Y no one buy Kodak digital cams ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett

Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
Y are kodak cameras not as hot selling as Canon/Fuji/Sony/Olympus etc etc etc ?

1) marketing and advertising too little ?
2) quality of image no good ?
3) specifications no good ?
4) size ?
5) user interface ?
6) Price ?

here I am talking abt commsumer/prosumer range not the kodak DCS 14n

would really appreciate comments.

It's like asking why no one post in the photo galleries, but kopitiam instead.

Many years ago, owned a Kodak DC3400 (2mp, 2x optical zoom)...

I must say that pic quality is actually very good, good colours. Overall, quite a good digicam. Not cheap those days.

Pic quality wise, can beat the more popular digicams like the Canon A40.

But it was never popular. People don't know much of it. Probably due to poor marketing. Pricing strategy not competitive? Not sure.

Would I buy a Kodak again? Well, maybe, maybe not.

:)

so if you guys were marketing kodak and had no control over thier design, what approach would u guys use ?

bundle package ? better consumer education ? any ideas ? doin' a marketing project on this brand. Need U CS members to help !!

Thanks !:)

Originally posted by Brett
so if you guys were marketing kodak and had no control over thier design, what approach would u guys use ?

bundle package ? better consumer education ? any ideas ? doin' a marketing project on this brand. Need U CS members to help !!

Thanks !:)

Sales Promotion - Nothing attract like bee to honey. Get a few 8-10/10 looking models to pose around with.

Direct marketing - Do product launch inviting clubsnap members and other photographic club members with free food & expert to give seminar

Advertising - TV ads, get some solid agency to produce a award winnning ad.

Personal selling - Train up the sales people in roadshows, retailers.

Personal relation - Good after sales support and service, Kodak Photographer club etc membership benefit and preferential discount developing prints.

Pretty textbook staff, since no budget I hantam everything

"Sales Promotion - Nothing attract like bee to honey. Get a few 8-10/10 looking models to pose around with"

This brings me to a point I have been considering. Do you know why your products cost so much? It's because they are spending on these stuff! I rather them reduce the price. I rather buy online and NOT use such girl "services". BUT unfortunately, more people fall for the girl trap.

Zekai ~ nice one there, yup the way of marketing u mentioned would really cost a bomb ! but I guess it would really help ~

thanks guys if any one has anything else to add pls do so !

1) more question, how would u guys make ppl like ALAN PHOTO and other SIMLIM retailers push/promote Kodak instead of other more well known brands ? given they make the same amount of profit margin for all brands across.

Hiieee....

Singapore and asian countries normally stick to Japanese brands like,Nikon,Canon,Fuji ,Olympus,Minolta,yashica,Kyocera,Sigma,.....etc. But you see less of Kodak,HP and other American established brands.

There isn't enough marketing for the US brands......here.
If you got to the US....you will see many of these brands in the electrical stores. US consumer market alone can cover their profit.........

When you introduce any camera into any region....there are things that need to be establish like.....service center....language support....and lots more.....($$$$). Promotions.......etc. So if the returns is expected to be small (due to small consumer pool) then...its best to not intro it there or sometimes just intro in small amount.....

Hope this will give some idea.....on the consumer product facts....

regards,
me

Thanks sulhan for the input ~

can any one come up with new n special ideas to promote kodak to retailers/consumers ?

would love to here from more !

interesting post so far ~

Originally posted by chaotic
"Sales Promotion - Nothing attract like bee to honey. Get a few 8-10/10 looking models to pose around with"

This brings me to a point I have been considering. Do you know why your products cost so much? It's because they are spending on these stuff! I rather them reduce the price. I rather buy online and NOT use such girl "services". BUT unfortunately, more people fall for the girl trap.

Actually all the models and stuff are the cheapest component. Normally once off affair.

The expensive one are the sales force, training of sales staff and maintaining a good after sales support.
These are very high recurrent overhead.

What you say however will not work. Branding is the most important for specialty goods. You dun get the brand up your competitor will overtake you and end up you sell too little of yuor products to make any profit.

You need a good balance. I have not seen a online product that is successful on its own merit.

If concentrate on the product itself and sell and cheap price we will be facing marketing myopia. You think the customer want a camera? NO, he/she actually want good pictures...

customer now require the whole package... the brand, the experience, the prestige of being in an exclusive circle... Leica owners..eg.s

we need to communicate effectively with the consumer on what they want.

I feel that it is more to do with the image of the brand name.

To me, Kodak does not equate with cutting-edge design/technology.

Just an example, if you can get Brad Pitt/Takuya Kimura/Any Pretty Actress/Singer to endorse just one particular model of Kodak camera, there will be a giant leap in sales. Consumer culture in asian markets are quite shallow in this respect.

That's how Levi's and Nike established their brandnames.

Just my two cents, you don't have to agree with me.

:)

Originally posted by wallpaper
To me, Kodak does not equate with cutting-edge design/technology.

I tend to agree. Whenever I think of Kodak cameras, the cheap plasticky 35mm compacts come to mind. But I'll stand by my original comments that Kodak cameras just don't look slick enough. IMO, cameras of a certain price range are mostly the same and what really separates them is how they look. It's quite typical of American design. Ugly, but functional.

I once had a (second-hand) Kodak P&S digicam. It was big, fat, bulky, heavy and unweildly. Battery life was remarkably short, and the response time was too slow. Image quality was quite good, but I felt it was poor value for money on the whole. At the same time, the competition from Canon, Nikon etc were cheaper, better designed, looked nicer and performed better.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a camera from the likes of HP, Epson, etc. They look ugly. They should stick to what they do better, i.e., printers, etc. Companies like C,N,M, etc who have invested a huge amount into the camera business are bound to have more extensive R&D and product development departments with larger budgets, and consequently you see better offerings from them.

wow so much negative response !

ok so given the above response imagaine if its not from your self, given ur company THROWS u a"Kodak" marketing job how would u guys carry it out given small/limited budget.

ie: u work for kodak and u have to convince retailers that they can sell kodak digital cameras.

any marketing wiz here ? :dunno:

there's little you can do with a limited budget. Even if you can come up with a creative marketing strategy, you need the money to sustain the campaign for it to imprint itself on the collective consumers' consciousness.

wow so much negative response !

ok so given the above response imagaine if its not from your self, given ur company THROWS u a"Kodak" marketing job how would u guys carry it out given small/limited budget.

ie: u work for kodak and u have to convince retailers that they can sell kodak digital cameras.

any marketing wiz here ? :dunno:

Sounds like you work for them & are desperate for ideas...:bsmilie: Your sig is just to throw pple off :bsmilie:

yea in fact I am on the verge of working with them haha ~

and my sig is cuz I am a Fuji user, honestly I'll never buy a kodak camera besides the DCS 14 n that high end one ?? besides that I don't really have an impression that Kodak = digital expertise.

what comes to my mind is Kodak = film/post processing

well jus wondering if I could get any marketing wiz in club snap to brain storm out some effective marketing ideas !:confused:

Originally posted by cyrilng
Sounds like you work for them & are desperate for ideas...:bsmilie: Your sig is just to throw pple off :bsmilie:

yea in fact I am on the verge of working with them haha ~

and my sig is cuz I am a Fuji user, honestly I'll never buy a kodak camera besides the DCS 14 n that high end one ?? besides that I don't really have an impression that Kodak = digital expertise.

what comes to my mind is Kodak = film/post processing

well jus wondering if I could get any marketing wiz in club snap to brain storm out some effective marketing ideas !:confused:

haha, glad you came clean. :D Easy, just have some contests or better still give away a few free DCS14n's - that'll create greater brand awareness:gbounce: Don't think it's selling well anyway after all the negative feedback, delays & problems.:what:

We can be your first batch of beta testers. We will get to test and keep all the new Kodak cameras and in return we give you honest and informative feedback. Sounds like fair trade I'll say.

Status
Not open for further replies.