Not open for further replies.

kawan

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Tested item :

RIDATA 20x 256MB CF
DATA content :
16x 5Mpix TIFF and 35x 0.3Mpix JPG (Total size 241MB)
X's-Drive
BATT condition : 3rd Cycle fully charged 1 hour b4 test
Singapore Room Tempreture

test result will follow after I came back from supper :p

OK..
I'm back

I transfer the CF contents (full 256MB) into X's-Drive
each transfer took ~ 5min 30sec
I leave the CF card in X-drive & let X-drive auto power off after every transfer
and on it back about 5 min later for next transfer

Manage to transfer 15 times
then the low batt LED light up
manage to transfer another 5 round before the low batt LED start to flash

so total + = 20 transfer => 5GB of data
Total transfer time (include boot up & b4 auto power off) = ~120mins

(it isn't way to far from what it claim of 150mins & 46 transfer of 128MB with a total data = 5.5Gb)
:)

another good news is that :
external batt pack:
for those that own ImageTank
the external batt pack of 6x 1.2V still useable
I try to plug it in and the low batt LED stop flashing
and manage to transfer 2 more cycle w/o any error

:::::UPDATE :::::

bad news,
should be the test on external batt pack that I carry out previously was not right or not thorough enough
now I fully drain the internal batt by connect it to PC and carry out massive file transfer (> 7GB) ..

after the low batt LED flash for some time,
the transfer stop and windowsXP prompt me to insert the removetable hdd (due to the x-drive stop functioning as no more batt power)
I connect the external batt pack, and try to turn on the X-drive.
NO LUCK!! :( :confused:
the drive refuze to turn on.

so.. seems like the 7.2V batt pack can/t work with X-drive,
better get a 9V / 12V pack (10x 1.2V)

sorry for the wrong info previously.

no cheers;p

Originally posted by kawan
OK..
I'm back

I transfer the CF contents (full 256MB) into X's-Drive
each transfer took ~ 5min 30sec
I leave the CF card in X-drive & let X-drive auto power off after every transfer
and on it back about 5 min later for next transfer

Manage to transfer 15 times
then the low batt LED light up
manage to transfer another 5 round before the low batt LED start to flash

so total + = 20 transfer => 5GB of data
Total transfer time (include boot up & b4 auto power off) = ~120mins

(it isn't way to far from what it claim of 150mins & 46 transfer of 128MB with a total data = 5.5Gb)

another good news is that :
external batt pack:
for those that own ImageTank
the external batt pack of 6x 1.2V still useable
I try to plug it in and the low batt LED stop flashing
and manage to transfer 2 more cycle w/o any error

cheers
Hi, friend
any tips in using this x-drive?
I will not shoot RAW format photos most of the time.

do we need to format the card when we have transfer the images to x-drive everytime? or it is applicable to those using RAW format ? (I have read some thread that replied by you)
You suggested that we should
format the card after initial transfer. I do not want to format the card so often as I afraid this will shorten the lifetime of the card.

the main problem with X's-Drive is that it can't handle messy FAT at all.
if it try to copy files from a messy FAT card, 3 thing will happen:
1) the file will get corrupted after copied into X's-Drive
2) the file nv get copy at all (and X's-Drive nv prompt you on this :angry: )
3) If you're lucky enough, the copy take place w/o any problem

How a FAT in a memory card can get messy?
=> you save & delete files into Memory card in your device (digicam, ppc, cardreader, etc) as FAT is actually only a "index" of files giving info to the device where to access the specific file, and X-drive can't take this "index" file which was overwriten by anydevice later on before the file being copy.

=> some device maintain their own FAT that not really compatible with others (as FAT32 still able to write on FAT16 / FAT)..

By formating the memory card, the you ensure that a fresh FAT being generated & will / may escape from the file corruption issue
(may as seems that a small number of ppl still having this problem even after format :( , but it's quite a rare case)

The corruption of FAT table not only imply to RAW, any files type will have to face this issue..

don't worry too much on shorten ur memory card lifespan as you format too often,
as the spec stated : 1,000,000 erace cycle that will given ~ 30 yrs of usage if you cycle ur card 100 times everyday..
and the FAT in Memory card map the memory area in random mode, meaning that if you always write only 10% of the max cap everytime, this 10% will not always be writen at the same memory cell of the card, but will be randomize share to other cells..
this will greatly increase the lifespan of the card

bdw, you can save lot of time by using FORMAT instead of ERASE ALL.. isn't it?

Originally posted by kawan
the main problem with X's-Drive is that it can't handle messy FAT at all.
if it try to copy files from a messy FAT card, 3 thing will happen:
1) the file will get corrupted after copied into X's-Drive
2) the file nv get copy at all (and X's-Drive nv prompt you on this :angry: )
3) If you're lucky enough, the copy take place w/o any problem

How a FAT in a memory card can get messy?
=> you save & delete files into Memory card in your device (digicam, ppc, cardreader, etc) as FAT is actually only a "index" of files giving info to the device where to access the specific file, and X-drive can't take this "index" file which was overwriten by anydevice later on before the file being copy.

=> some device maintain their own FAT that not really compatible with others (as FAT32 still able to write on FAT16 / FAT)..

By formating the memory card, the you ensure that a fresh FAT being generated & will / may escape from the file corruption issue
(may as seems that a small number of ppl still having this problem even after format :( , but it's quite a rare case)

The corruption of FAT table not only imply to RAW, any files type will have to face this issue..

don't worry too much on shorten ur memory card lifespan as you format too often,
as the spec stated : 1,000,000 erace cycle that will given ~ 30 yrs of usage if you cycle ur card 100 times everyday..
and the FAT in Memory card map the memory area in random mode, meaning that if you always write only 10% of the max cap everytime, this 10% will not always be writen at the same memory cell of the card, but will be randomize share to other cells..
this will greatly increase the lifespan of the card

bdw, you can save lot of time by using FORMAT instead of ERASE ALL.. isn't it?

thanks! I really appreciate your answers! I will be travelling at the end of this year. Even though I have the xdrive now, I have not time to use it now. Hope won't face any troubles with the xdrive. :rbounce: :gbounce:

Well done Kawan! This will be very helpful to all users as its battery life is quite a concern.

I'm using the 1GB Microdrive though and my initial estimate is that battery life is much shortened. Same way it saps more power from digicams.

let say if MicroDrive suck 20% more power than CF,
this still will give you at least 1 transfer once the low batt LED start to light up..and start to flashing
(if 256MB CF can do 5 more transfer after the LED light-up = 1280MB; IGB MicroDrive : 1280MB x 80% =~1GB)

But personaly I don't think the batt is so low performance,
if it's true that it sucks 20% more power, then a fully charged batt will only give you ~3 transfer cycle (5GB x 80% x75%) before get a low batt signal?!?!
5GB : Total transfer per batt cycle;
80% : Microdrive sucks 20% more power;
75% : 15 transfer cycle b4 the low batt LED turn on(out of 20)

maybe you wanna try it out to chk my prediction :)

so, 1GB of Images is still good enough to shoot around and put aside the worry of X-drive die of low batt..
just make sure you get it charge as you get the chance to do so..
and also don't forget to give the batt a few "warm up exercise" to give it a full perfomance b4 showtime by conditioning it 3 / 4 cycles now

but pls refer to my other threat on X's-Drive nv transfer some files
at HERE
this is more serius case

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.