the end of exposure then trigger flash ?

Thanks for all the advice!!!

Really considering of getting a external flash but is afraid that it would end up as an white elephant... Haiz... :(

Just curious to find out.
Which model is more powerful and advance, 54MZ3 or 54MZ4?

Status
Not open for further replies.