X frames per second

AkemiOgre

Oct 30, 2010
Hey anybody knows how do they measure frames per second ? And will it be affected by shutter speed ? Thankyou :)

Hey anybody knows how do they measure frames per second ? And will it be affected by shutter speed ? Thankyou :)

uh.. not sure how but if you visit the product site of your camera, it shld be under the specs. rightfully i think it will be affected by the shutter speed.. say, if your camera is 10 fps and your shutter speed is 2s, you still aint going to snap 10 shots in 1 sec.. tt's what i think la.. i might be wrong though

erm.. maybe 10 fps means the shutter can open and close 10 times in 1s, but it also depends on ur exposure time.

Last edited:
i guess they just hold down the shutter and time say 10s then count the number of photos taken? haha i'm not too sure my guess is as good as yours.

but about the shutter speed, it does in fact influence the frame rate. there's actually a threshold to get the maximum fps. e.g. i dont think even 1/8" will get you 8fps if you're using an 8 fps camera. it's probably more like 1/250" or smth but you have to check this and it varies from camera to camera

I think the shutter speed does not affect the frame rates as much. Even as I set my shutter speed to 1/4000 and my camera is only capable of 10fps, my shutter will still only shoot 10 shots per seconds.

Best way to find out is basically to read up on the camera's manual or something. To test it, I usually set my camera to burst mode and I just set my shutter to 1/30 or so and start shooting for just one second. Then, count how many shots taken.

That's all i know though.

since they are rated in frames per second, u can count how many frames it snap within 1 second. in the manual, it states that the camera can only achieve X frames per second above a certain shutter speed. any slower n u wun be able to get tat number of frames in 1 second as stated in the spec sheet.

Hey ty everyone ! I know its really a random question , thanks for the help xD

mathematically speakly, 10 frame per second basically is 10 x 1/10s. this is only in term of shutter speed, process speed of the cpu, buffer of camera and writing speed of memory card also plays a part. so even at 1/4000s it still wont cross the fps limit set by the manufacturer.

if you set at 1/30s, 3 frames already need close to 1sec, so at best you would only get 4fps, again not taking into consideration of buffer and card speed.

Last edited:
With a large in-camera buffer camera body, you should be able to attain, if not very very close to the manufacturer FPS if you shoot at a certain speed and above.

mathematically speakly, 10 frame per second basically is 10 x 1/10s. this is only in term of shutter speed, process speed of the cpu, buffer of camera and writing speed of memory card also plays a part. so even at 1/4000s it still wont cross the fps limit set by the manufacturer.

if you set at 1/30s, 3 frames already need close to 1sec, so at best you would only get 4fps, again not taking into consideration of buffer and card speed.

Also depends on how fast your camera is. On an A55, at 1/15s, you already get 10 FPS.