Yellow

micj24

May 14, 2010
5158274783_2be53486c7_b_d.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Color + composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hoped to catch one's attention through use of color.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Captured around 4pm, shaded side of a building with sunlights peeking on the columns.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I liked how the color capture's my attention whenever I look at the picture. For the composition, I know there are some distraction in the background, but I hope it's not that noticeable that it spoils the whole picture.

The skin tone looks too ghostly due to your white balance adjustment to emphasis the yellow. The pic looks kinda of weird too with the crop at the the model's shin and leaving negative space at the top.

Indeed the yellow is striking and captures attention as the title suggests, but I feel it is at the expense of the model, who has lost a little bit of radiance. A little PP will help. Cheers.

Hmmm... Just personal opinion, I just find that from hat, hair style and dressing (color and design) combination are just too unique and crashed with the model look and skin tone.
Hope TS will not take it too hard in case the model is related to TS. ;p

Last edited:
You can be bolder by losing all colours save the yellow blouse. By holding back as you did, you end up with tonal issues as mentioned by the other critics.

You can be bolder by losing all colours save the yellow blouse. By holding back as you did, you end up with tonal issues as mentioned by the other critics.

selective color B&W is too cliche nowadays.

Lose the hat, it doesn't go well with the dress. The model's expression is not the best here as well. And the framing is too abrupt with the end at the shins.

selective color B&W is too cliche nowadays.

Do not disagree, judging from how cliche that statement has become in this forum in recent times. Cheers...

I think.. if you want to bring out the color "yellow" in the picture. I suggest you make the whole picture b&w and color her shirt yellow using PP.