xxxger : how this 2 lens - 35-70 and 28-70 F2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxger

Deregistered
Feb 10, 2005
Wild wild west
Anyone owe this 2 lens at the same time? AFS 28-70mm f2.8ED and AF 35-70MM F2.8D ..... How do you find this 2 lens ?
Dun say about the zoom range, but in term of images by this 2 lens, how their color, sharpness, contrast, or ... ?
Cos i been this 2 lens, but find the AF 35-70mm F2.8D is still better .... but due to the zoom range, .... sian :(

35-70 is a push pull zoom glass.

28-70 is a zoom ring zoom glass.

35-70 is meant more for architectural style of imaging.

28-70 is meant more for street and events coverage.

AF-S 28-70 still by far gives better contrast, sharper images as compared to AF-D 35-70.

When in doubt, buy the more expensive one.

xxxger said:
Anyone owe this 2 lens at the same time? AFS 28-70mm f2.8ED and AF 35-70MM F2.8D ..... How do you find this 2 lens ?
Dun say about the zoom range, but in term of images by this 2 lens, how their color, sharpness, contrast, or ... ?
Cos i been this 2 lens, but find the AF 35-70mm F2.8D is still better .... but due to the zoom range, .... sian :(

It just take a little time to get use to the AFS.
Sell the 35-70 to me then you have no worrys.:bsmilie: :devil:

xxxger. i thought u already have the 28-70? heehee
Anyway, both are great lens on film! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lovegrin:

I just went thru the same thing working out which one to get as well.

The 28-70/2.8 costs AUS$2700 and the 35-70/2.8 is AUS$1050, so can you guess which one I ended up ordering ....

icarus said:
xxxger. i thought u already have the 28-70? heehee
Anyway, both are great lens on film! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :lovegrin:
ya .... actually i have both lens .... :D
but due to the wider angle coverage, i use the 28-70mm more often, but have the feeling that the 35-70mm produce better color and contrast, due to the coating i believe ...
but you know, i am a small girl, how can bring so many lens out at the same time ??? :bheart:

james m said:
I just went thru the same thing working out which one to get as well.

The 28-70/2.8 costs AUS$2700 and the 35-70/2.8 is AUS$1050, so can you guess which one I ended up ordering ....

You end up buy the 35-70/2.8, and use the $1650 to buy another wide angle zoom ? :lovegrin:

xxxger said:
ya .... actually i have both lens .... :D
but due to the wider angle coverage, i use the 28-70mm more often, but have the feeling that the 35-70mm produce better color and contrast, due to the coating i believe ...
but you know, i am a small girl, how can bring so many lens out at the same time ??? :bheart:

You must be a very, very... very rich small small girl by having both of them:eek:

Hehe... just kidding... 28-70 still better rank comparing all the review:)

TMC said:
F5 with 35-70.....nice for portraits and street.. :thumbsup:

ya ... agree, especially do street photography at Little India :kiss:
The thing F5 good is, its focusing is really super fast comparing to my .... :heart:

erizai said:
You must be a very, very... very rich small small girl by having both of them:eek:

Hehe... just kidding... 28-70 still better rank comparing all the review:)

Maybe is Not me small size, ... is the camera size too BIG lor ...
28-70/2.8 is wider only .... and distortion is so serious compare to 35-70/2.8 :angry:

Pardon me for being harsh.
Why are you asking such question? You know the answer.
You have been shooting with these 2 lenses and result should be obvious to you.
The most important thing is to get/bring the len which you find comfortable in.
Don't keep on dwelling on which lenses is good or bad, both lenses are great performer.
Better to brush up on skill rather than dwelling on equipments. ;)

At least for me, I know which lense I'm going to use and almost all the time
1 lense, 1 camera body for any overseas trip. ;p

scanner said:
Pardon me for being harsh.
Why are you asking such question? You know the answer.
You have been shooting with these 2 lenses and result should be obvious to you.
The most important thing is to get/bring the len which you find comfortable in.
Don't keep on dwelling on which lenses is good or bad, both lenses are great performer.
Better to brush up on skill rather than dwelling on equipments. ;)

At least for me, I know which lense I'm going to use and almost all the time
1 lense, 1 camera body for any overseas trip. ;p

cos i am going to sell away 1 lens ... and go buy another toy to play :heart:

xxxger said:
cos i am going to sell away 1 lens ... and go buy another toy to play :heart:

Then sell 1 away loh. No point having so much lenses which you know will be sitting in your drying unit or whatsoever.

Streamline your arsenal, get familiar with your own equipments, thats the best bet.

espn said:
35-70 is meant more for architectural style of imaging.

28-70 is meant more for street and events coverage.
Both lenses are great for street and event coverage. At one time, the 35-70mm f/2.8 was very popular with 35mm film photographers as a wedding event lens.

For architectural subjects, both lenses are fair but not great. A prime lens is much better choice in order to reduce barreling and pin cushioning. A perspective control prime lens is an even better choice in order to reduce key stoning. A format larger than 35mm and the APS-sized digital is also a better choice for architectural subjects that require great detail.

Both lenses are great for the times when you want to travel with a light photographic load (one body and one lens). If you are shooting 35mm film camera, either lens will do. To compensate for the crop factor of an APS-sized digital camera, the 28-70mm f/2.8 is a better choice.

xxxger said:
You end up buy the 35-70/2.8, and use the $1650 to buy another wide angle zoom ? :lovegrin:

I already own the 20-35/2.8D so the extra money is going towards a D200 ....

Images from the AFD35-70 f/2.8 is somewhat a little flat, not suitable for portraits. The sharpness is at the edges, thus most ppl say AFD35-70 is more suitable for architectural purposes. Both AFS28-70 and the AFD35-70 gives sharp images, I'd say almost equally as sharp. However compared to AFS28-70 f/2.8D, the contrast and colours reproduction from the AFD35-70 loses out. However one thing I like of the AFD35-70 is the push-pull. For events, this function seems a little faster and easlier for me to handle compared to the ring zoom.

I do own the AFD35-70 f/2.8 before and have since upgraded to my current AFS28-70 f/2.8. No regrets on the images produced. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.