Y is my sunrise looks more like sunset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pattyen

Jun 17, 2007
sun_063.jpg

I am using f31fd and this is the specs for the cam, http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/lineup/f31fd/performance.html

Can anyone points out my mistake so that I can improve?

Is sunrise and sunset similar except it is at different compass location?

Wat is the recommended settings for both sunrise and sunset?

Regards.

sun_063.jpg

I am using f31fd and this is the specs for the cam, http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital/lineup/f31fd/performance.html

Regards.

BTW... what difference do you expect between sunrise and sunset. I thought they will appear pretty much the same on photos.

BC

BTW... what difference do you expect between sunrise and sunset. I thought they will appear pretty much the same on photos.

BC

Point noted. Just has this feeling that sunrise and sunset should be different on photos. Think needs more practise.

The only difference for me is I take more pictures of sunset than sunrise. You should know the reason. LOL! Cheers!

Point noted. Just has this feeling that sunrise and sunset should be different on photos. Think needs more practise.

Explore more. As you mention that there is a different feeling, think of how you can incorporate this feeling into the photo.

BC

Explore more. As you mention that there is a different feeling, think of how you can incorporate this feeling into the photo.

BC

True. :)

Because you never put on a caption "Sunrise" with your photo, or you can draw an upward arrow on top of the sun to tell people it is a sunrise.

can take a photo of sunset with the same camera and put side by side and compare?

Actually, there is a difference.. sunsets are faster than sunrises.

To me in Singapore, there is not much difference between sunrise and sunset. But in temperate countries, there is a marked difference. Sunrise in those temperate countries are usually depict as cool or cold, more misty and moody. Sunsets are usually depict as warmer and golden. Dawn is usually colder than dusk, so it helps to differentiate.

I think sunrise gives a cooler feel and the sky should light up faster with more sky blue. Sunrise should have a brighter yellowish sun and lighter blue to the sky whilst sunset has a darker blue sky with with a orangy-yellow/crimson sun to it. :dunno:

exactly what kelccm said... :)

But, nowadays, with photoshop, you can always make a picture cooler or warmer ... :)

This is my sunset shot...just for fun comparison... No editing done, not even cropping. Its taken straight off my camera.

sunset-ecp-1.jpg

sun_063.jpg

Wat is the recommended settings for both sunrise and sunset?

Regards.
basically you using the leaves for framing is nice, but your timing may a little too late, the sun is rather high here, and it is right at the center of the image.

you can use the white balance setting (in camera) to change the mood of the this photo, using a "shade" if you want warmer look, using "tungsten" if you want a cooler look, using "florescent" can give a purplish look.

Hope this help.

:) If you don't label it "sunrise" or "sunset", it can be real hard to tell...

truth be told ... i suspect the difference is the feel. while waiting to capture a sunrise, you have to get up early ... and wait for a new day to break. the feeling of anticipation is a wholesome and fresh feeling ... whereas for sunsets, you are watching the close of a day, and the feelings associated with sunsets are probably quite different from what you feel at the start of the day.

i took some photos of sunrise at P.Redang previously, and my friends commented it was a nice sunset ... haha ... i had to crawl out of bed around 4-5am to get those pics ... if i had known the feedback, i would probably have waited for sunset instead ... but the experience associated with both are very different of course.

i am not sure there are any visible differences between both, except that i always thought that the skies associated with sunrises would be richer in hue and vibrance, whereas sunsets would be more golden. maybe it's the warmness and coolness of the colour range ... :think:

regardless, it's fun taking more of both to see if you can spot any real visible differences. :bsmilie:

There is a difference actually. Sunrise skies are more blue, and the sun is more to white in colour, since the intensity of the sunlight is still not so strong.

The sun in sunsets are warmer and more orangy. Because of the intensity of the sun's rays, the sky is also warmer.

Pictures speak a thousand words. Below are 2 pics for comparison:

Sunrise:
56776119.jpg

Sunset:
31333736.jpg

There is a difference.

And this is due to scattering, namely the blue component of the spectrum being scattered the closer the sun is to the horizon. So in sunsets, the sky gets redder and redder, whereas at sunrise the sky gets, relatively, bluer and bluer.

So then the colour balance is different for sunrise and sunset. For sunrise, the highlight will be close to daylight colour balance, whereas for sunset, it will be towards shady. Colour balance for shadows are cold for both, eg fluorescent, and the midtones somewhere in between.

Use the colour balance tool in Photoshop to tweak the colour balance in each of these zones, using the eye as the judge.

And also as you may have guessed by now, no out-of-cam sunrise/sunset will be accurate, as the camera uses only a sngle colour balance point for the whole scene, when in reality it is a complex mix of colour balances.

Status
Not open for further replies.