Xiaomi + Hongmi

their CEO Lei Jun was asked how xiaomi plans to make money selling cheap phones at low volumes.
his response: we are not a hardware company that relies on the sales of our phones to make money. we are an internet company.

(what is an "internet company"?) :dunno:

their CEO Lei Jun was asked how xiaomi plans to make money selling cheap phones at low volumes.
his response: we are not a hardware company that relies on the sales of our phones to make money. we are an internet company.

(what is an "internet company"?) :dunno:
Sounds as if their emphasis is on the software and networking aspect such as cloud computing / storage, mobile applications / Operating System (OS), networking equipments, targeted online advertising etc. etc.

Last edited:
Sounds as if their emphasis is on the software and networking aspect such as cloud computing / storage, mobile applications / Operating System (OS), networking equipments, targeted online advertising etc. etc.

this is the interview w/ reuters
[video=youtube;KqrCPTnlvnk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqrCPTnlvnk[/video]

Sell watever data captured through the phone?

I bought one yesterday. I must say i am impressed so far. Once they build up their branding, the story will be different.

If the mi3 has 4G, I would buy it in a heartbeat...

If the mi3 has 4G, I would buy it in a heartbeat...

If u r in Singapore, You probably won't mind 3G once the telcos start charging for 4G as a value added services when u have to recontract.

keithwee said:
If u r in Singapore, You probably won't mind 3G once the telcos start charging for 4G as a value added services when u have to recontract.

Yes, especially for ppl like me who still want hold on to the 12gb 3G mobile data.

Where to buy the xiaomi phone?

Like the Xiaomi Facebook.... Normally they will update when the next online sales timing and date... Sales only accept PayPal... So better create one of you don't have one.... And you have 5-10 minutes to purchase of the item is in high demand ... So look though what you would like to get... When the sales starts... Just add to cart right away.... Happy snatching... Hehehe...

page 2..post 33 now...

and.....

no live actual photos taken by the rice phones...
those who got the phones..dun mind sharing?

Last edited:
I don't have problem with ANYmi, but I have issue with the os itself. Lag lag lag

I saw one retail shop on the 3rd floor at JEM selling the Redmi for $199 cash and carry, about one week ago.

The xiaomi power banks are damn popular. They released 5,000 pieces and it was out of stock within 2-3min of the sale on vesak day. Amazing....

TANHK said:
I saw one retail shop on the 3rd floor at JEM selling the Redmi for $199 cash and carry, about one week ago.

Heard there are some which suspect to be fake Redmi (including the now popular Powerbank), so careful when buying from other sources.
Or are not made for our market, heard some version may have problem install Google Play store or some apps.
Can get at places like Singtel shops etc at same price of $169 if directly fr Xiaomi.

Last edited:
richiemccaw1 said:
The xiaomi power banks are damn popular. They released 5,000 pieces and it was out of stock within 2-3min of the sale on vesak day. Amazing....

Lot ppl bought more than 1 piece and resell them.
It cheap for a large powerbank