XP emulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi ... are they any good ones around?

I'm using Vista now and I have problem playing (or even starting) games built for XP.

I've read about creating dual boot but find it a great hassle ... any alternatives?

TIA! :)

Hi ... are they any good ones around?

I'm using Vista now and I have problem playing (or even starting) games built for XP.

I've read about creating dual boot but find it a great hassle ... any alternatives?

get another hdd and format with xp, not dual boot, but its a new installation, just use your bios to switch boot drive.

yes..dual boot OR BIOS boot is preferred.

Dual Boot lets you choose the boot up OS during Window's Boot. But I don't like this one.

BIOS boot means you go into BIOS, and point to a second harddisk (probably a slave drive) to boot from. Which totally won't mess up any current OS installation. That's preferred and easier to maintain.

Emulators are what we call Virtual Machines. More popular ones are Virtual PC by Microsoft and VMWare. But both are not handling games (full screen mode) very well. I would suggest you to really get another harddisk (just get an old second hand) to do BIOS booting.

Erm... what kinds of games are you planning to run? If it is graphics intensive, you better have a very powerful CPU if you wanna run the games in a virtual machine. As for VMware, the current released version, 6.0.x only supports directX 8. The beta2 for version 6.5 will have some level of support for DirectX 9. As for Virtual PC, I am not sure of its performance.

Thanks guys ...

Just found a spare SATA 80GB drive ... can anyone one point me some easy to refer to webby which I can go about dual boot? So far the ones I found are pretty complex ...

Thanks guys ...

Just found a spare SATA 80GB drive ... can anyone one point me some easy to refer to webby which I can go about dual boot? So far the ones I found are pretty complex ...

Even there's dual boot available. As I mentioned. BIOS boot is actually preferred. And since your MB supports SATA. It's definitely a go.

What you have to do...DISCONNECT your current bootable disc, connect the EMPTY one and install XP normally.

Now you have 2 bootable disc which can be startup individually.

Connect back your current disk.

The best part here. In your BIOS settings, under the Harddisk boot sequence. You can actually set which HDD to boot first. Which also means, BIOS boot.

The most obvious advantage of this method is that you don't have to mess around with your current GOOD installation's boot sector. It is very troublesome to repair a dual boot system that either the system fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.