XP bug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denizenx

Feb 1, 2002
L2TPYSG
Visit site
windows explorer looking at media files:
move or delete gives file access error (something is using it)
actually it's explorer itself, cos if I change the pane to another folder, I can cut paste the file...
also my xp pro dun have filmstrip viewing mode...
erm anyone advise?

Originally posted by denizenx
windows explorer looking at media files:
move or delete gives file access error (something is using it)
actually it's explorer itself, cos if I change the pane to another folder, I can cut paste the file...
also my xp pro dun have filmstrip viewing mode...
erm anyone advise?

back to topic....probably it is becos once u click/choose a media file, it will start a preview and actually windows media player is running at background to display this preview in explorer...

that's why when u tried to delete it will gives file access error

even if u made your explorer so small that the preview panel is hidden, but Windows will still load the file for preview in background once u click it

only way to disable it is to off view as webpage

Originally posted by Wai
back to topic....probably it is becos once u click/choose a media file, it will start a preview and actually windows media player is running at background to display this preview in explorer...

that's why when u tried to delete it will gives file access error

even if u made your explorer so small that the preview panel is hidden, but Windows will still load the file for preview in background once u click it

only way to disable it is to off view as webpage

no leh.. I am one of those who use classic desktop + classic folders.. by right shdn't load right?

another bug, sometimes too much load/thrashing some programs lose the keyboard input LOL... for tablet the pen loses itself.. ;p

Originally posted by Wai
install Win2k Pro :thumbsup:

the best advice so far in this thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

use XP pro (original) and upgrade patch from MicroHOT!!!:D

Filmstrip view only works if u customized your folder to contain images. If it's an audio or document folder it won't show filmstrip as an option.

As for the 'file in use', trying switching to details, list or icon view instead of thumbnail or tiles view. before u begin 'cutting' or deleting. Or switch to another folder and come back again a few seconds later.

Originally posted by lyrrad
Filmstrip view only works if u customized your folder to contain images. If it's an audio or document folder it won't show filmstrip as an option.

As for the 'file in use', trying switching to details, list or icon view instead of thumbnail or tiles view. before u begin 'cutting' or deleting. Or switch to another folder and come back again a few seconds later.

nope filmstrip dun work
already in details view (always actually)

what's microHOT? anyway will try with a retail XP Pro instead of the Corp version ;p

Originally posted by ckiang
Buy the original XP Professional. :devil:

Never had problems....

Regards
CK
It's not the buying... I've got a CD from a new PC as well...

nope filmstrip dun work
already in details view (always actually)

You can right-click a folder, click customize and select what type of files it contains. Maybe you'll want to try that out?

Originally posted by imaginary_number
You can right-click a folder, click customize and select what type of files it contains. Maybe you'll want to try that out?

OH DUH! yeah I got it.. I disabled folder tasks all the while no wonder... but dun like filmstrip... just curious how to get it back..
thanks anyhow :)

the other is a bug then? self deadlocking file access? hahaa...

the other is a bug then? self deadlocking file access? hahaa...

I can't tell unless I know what applications you're running. Certain applications like ACDSEE 4.0 lock the image files even after u close the main application window. U using that?

Originally posted by imaginary_number
I can't tell unless I know what applications you're running. Certain applications like ACDSEE 4.0 lock the image files even after u close the main application window. U using that?

*just* explorer...
the files were not even opened previously or anything... "fresh"

Originally posted by ckiang
Buy the original XP Professional. :devil:

Never had problems....

Regards
CK

I don't see any mention that he was not using an original software.

Shouldn't we "assume" everyone to be a law-abidding citizen who only use orinigal software unless proven otherwise? (Innocent unless proven guilty) :bsmilie:

Originally posted by munfai
the best advice so far in this thread :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nah...this is better!

linuxbetteros.jpg

http://computer.online.sh.cn/computer/gb/content/2001-10/29/content_235878.htm

try this link if cannot see...

and munfai, technology for technology's sake does not add value. hehe sad but true... from my os/2 experience..

depending on what kind of value you're talking about... i'm talking about the kind of technology that's there even before you finally need it. on a closed-source operating system (and all other closed source software for that matter), any technology leap will basically mean upgrading to the next version for $$$ amount of dollars. I don't see the value in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.