xd card or photo storage device

Status
Not open for further replies.

hippocrates

May 10, 2005
I'll be going to Europe for a two-weeks trip. I've a Fujifilm F30 compact camera which uses xd card only. Can anyone kindly advise me whether it's better for me to buy a few xd cards (I need about 8-10Gb in total) or to get a photo storage device which costs roughly $300 with 250 Gb storage?

I like xd cards because they are light and more shock-resistant, but I'm just worried that they will become obsolete if I upgrade to another camera that doesn't use xd cards in the future.

Any opinion is appreciated. Thanks.

By the way, is there a simple device that would allow me to transfer photos directly from the memory card to a thumbdrive or portable harddisk?

illustration:

Thumbdrive --> [TRANSFER DEVICE (rechargeable, small and light)] <-- memory card

That would be fantastic. :)

I have left the search key words highlighted, the search function is upper right hand. Help yourself, it's foc :)
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549411&highlight=photo+transfer+hard+disk
Just do some maths regarding the price of memory cards vs. the price of the HDD solution. Do consider also the question of batteries / power supply and mechanical stability. I'd prefer memory cards.

Depending on what I shoot, I might compromise on the size (resolution) of the picture and get xD cards. Light & small & can bring with you on shoots. But that's just me.

Since its only for a trip, you can consider borrowing from friends if they use XD cards or Photo storage device. If you bring netbook along, you can use it to transfer to yr thumbdrive or portable HD.

Thanks guys for the valuable information.

Guess I'll get a few xd cards at the upcoming COMEX. Hopefully they are not too pricey.

Hyperdrive and Nexto Extreme look attractive, but they are too expensive for me.

thats why i alwys avoided xd card.. limited usage since not many brand using it other then olympus nad fuji..

theres a Xd adapter that accepts microSD cards.. u may want to try that since the microSD is cheaper i think

thats why i alwys avoided xd card.. limited usage since not many brand using it other then olympus nad fuji..

theres a Xd adapter that accepts microSD cards.. u may want to try that since the microSD is cheaper i think

That's a marvelous idea, thanks!

Yeah, my main problem is I'm stuck with xd card. If I'm using sd or cf, I won't hesistate to buy a dozen of those memory cards... but not with xd that is so uncommon and expensive.

Any idea where I can buy the xd adaptor? Sim Lim Square or Eastgear?

try ebay... some 3rd party ones a lot... if u want good speed maybe u hv to buy from olumpus itself for a original one

That's a marvelous idea, thanks!

Yeah, my main problem is I'm stuck with xd card. If I'm using sd or cf, I won't hesistate to buy a dozen of those memory cards... but not with xd that is so uncommon and expensive.

Any idea where I can buy the xd adaptor? Sim Lim Square or Eastgear?

try simlim or any other software shops selling micro-sd cards...

they usually have the adapters.

or as another cs-er suggested, ebay is another good place to hunt

I would go with a photo storage device that has a built-in card reader capable of reading the common card formats, rather then buying so many XDs. XD is sunset technology which even Fujifilm is abondoning. With the storage device, it can be used with other cards like SD or CF in the future when you no longer using XD, and you won't be stucked with so many useless XD cards. The internal 2.5" hard disk of the storage device can be upgraded in the future if you need larger capacity. And you can use the storage device to copy photos from your friends without the need of a computer when going on a trip. I would only go with the multiple memory cards option if I need to bring them to high altitute (e.g. climbing mountains) where the air is too thin for the hard disk to be operational.

Status
Not open for further replies.