XZ-1 Video Woes, how bout E-PL2?

phuncure

Nov 18, 2010
Hi all,

Any XZ-1 owners have reviews bout their videos. A lot of complains about the focusing in video mode. Really like this camera. But i take lots of video too. How bout the E-PL2? Thanks in advance. :kiss:

the focusing of the video is continuous in the XZ-1 and tends to be jumpy even if I do not move or the subject does not move, quite fustrating at times to see the video go out of focus and back in to focus again and again....

there is alot of detail smearing in the HD video as well....video quality seems to be about the same as the iphone 4 to be honest

Wow. Thats bad. Seems the next best camera in terms of aboyt the same capabilities, to get for decent photos and videos is the LX5???

What bout the E-PL2 then, will be better in video would'nt it, even though not a compact.

XZ-1 is still an excellent camera though, in my opinion better then the LX5, just that the video is weaker....for me the benefits of the image aspects far outweight the small shortfalls in video.

EPL2 i havent actually tried the video yet although i have one...

Wow. Thats bad. Seems the next best camera in terms of aboyt the same capabilities, to get for decent photos and videos is the LX5???

Hey ricleo,

Thanks for the update. Maybe i am wishing for too much. Wish u could try out the video on E-PL2, if u have the time.

here's a video taken by xz-1. notice the ocassional erratic focussing and 'dimming' of high frequencies sound when zooming.

[youtube]-56E0481Sus[/youtube]

Yup, can see that. But i must say XZ-1 photos looks great, but i am onto both video and pics. But i finally decided and got a E-PL2 5 hours ago (RED one, just love the colour, one of the reason of getting it). Yes i can only shoot 7 mins of video in HD, but hey who's counting. Like the overall performance when i touched and use it myself. Thanks guys, u all have been helpful.

Get the XZ-1 for the photos, not the videos.

Many people like the idea of videos but in reality don't know how difficult it really is. To shoot videos a tripod is a must - preferably a video tripod with either a friction head or fluid head. 2nd you'll need a camera that shoots in an appropriate codec, 3rd it's preferable to be able to manually focus the lens. Frankly if you like videos and wish for your files to stay small stay away from Olympus. Either Canon or Panasonic would be better suited. Weigh which is more important to you - if you don't want to fuss around with RAW files - the Olympus jpegs/colours are IMHO second to none. Panasonic jpegs are ahem cough cough. Canon's are somewhat better than Panasonic. I base these observations on having used the following cameras - EP-2, GF-1, Canon 5D MkII.