X100s vs X100t

gardna

Apr 17, 2013
Singapore
Hi all, contemplating these two models as want a small camera to bring around. If you know any other models from other brands that have the similar size and focal length, do leave them in the comments.

I already own a 70D that does my main bulk of my shooting so i am not open to getting a xt-1 even if it might be better.

Was wondering if the difference in price would be worth it. I read that the auto focus speed is faster and that there is wifi. However, i dont really need the af speed and i guess i can buy the eye-fi card thing.

Do direct me to another post if this question has been posted before, thanks.

There is also the Ricoh GR and the Nikon Coolpix A. both using APS-C sensor. The new Lumix LX100 is also a very good performer using a m43 sensor. And it comes with a zoom lens too.

icic, thanks. will research on them.

For me, Classic Chrome and better overall responsiveness makes me want the X100T. I think small sensor cameras in small compact bodies like the Sony RX100MK3 is excellent. But if image quality is important, skip them all and stick with APSC and FF. I would not get the LX100, had that and dis not found the lens to be rather average.

Since everyone also start recommending their favourite small compact camera. I would like to add my bit. I like my Canon G7X, yeah, it didn't had a better lens as compared to Sony RX100mkIII, but it is a small little beast in its own right, and the price is pretty affordable, at least to me. I have been using it to shoot pictures of my doggie, some landscape and mostly for my work purpose, I have no compain over it at all. And, the last I heard, it shared the same or similar sensor as the RX100mkIII.

Hi all, contemplating these two models as want a small camera to bring around. If you know any other models from other brands that have the similar size and focal length, do leave them in the comments. I already own a 70D that does my main bulk of my shooting so i am not open to getting a xt-1 even if it might be better. Was wondering if the difference in price would be worth it. I read that the auto focus speed is faster and that there is wifi. However, i dont really need the af speed and i guess i can buy the eye-fi card thing. Do direct me to another post if this question has been posted before, thanks.

If u are very clear you don't need the wifi or the faster focusing speed , then the other main advantages of the X100T over the X100S are the refined buttons and slightly better controls.

In that case , I'll say go for the X100S, and yes , the eye-Fi works well with the X100S. I used the S and am now using the T.

Come to think of it, why not a use A7 and FE35?

It will even use the Canon lenses via adapter

Shuffling between a 70d and a mirrorless will already see a disparity in AF speed. Taking a step backwards to the x100s might be frustrating. Eye-fi works well but takes up quite a bit of battery. The x100 series are not known for good battery life although the T is better than the S. I do not count the number of shots but I do not find myself changing batteries as frequently.

I fine the battery life perfectly fine actually.
On a DSLR I can take 2k photo on a single battery when I move over to x100s and xt1 . I find that I work with the limitation by making shot count... Moreover battery is cheap so can get a few more.

Thanks for the input. I realise that i forgot to add that i would prefer a body that doesn't require me to change lenses as well as no significant bulging lenses that's why i narrowed down to the X100 series. The Ricoh does fit that criteria as well, thanks @daredevil123. I guess the size and price is appealing.

Any idea if the rx100III is similar to the s100? i have a guess it isnt. Reason why is because my mum already has a s100 and i can borrow it anytime.

@keithwee: Since you have used both, what do you feel is the difference?

Im buying this just to shoot table shots and things that require a wider angle so a fixed focal length is preferred as much as it is tempting to get variable focal length cameras.

Thanks all for the input again =)

The X100s and X100t don't feel that different to me.

Personally I'd just go with the cheaper one :)

Ricoh is superb when it comes to pure one handed usability

The X100s and X100t don't feel that different to me. Personally I'd just go with the cheaper one :) Ricoh is superb when it comes to pure one handed usability

The 100T felt slightly faster somehow. But i guess the Ricoh is more value for money? Unless of course if you like the appearance of the 100 series, why not.

The silver black finish does seem very nice.

Anyway, is the Ricoh at many shops? Actually, this is the first time i heard of this model. Any idea how much it is, roughly?

The silver black finish does seem very nice.

Anyway, is the Ricoh at many shops? Actually, this is the first time i heard of this model. Any idea how much it is, roughly?

Ricoh GR is supposedly 825, with extra battery and 8gb sd card.

Had a X100 before and now using a Ricoh GR. Imo it's a great camera (APSC sensor, no AA filter) that you can even put into a pocket. Can hardly tell it's in any bag, yet can deliver great IQ and usability. Coupled with a Toshiba Flashair sd card to pull JPGs for social media/whatsapp, and a Joby micro tripod. This has been the perfect daily snapshooter for me.

Ricoh GR is supposedly 825, with extra battery and 8gb sd card.

Had a X100 before and now using a Ricoh GR. Imo it's a great camera (APSC sensor, no AA filter) that you can even put into a pocket. Can hardly tell it's in any bag, yet can deliver great IQ and usability. Coupled with a Toshiba Flashair sd card to pull JPGs for social media/whatsapp, and a Joby micro tripod. This has been the perfect daily snapshooter for me.

since you mentioned that you used both before, could you tell me what you like about one over the other? thanks =)

since you mentioned that you used both before, could you tell me what you like about one over the other? thanks =)

X100
I like 35mm focal length
F2 aperture is faster than GR
Evf/ovf is a good feature
Can customise and make it look retro
Great Fuji colours
Battery life didnt seem so good
SD card needs to be reformatted often after connecting to PC
Hated the scroll wheel on the back, controls felt unintuitive
The leatherette covering is shiny and not grippy
Not pocketable, still require a camera strap/bag
Macro need to stop down to f4

Ended up selling it to get back into M4/3 system

Later picked up a Ricoh GR for daily use
28mm is wide, but can also be cropped in camera to 35mm 10MP
Controls are easy to use one-handed
Pocketable and light weight, yet well built with Mag alloy body
Body has good texture and soft rubber
Positive film preset is pleasing to me
Not picky with SD card formatting, haven't formatted my Flashair as it will kill the Wifi function but still works fine
Snap focus mode means GR is great for streets and quick snaps
Raw files dont look as good in Lightroom though

I think any further specific info about GR better to do via PM