Yashica Twin Lens Reflex Users?

phazed1

Jan 19, 2009
Hi, was wondering if there are any people still using Yashica TLR and if there are any such user groups in existence? Care to reply? :D

wow, looks like you know the camera very well! hope more people can join in and perhaps we can have a regular yashica club kopi session. me shooting my second test roll now, first roll was a disaster as i couldn't get the focus. pics soon! : ) hey how do you hold the 124? close to the chest and use forehead to stabilize?

Another user! That's great! According to Wikipedia, 124s have the best taking lens of all Yashica TLRs. Sadly mine is the LM, twenty years of difference in terms of technology!

Another user! That's great! According to Wikipedia, 124s have the best taking lens of all Yashica TLRs. Sadly mine is the LM, twenty years of difference in terms of technology!

LM and 124 uses the same taking lens. yashinon 80mm. for me, i prefer LM when it come to bokeh. im not sure if the number of aperture blades affect the outcome as the LM & 124 has 8 & 5 blades respectively. sharpness...theres not so much difference.

oh really? i thought that 124s have an improved 80mm lens ... ok now i know. interesting fact about the blades too.

wow, looks like you know the camera very well! hope more people can join in and perhaps we can have a regular yashica club kopi session. me shooting my second test roll now, first roll was a disaster as i couldn't get the focus. pics soon! : ) hey how do you hold the 124? close to the chest and use forehead to stabilize?

Why can't you get focus? It's pretty easy, just pop up the magnifier.

I hold it close to my eye when I'm focusing, after which I usually close the magnifier and check the composition. Then slowly squeeze off... camera doesn't touch my forehead.

Why can't you get focus? It's pretty easy, just pop up the magnifier.

I hold it close to my eye when I'm focusing, after which I usually close the magnifier and check the composition. Then slowly squeeze off... camera doesn't touch my forehead.

ok, i guess my hands are not very steady .. the view is a bit dark sometimes unless its a bright sunny day. needs some practice, thanks for your tips I'll try your method.

I used to have the Mat 124G for a long while. One camera I believe that has an amazing price/performance structure. Wonderful camera, you can't go wrong with it although once the battery is out it might be a bit of a pain. Well, using a manual meter is likely more accurate anyway.

I have a 124G that I sometimes use. After shooting digital for a while, I get the itch to go 'old school' -- it's either the Yashica or a 35mm rangefinder. It's often more satisfying getting good results from such a simple tool, without all the bells and whistles of a modern DSLR :)

I have a 124G that I sometimes use. After shooting digital for a while, I get the itch to go 'old school' -- it's either the Yashica or a 35mm rangefinder. It's often more satisfying getting good results from such a simple tool, without all the bells and whistles of a modern DSLR :)

Agreed, and when you get back you appreciate the convenience of a DSLR more. ;p

I used to have the Mat 124G for a long while. One camera I believe that has an amazing price/performance structure. Wonderful camera, you can't go wrong with it although once the battery is out it might be a bit of a pain. Well, using a manual meter is likely more accurate anyway.

Hi pipo i thought all light meters are battery operated ... unless its those old 'photocell' types. do you mean that when you say manual meter?

Some photos which I have taken and sent for lab scanning ... the film is expired film, which may have contributed to the slight reddishness. Can anyone tell me what to look out for if I send the camera for servicing? I noticed that the fast shutter speeds is not fast enough to freeze some slow motion e.g. leaves swaying in slight breeze. Think the lens also needs some cleaning and or calibration. The photo below has undergone some sharpening after I got the scans.
tree1s.jpg

This one is direct from the lab scan, no pp.
tree2e.jpg

PP done - removing dust spots, slight cropping, red reduction about 5%.
beachcopy.jpg

Convert to B&W, pumped up the contrast by a lot. Paiseh the lens distortion is not very good for buildings!
buildingsw.jpg

Last edited:
Some photos which I have taken and sent for lab scanning ... the film is expired film, which may have contributed to the slight reddishness. Can anyone tell me what to look out for if I send the camera for servicing? I noticed that the fast shutter speeds is not fast enough to freeze some slow motion e.g. leaves swaying in slight breeze. Think the lens also needs some cleaning and or calibration. The photo below has undergone some sharpening after I got the scans.

Check out the slow shutter speed to see if it is sticky. See if the shutter blades have oil stains, if there is, then it will contribute to shutter inaccuracy. I have a problem with the cable release on the yashica, you can check if you have any problem triggering the shutter with a cable release.

I don't have a cable release for my yashica. do you know where to get a cheap one?