X100 Fujifilm Finepix versus S100 Canon PowerShot

Jacoblenin

Aug 27, 2011
Hi, may I know which camera, between X100 & S100, which would you recommend?

S100 at least for me. :)
Try comparing side by side at dpreview

There's no real comparison. From usability to interface to sensor size and lens capability they are totally different. If you want something simple that can zoom and take good pics without fuss, S100. If you rally want to learn photography and are ok with a single focal length, X100.

Rashkae said:
There's no real comparison. From usability to interface to sensor size and lens capability they are totally different. If you want something simple that can zoom and take good pics without fuss, S100. If you rally want to learn photography and are ok with a single focal length, X100.

Hi Rashkae, I am considering the X100 (emotionally inclined) but the sticky aperture issue & $$$ are hard to overcome.. And S100 seems like a more sensible choice.

Basically those two are very different camera. The X100 had bigger sensor, prime lens and hybrid viewfinder. The S100 is actually an advance PnS...

Hi Rashkae, I am considering the X100 (emotionally inclined) but the sticky aperture issue & $$$ are hard to overcome.. And S100 seems like a more sensible choice.

You really can't compare the 2, it's apple and oranges. One is a modern rangefinder, the other is a good point-and-shoot.

Thanks all for your advice... Seems like x100 has many technical issues (stuck pixels, sticky aperture blades, autofocusing...). Would you still recommend it?

Hi Jacoblenin , as this thread is in newbies corner, i assume u as a beginner , please bear in mind that there is no auto mode in fuji x100 and the menu/layout could be quite confusing for beginner as well ..I suggest you to wait for the new x10 which is cheaper, zoom lens, better sensor than canon s100, better built quality (overall better than canon). Amazon UK mentioned it will available in november. Gud luck with your choice.

YeHein said:
Hi Jacoblenin , as this thread is in newbies corner, i assume u as a beginner , please bear in mind that there is no auto mode in fuji x100 and the menu/layout could be quite confusing for beginner as well ..I suggest you to wait for the new x10 which is cheaper, zoom lens, better sensor than canon s100, better built quality (overall better than canon). Amazon UK mentioned it will available in november. Gud luck with your choice.

Hai, ryo-Kai desu! Domo arrigato :)

Plenty of options, but X100 and S100 is an unfair comparison.
X100 is ~$1.5k with larger APS-C sensor with associated benefits.
S100 is an advanced pns.

There are also LX5, XZ-1, Pentax Q and m4/3 cameras with pancake lenses to consider.

Decide what you want in the camera before spending your money.

Why s100 of all other alternatives?

YeHein said:
lol sry what is that mean???

Hey, that means 'yes I understand. Thank u!'

Berkins said:
Why s100 of all other alternatives?

Hey Berkins, I'm shopping for a not too bulky, good night shots (sensors) capability + good image stabilizer. Heard alot of great stuff abt the Canon S100, that's why :)

See the x10 promotion video on youtube, u will see all the features u want + amazing retro/vintage design same as x100( I fall in luv with it) + better leather case than canon s100 which is absolutely cool
Hey Berkins, I'm shopping for a not too bulky, good night shots (sensors) capability + good image stabilizer. Heard alot of great stuff abt the Canon S100, that's why :)

Hey everyone, I was at the Harvey Norman sale at the expo, S95 selling at $499, includes camera bag, 8g sd card, PLUS additional battery! Very tempted to get that instead of x10 or s100!

Hey everyone, I was at the Harvey Norman sale at the expo, S95 selling at $499, includes camera bag, 8g sd card, PLUS additional battery! Very tempted to get that instead of x10 or s100!

Isn't that the normal pricing? hmmm

Perhaps Canon S100 should be considered next to a Fujifilm X10, as a more appropriate and closer comparison?

daredevil123 said:
Isn't that the normal pricing? hmmm

I forgot to add that they were giving away a DVD player with every purchase...

@geihou: yeah I'm waiting to get either s100 or the x10 now :)