Y these buildings in the landscape pix looks flat??

krisietong

Feb 26, 2010
finally got my 1000D out for some shooting..
can someone comment on y these buildings appear flat against the landscape??
Bcos of my kit lens? or need to get CPL filter? or is it bcos of the compositionf of the pix??
4412883908_73bf765509_b.jpg

4412888670_6371a3fbf3_b.jpg

This is not a problem with your kit lens, a CPL or any gear related issue.

This is definitely a composition problem. Also the timing that the shot was taken is important as well, these photos the sun is too high up leading to very flat lighting making buildings extremely uninteresting.

Hmmm, up your contrast and saturation (colour) in camera or post processing.

This is not a problem with your kit lens, a CPL or any gear related issue.

This is definitely a composition problem. Also the timing that the shot was taken is important as well, these photos the sun is too high up leading to very flat lighting making buildings extremely uninteresting.

icic.. so CPL or any filter wont help with this??
Need to shoot it in late afternoon/ evening ah??

icic.. so CPL or any filter wont help with this??
Need to shoot it in late afternoon/ evening ah??

I guess the word is not *need* but generally you get better and more interesting lighting at those times, and early morning as well.

maybe wrong timing to shoot in the day :D
haha sun abit too harsh arh :x ~

Part of the reason why they look flat is also because there is no sky to speak of. Every detail in your sky is blown because of the hour you're shooting at.

my suggestion :),
1) try either between early morning before 11am or 4pm onwards if you want a bluer sky, CPL is not a must but it may help.
2) perhaps without PP, you have to check in your camera setting, where any options allow you to adjust the saturation / vibrance..
3) as suggested too, the composition. perhaps your pic #2, I would suggest retake the frame without so much of the empty sky.
4) your timing of the picture taken might not be so perfect, u can too check out HDR. combining few images of diff exposures may show you another new dimension.

try increasing the shutter speed in bright daylight.

then again..try making the pics interesting example,
9f65a987.jpg

took about a couple of minutes.

Last edited:

9f65a987.jpg

Haha.. This is a good one!! Thanks for that!!

Thanks everyone for the pointers!! I still have lots to learn!

definitely the time of the day. i usually stay away from shooting at midday. step out early morn, or later in the day.. the setting sun is much better.

Normally, some sort of side-lighting would bring out shapes and textures, but in this particular instance, it's not so much the angle of the sun that affects the photos as the fact that it looked like it was quite overcast. Those massive clouds act like a gigantic soft-box, giving you very diffused and flat light.

You should learn some post processing to get the best out of your photos...

9f65a987.jpg

you have got to be kidding me, that is extremely cheesey.

to look 3d, you need shadows.

if there are no shadows, for whatever reason, then it will look flat, simple as that.

as DM points out, this is probably an overcast problem.

also, you have blown out skies, white and white just looks horrible.