Xiao Long Bao

whomovemycheese

May 30, 2010
XiaoLongBao.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Looking for comments on overall composition, perspective, lighting and color.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Have lunch a Din Tai Fung today, ordered their must dim sum "Xiao Long Bao". The dish is served in traditional bamboo holder. Suddenly, it reminds me of the time when I had dim sum and xiao long bao in a old traditional restaurant in Hong Kong. So for this shot, I tried using sephia effect to introduce/display an old traditional Chinese dim sum/dish.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Indoor.

Exposure Time: 1/10 sec
Exposure Prog: Aperture Priority
F-Number: f/4.0
ISO Speed: 200

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I find using sephia effect can bring out the feeling that xiao long bao is an old traditional Chinese dim sum.

Last edited:
Hi!

Just some comments from my side.

I think cropping of the photo is required as the left side of the photo is redundent, making the photo look without a focus.

I believe you can still up your iso to reduce the slight camera shake.

Try going closer to the xiao long bao to show more details.

I think the colour doesnt look very pleasing. Prolly play with the WB or some post processing?

Anyway, keep shooting! ;)

Last edited:
doesn't look sepia to me.

would prefer a tighter crop.

also can increase contrast.

You know what. Nan Xiang Xiao Long is my favourite dish. Xie fen Xiao Long is a dish that brought me many memories. But when I look at your photo, they don't make me drool nor long for them. What is the characteristics of a delicious xiao long bao? juicy on the inside and steaming hot on the outside. The skin should also be thin yet firm, and fairy white.

I would have preferred the shot to be taken from the top with all the buns in focus. If can see some steam from the top and the bottom full of juice waiting to burst out, it will be excellent. Of couse the xiao long at Sin Ding Tai Feng is of quite low standard. I know you are trying to bring nolstagia into the picture. But food is meant to look appealingly delicious, not like some stale yellowish expired buns.

Nope I don't feel the same as what you have hoped to express.

XiaoLongBao.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Looking for comments on overall composition, perspective, lighting and color.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Have lunch a Din Tai Fung today, ordered their must dim sum "Xiao Long Bao". The dish is served in traditional bamboo holder. Suddenly, it reminds me of the time when I had dim sum and xiao long bao in a old traditional restaurant in Hong Kong. So for this shot, I tried using sephia effect to introduce/display an old traditional Chinese dim sum/dish.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Indoor.

Exposure Time: 1/10 sec
Exposure Prog: Aperture Priority
F-Number: f/4.0
ISO Speed: 200

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I find using sephia effect can bring out the feeling that xiao long bao is an old traditional Chinese dim sum.

Food photography, the one MAIN & PRIMARY concern is how to make the food tasty & delicious. Changing it into sepia or black and white DOES NOT necessary GUARRANTEE the appetizing success. You should be concern on the lighting conditions. TOP PRIORITY for food photography is LIGHTING, yes not storm & lighting but artifical lights or natural lights.

The photographer should:
- study the food and then proceed onto his/her mindset before executing the shot.
- then conceptualize a lighting set, whether by artifical lighting or natural light source.
- experiment, learn from the mistake of first few shots and SOLVE the problem before actual shoot.
- photoshop software can only enhance your pictures but not solving problems.

Now, lets take a look at your picture. Seriously, since it is your first try, I keep it low.
- Firstly, the White Balance (WB) is out.
- Next, while there is a shadow Depth-of-field (DOF), which is nice for taking out the extras details, your subject is blur out, due to hand held shot I presume.
- Thirdly, you can do a more close-up shot, if possible. Close-up shot makes food more appetizing, and focus onto the subject, with other details blur-out background as a backdrop.

When you go back to Din Tai Fung, take a few more shots, I am sure you can do better.

:thumbsup:

You know what. Nan Xiang Xiao Long is my favourite dish. Xie fen Xiao Long is a dish that brought me many memories. But when I look at your photo, they don't make me drool nor long for them. What is the characteristics of a delicious xiao long bao? juicy on the inside and steaming hot on the outside. The skin should also be thin yet firm, and fairy white.

I would have preferred the shot to be taken from the top with all the buns in focus. If can see some steam from the top and the bottom full of juice waiting to burst out, it will be excellent. Of couse the xiao long at Sin Ding Tai Feng is of quite low standard. I know you are trying to bring nolstagia into the picture. But food is meant to look appealingly delicious, not like some stale yellowish expired buns.

Sadly Nan Xiang at shanghai Yu gardens is no longer nice. :cry:

Hi!

Just some comments from my side.

I think cropping of the photo is required as the left side of the photo is redundent, making the photo look without a focus.

I believe you can still up your iso to reduce the slight camera shake.

Try going closer to the xiao long bao to show more details.

I think the colour doesnt look very pleasing. Prolly play with the WB or some post processing?

Anyway, keep shooting! ;)

doesn't look sepia to me.

would prefer a tighter crop.

also can increase contrast.

Food photography, the one MAIN & PRIMARY concern is how to make the food tasty & delicious. Changing it into sepia or black and white DOES NOT necessary GUARRANTEE the appetizing success. You should be concern on the lighting conditions. TOP PRIORITY for food photography is LIGHTING, yes not storm & lighting but artifical lights or natural lights.

The photographer should:
- study the food and then proceed onto his/her mindset before executing the shot.
- then conceptualize a lighting set, whether by artifical lighting or natural light source.
- experiment, learn from the mistake of first few shots and SOLVE the problem before actual shoot.
- photoshop software can only enhance your pictures but not solving problems.

Now, lets take a look at your picture. Seriously, since it is your first try, I keep it low.
- Firstly, the White Balance (WB) is out.
- Next, while there is a shadow Depth-of-field (DOF), which is nice for taking out the extras details, your subject is blur out, due to hand held shot I presume.
- Thirdly, you can do a more close-up shot, if possible. Close-up shot makes food more appetizing, and focus onto the subject, with other details blur-out background as a backdrop.

When you go back to Din Tai Fung, take a few more shots, I am sure you can do better.

:thumbsup:

Thank you all for taking time to provide me with your valuable feedbacks.