xxxger : How to take aerial photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxger

Deregistered
Feb 10, 2005
Wild wild west
hi ..... as you know, i am a newbies, so i have afew qns want to Qing jiao the PRO out there wor .... :embrass:

I will be taking some aerial photo of a oil tanker or oil carrier, i will be on the helicopter, my 1st qns is: How to overcome the virbation of the heli. :embrass:

This pic have to be printed out about 3M x 1.5M, .... so what camera should i use ? Should i use my hassy? but i scare the time will too rush, and scary the angle or distance not right, will need time to change lens and re-load negative? Or should i use my Digital SLR? but i scare digital SLR not able to delivery so big size pic lor .... Or lastly, use my F5 and F4, load with slide and negative, then i can use its auto focus, and have 72 firing chances ;p

The final photo have to be printed out into 50 copies and have to involve with clearance, rental of heli, insurance ....., so all have to do in one go, and cannot afford to make any mistake .... :embrass:

So help help help ya ..... :kiss:

wah u very pro leh ... got this kind of large scale assignment still wanna ask people here ? :) anyway use yr hassy with a IS or VR lens ba ;p

S11loop said:
wah u very pro leh ... got this kind of large scale assignment still wanna ask people here ? :) anyway use yr hassy with a IS or VR lens ba ;p

Ya loh... how many ppl got the chance to take photo from heli?

seng44 said:
Ya loh... how many ppl got the chance to take photo from heli?

But the risk is there wor ..... :embrass:
If end up the photo cannot make it or blur .... i also dare not to think next lor ... i sell my f5 or MY lomo lca, or all my equi, also not enough to cover the rental of the heli for the re-shoot lor .... TOUCH WOOD TOUCH WOOD :heart:

xxxger said:
hi ..... as you know, i am a newbies, so i have afew qns want to Qing jiao the PRO out there wor .... :embrass:

I will be taking some aerial photo of a oil tanker or oil carrier, i will be on the helicopter, my 1st qns is: How to overcome the virbation of the heli. :embrass:

This pic have to be printed out about 3M x 1.5M, .... so what camera should i use ? Should i use my hassy? but i scare the time will too rush, and scary the angle or distance not right, will need time to change lens and re-load negative? Or should i use my Digital SLR? but i scare digital SLR not able to delivery so big size pic lor .... Or lastly, use my F5 and F4, load with slide and negative, then i can use its auto focus, and have 72 firing chances ;p

The final photo have to be printed out into 50 copies and have to involve with clearance, rental of heli, insurance ....., so all have to do in one go, and cannot afford to make any mistake .... :embrass:

So help help help ya ..... :kiss:

Hi, i been train to take aerial photo during my stint as an aerial photographer, yes,not many have heard of the Áir Photo Unit'. No joke, top secret stuff. Anyway, this is how we took aerial photos, now, dont be afraid, ask the pilot to open the sliding door, yes you heard me rite, then check your safety belt. make sure its secured, then stick your body out , if not how to aim down, at the same time start moving your fingers. Yes make sure the heli don't swagger too much? don't wanna loossen the belt. ha!ha!

hi ..... as you know, i am a newbies, so i have afew qns want to Qing jiao the PRO out there wor ....

I will be taking some aerial photo of a oil tanker or oil carrier, i will be on the helicopter, my 1st qns is: How to overcome the virbation of the heli.

Wear thick padding underwear... or maybe can tie a pillow on ur butt wor, can absorb the vibration better wor

This pic have to be printed out about 3M x 1.5M, .... so what camera should i use ? Should i use my hassy? but i scare the time will too rush, and scary the angle or distance not right, will need time to change lens and re-load negative? Or should i use my Digital SLR? but i scare digital SLR not able to delivery so big size pic lor .... Or lastly, use my F5 and F4, load with slide and negative, then i can use its auto focus, and have 72 firing chances

Hassy would be the best, make sure fit with the 8x8 square back k, if not the 10x8 back also can wor, if not maybe can try use a ZOOM lens that can overcome this minor problem. and since u have already hired the chopper for the shoot. Maybe u can ask the pilot to fly lower or higher? to suit the angle n distance of your equipment. Or maybe you can load all your cameras with film, negatives, bring your DSLR and shoot all one after another. Surely can get 1 pic right? Hmm.. DSLR can put on remote shutter. Mount on the helicopter. load a 8gb card in. then fire all the way, u can use ur film to shoot at the same time. Double insurance like that should have at least 400 to 500 firing chances at least.

Hope this will help

So help help help ya .....

One last thing wor, remember to pray to GOD to bless you with good weather wor, if not hor later rain like siao... also die wor. :dunno:

:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

kenele said:
Hi, i been train to take aerial photo during my stint as an aerial photographer, yes,not many have heard of the Áir Photo Unit'. No joke, top secret stuff. Anyway, this is how we took aerial photos, now, dont be afraid, ask the pilot to open the sliding door, yes you heard me rite, then check your safety belt. make sure its secured, then stick your body out , if not how to aim down, at the same time start moving your fingers. Yes make sure the heli don't swagger too much? don't wanna loossen the belt. ha!ha!

Thank kenele :D
Enjoy your weekend ... :heart:

A.A said:
hi ..... as you know, i am a newbies, so i have afew qns want to Qing jiao the PRO out there wor ....

I will be taking some aerial photo of a oil tanker or oil carrier, i will be on the helicopter, my 1st qns is: How to overcome the virbation of the heli.

Wear thick padding underwear... or maybe can tie a pillow on ur butt wor, can absorb the vibration better wor

This pic have to be printed out about 3M x 1.5M, .... so what camera should i use ? Should i use my hassy? but i scare the time will too rush, and scary the angle or distance not right, will need time to change lens and re-load negative? Or should i use my Digital SLR? but i scare digital SLR not able to delivery so big size pic lor .... Or lastly, use my F5 and F4, load with slide and negative, then i can use its auto focus, and have 72 firing chances

Hassy would be the best, make sure fit with the 8x8 square back k, if not the 10x8 back also can wor, if not maybe can try use a ZOOM lens that can overcome this minor problem. and since u have already hired the chopper for the shoot. Maybe u can ask the pilot to fly lower or higher? to suit the angle n distance of your equipment. Or maybe you can load all your cameras with film, negatives, bring your DSLR and shoot all one after another. Surely can get 1 pic right? Hmm.. DSLR can put on remote shutter. Mount on the helicopter. load a 8gb card in. then fire all the way, u can use ur film to shoot at the same time. Double insurance like that should have at least 400 to 500 firing chances at least.

Hope this will help

So help help help ya .....

One last thing wor, remember to pray to GOD to bless you with good weather wor, if not hor later rain like siao... also die wor. :dunno:

:thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Thank you Asian Alcoholic for your so detail reply ... =)
hehe ..... 8G memory card, see also never see before lor ....
So i assume you have shoot aerial photo before wor, must learn must learn ..... thank for your help, .... enjoy your weekend too
I see how first ... :embrass:

i do scanning for a commercial photographer doing aerial shots with mamiya 7 rangefinder.

he enlarge it to 40"x80" per shot.

he told me the mamiya 7 got no mirror vibration,better for these type of work.
he had a few on 35mm as well.

Use a 4" x 5" field cam if you have the luxury of time. I used to know a pro who did aerial shoots for oil companies and he used nothing but a Linhoff his entire life.

hey, maybe can screenshot the aerial pics from Google Earth.;p

use VR nikkor lense to minimize shake

Best bet is motor driven medium format system(like Hassy H1 or 553ELX or 555ELD or Mamiya 645) with trans or large mega pixels (11mega and up) DSLR or digital backs for the kind of enlargement that you need. Try to get ISO 400 film as you need the shuttler speed unless it is a very sunny day. For ship I usually use 1/500 and higher shuttler speeds. You can use a bigger aperture (f4, f5.6, f8) as the distance to subject is very far so you will have enough DOF. Digital have an advanage over film. As it is very hard to change film in the air even you got assitance to help you to do it. If you are going to bring medium format up, you will need many film mags and an assitance to help you to change between mags. The helicopter service will help you to remove the side door, you will be given two safety belts. You need anchor your body to your seat to fight the air current in the air when you taking the pictures. Lastly enjoy the ride.:)

Not forget to bring this as well

bag-0460.jpg

like that still called newbie?!

maybe you should just bring along whatever u have and fire off every darn frame.

some newbie so talented woh!!:bigeyes:

i can burn away all my photos already....:hung: :hung: :hung:

The heli vibration is not as much as you think. Modern Heli's are quite stable, especially the Super Puma. Not sure of the UH1H. Anyway, there's a side seat over the doors. Use mono pods put on you feet not the flooring of the chopper to dampen some vibrations, shoot are high shutter speed like 1/500.

For that size blowup your need at least a 12 or more megapix DLSR (more is better), best to use a medium format. Don't crop the shot too tight, take only about 2/3 of the object in the frame, you can crop that during the print stage. Also do some close up of the various parts of the ship, best to get some schemetics of the ship so that you can plan the shot, better still have the captian and officers outside the bridge during the shoot. As you will only have about 30 mins to shoot. You will need lots of magazine pre loaded for the medium format or very large memory cards.

Good luck and GOD speed

Status
Not open for further replies.