WTB Olympus SP-550UZ, quotes or advice please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orpheous

May 17, 2007
Hi all!
as you can see, I'm very new here, but I've been trawling through the forums for some time now.
My girlfriend and I will be visiting Singapore in early June, and again in July.
The purpose of the first visit will be almost specifically to buy an Olympus SP-550UZ for use during the rest of our holiday (Thailand, Malaysia and again Singapore)
We will be staying very near to SLS for this reason during our first visit.
I've noticed that Singapore doesn't tend to have a lot of online retail sites, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places (only Google.com.sg) but I'm assuming that it may be due to your high population density and small size.

Anyway, I have found links to Sim Lim Square's store brochures, but I was wondering if these are the "actual" prices for the camera.

What I would like to ask is:
If anyone has recently bought one of these cameras, could you please post the price that you paid for it here, with accessories included and the store which you bought from?
A link to the store's website or an email address would also be appreciated :)

Or,
If you currently work in a retail outlet which sells this model, would you be able to post the proposed price here? Please also include accessories, contact details and/or store location, or alternately, you can send me a private message (if this site allows)

Thank you for taking the time to read this :D

p.s. can't wait to visit!

tony_teo

Feb 10, 2005
Tanah Merah
It'll be best if you get an e-quote for the stores directly, rather than asking for prices. The regulars here normally partronize the following stores,

Cathay Photo, #01-11/14 Peninsula Plaza, Tel: 6337 4274, e-mail: mail@cathayphoto.com.sg

John 3:16, #05-46 Funan Digitalife Mall, Tel: 6337 2877 / 6337 1897, e-mail: richardgan@pacific.net.sg

Lord's Camera, 304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza, Tel: 6235 4605, e-mail: lordscom@singnet.com.sg

MS Colour, Block 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C, Tel: 6457 6380, e-mail: sales@mscolor.com.sg [need to go to web site for e-quote]

TK Foto Technic, 100 Beach Rd, #02-45 Shaw Towers, Tel: 6292 4533, e-mail: sales@tkfoto.com.sg

Orient Photo, 1 Rochor Canal Road, #06-53/31, Sim Lim Square, e-mail: sales@orientfoto.com.sg [usually grey sets only]

Regards

delfichoc

May 3, 2007
u can try walking in to alan photo. it's at level one of sls. should be able to get a gd quote from them too. bt please dun go song brothers, they are known for throat-cutting price.

Galdor

Jul 5, 2006
Planet Gaia
s105.photobucket.com
I find Alan Photo's pricing not very attractive also and the service :thumbsd: . I would recommend you to get from Cathay, MS Color, John 3:16 or TK Foto.

delfichoc

May 3, 2007
depends on who is the one quoting. i agree AP service is not that good. Good service, i can tink of in AP is Steven. That uncle. wear specs one.

harper

Mar 13, 2005
lost in translation
well...

i'm using the 550uz now...

and got it at john 3.16 as mentioned earlier, the price is not the cheapest, got it at 750 with a 1gb card, but the service is great/ or should i say the best that i've gotten before... and i believe that the shop does not serve based on "colors" ...

Alan has a slightly cheaper price though but i bought for the great service i got.

do remember to get a e quote from the shops before you go down, such as cathay as the price tends to be higher for walk ins and those with quotes...

delfichoc

May 3, 2007
depends on what u are looking for. if u noe what u wan, buy n go, den it's ok to get from AP. prob u can tell AP pp, john 3:16 selling at 700 plus, see hw much they are able to offer. if they refuse to go lower, just too bad for them. or try getting equotes fr other shops too. ms color equotes are also cheaper than walk in. normally equotes are handled by the ladyboss.:)

Orpheous

May 17, 2007
ms color equotes are also cheaper than walk in. normally equotes are handled by the ladyboss.:)
:thumbsup:
Just received an equote from MS Color, in case anyone else is also looking at buying the Olympus SP-550UZ, their price is $685 inc. case + 1Gb card

will let you know when the others reply...

;)

Orpheous

May 17, 2007
Cathay Photo $705 inc. soft case & 1Gb Type M card

harper

Mar 13, 2005
lost in translation
:thumbsup:
Just received an equote from MS Color, in case anyone else is also looking at buying the Olympus SP-550UZ, their price is $685 inc. case + 1Gb card

will let you know when the others reply...

;)
woah... that's cheap... think the price has come down already... :)

Orpheous

May 17, 2007
woah... that's cheap... think the price has come down already... :)
I think so too, considering it was only released a few months ago at around AUD$799!

I just found an Australian site advertising it for AUD$536 (approx SGD$670), but I've never heard of them before...

Alan Photo: SGD$690(ex GST) with 512Mb XD card & pouch

MS Color is definitely winning my $'s so far! :D

Orpheous

May 17, 2007
If going back to Oz, can claim GST refund right? Even cheaper!!:thumbsup:
I believe there is a tax refund available for travellers at Changi Airport, which should save me SGD$30+ after buying accessories :)

Status
Not open for further replies.