wtb my first dslr. a350 or d90

Status
Not open for further replies.

eekin

Oct 20, 2008
i've been thking abt this for very long alrd.. im a newbie, wanna start hobby and hope to find a job with it.. which one shd i get in ur honest opinion.

sony alpha a350. lowest price i was quoted. 1.4k. twin lense kin. 18-70 and 50-200.
wat attracts me the most is the lens package, high mp and tiltable lcd.

or

nikon d90. quoted 1.6k wit 18-105 lense. plus points tat i like is it gd low light capabilities, solid built and wide range of lense choices out thr in the market.

other than those specs i noted, thrs nthg much in depth i knopw abt these cams. read alot of reviews but nthg is much more worthy than opinions from the users out thr. reviews frm the net is either too neutral or too one sided (eg. like from shopowners tryinh to push a higher profit.

if i were to put it like a350 vs the d90, how wud u guys comment on it...

thx for anione who reads this. i relli have to make up my mind fast, or i wud end up buying one on impulse.. haha.. thx alot..

cheers..~

-kinn

if ur hoping to find a job with it, the nikon d90 might do better, impressions wise. should be easier for you to get hold of accessories to expand your photography too if needed. other than that, i don't know.

im an owner of a350, basically the camera is quite good, except that it doesnt have mirror lock up.. :-(
but do note that sony accessories and lenses are not cheap.. they sell cheap bodies, but later when you wanna buy more lenses or accs you will find how expensive owning sony cams actually is.. :sweatsm: *they even rebranded old minolta lenses and sell it more expensive than minolta was selling them.. but im not sure about the prices of nikon lenses..
anyway, im now thinking to jump ship..

I will choose the D90 because based on my results from a little bit of research,
The results are,

KenBit Is From The Nikon Camp And Owns A D90

Ok. Getting on to the facts,

A350 Vs D90

Lousier Build Vs Solid Build

No VGA Resolution On LCD Screen (Not Sure) Vs VGA Resolution On LCD Screen

No Grids On Viewfinder Vs Has The HOT Grids In The Viewfinder

Less Modes Vs More Modes

Cheaper Vs More Expansive

3 FPS Vs 4.5 FPS

9 Point Autofocus Vs 11 Point Autofocus

2.7 Inch LCD Vs 3 Inch 920K Dot LCD

No Video Mode Vs Video Mode Enabled

In-Body IS Vs No In-Body IS

14.2 Megapixels Vs 12.3 Megapixels

Enables Tilting On LCD Vs Fixed LCD

Less Amount Of Glass And Flash Vs Wider Range Of Glass And Flash

ISO Expansion: 100-3200 Vs 100-6400 (Expanded)

NO GPS Output Vs GPS Enabled Output

Older Vs Newer

Verdict:

Sony 4 - 11 Nikon

Winner?

Nikon D90! And Thats The Bottom Line Coz Stone Cold Said So! ;)

Hope This Is Helpful.

P.S. Caps Makes It Look Nicer Have Been Reviewing you Guys Criticism On Them, So Spare Me Of It!

Whoops, forgot the part about my opinion, I think the D90 will be a hell of a camera along with its capable sidekick the 18-105 VR I hail it as the best kit lens by far with decent optics. I also think that the D90 will enable you to get better low light pictures, landscape pictures which they are well known for if the other posts are correct and definitely their lenses! And furthermore, the D90 will definitely give you a better chance in finding jobs because Nikon have a far better reputation, but why not consider D300 if you want to get a job it might be easier with a D300 and don't bother about it being a semi-pro body, supernikkon, a CS member bought it and mastered almost half of the controls and says they are real user-friendly. Anyway back to the D90 it is supposed to have the same sensor as the D300 not sure if true but it will produce for you real good pictures capable of beefing up your portfolio. The D90 also has a very good kit lens along with it although no great deal of focal range but it is a hell of a good lens as all my other posts state. I love it! Still got a lot things to add but I think its enough for you to get the Nikon. Digest it and PM me if got any questions. Will be glad to help.

Hope This Helps!
Ken!

Last edited:
im an owner of a350, basically the camera is quite good, except that it doesnt have mirror lock up.. :-(
but do note that sony accessories and lenses are not cheap.. they sell cheap bodies, but later when you wanna buy more lenses or accs you will find how expensive owning sony cams actually is.. :sweatsm: *they even rebranded old minolta lenses and sell it more expensive than minolta was selling them.. but im not sure about the prices of nikon lenses..
anyway, im now thinking to jump ship..

Well, nowadays the sony accessories and lenses are actually comparable in price to C and N. :)

The D90 is a much newer camera based on the Sony A700 sensor. It's performance should be better than the A350. However, the main point of the A350 is the excellent Live View implementation with real-time autofocus and a titlable screen. Plus, you get to use autofocus Zeiss lenses. :)

If live view is not important to you at all, then the D90 is definitely a very attractive package; howeverm I suggest you look at the D300 and A700 as well.

Personally i will go for D90. Performance wise, it is very good, esp low noise which is a plus point. Also in terms of getting 2nd hand lenses, accessories, easier to get fairly good condition ones, hence saving on the pocket in that sense.

You can start with either one... the important thing is you have to familiar with your equipment / system.

If you select Nikon, you'll grow with Nikon system... If you choose Sony, you'll grow with Sony system...

It is your creativity that produce good photos, not the brand of the equipment.

My two cents...

Remember this:

You are not buying into a brand, but into a whole system. That said, if you buy sony, the build is good and they have a whole range of new as well as old Konica-Minolta lenses to choose from.

Nikon is also another full system to look at. But bear this in mind. Are you going to get the full range of lenses that are out there? look at what you want to take look at the lenses available in that system, decide for yourself by going down to the shops to feel it and see if you are comfortable with that cam you want.

My preference is for in-body anti-shake.

www.dpreview.com
www.dcresource.com

Last edited:
i've been thking abt this for very long alrd.. im a newbie, wanna start hobby and hope to find a job with it.. which one shd i get in ur honest opinion.

sony alpha a350. lowest price i was quoted. 1.4k. twin lense kin. 18-70 and 50-200.
wat attracts me the most is the lens package, high mp and tiltable lcd.

or

nikon d90. quoted 1.6k wit 18-105 lense. plus points tat i like is it gd low light capabilities, solid built and wide range of lense choices out thr in the market.

other than those specs i noted, thrs nthg much in depth i knopw abt these cams. read alot of reviews but nthg is much more worthy than opinions from the users out thr. reviews frm the net is either too neutral or too one sided (eg. like from shopowners tryinh to push a higher profit.

if i were to put it like a350 vs the d90, how wud u guys comment on it...

thx for anione who reads this. i relli have to make up my mind fast, or i wud end up buying one on impulse.. haha.. thx alot..

cheers..~

-kinn

Important question: What is your current budget for this new hobby? :bsmilie:

Important question: What is your current budget for this new hobby? :bsmilie:
Haha correcto! But if you have an infinite budget, then this question won't apply. Otherwise, your answer will lie in your budget.

Both are decent cameras. If you're going for the 'latest tech,' then you might want to pick up the D90. Do remember to compare the lens optic quality, it determines the quality of your photo. The good thing about a 18-105 is you get a bigger zoom range, less hassle of changing lenses.

he got infinite budget i guess. Eh bro, consider D3! No lah just kidding,

i use a200.. i think nikon is better because it has a lot of accessories since its a much older brand... lens wise of cos... i would think it this way.. a lot of pple buy and sell nikon lens.. so u shouldnt hv prob getting one easily... unlike sony... lately a lot of pple selling away their a700... dunno why.. the sony body change hands more than the lens... get the nikon lor...

if u ask me to choose again... hmm... i would still choose sony... more of a brand loyalty guy lah

Haha correcto! But if you have an infinite budget, then this question won't apply. Otherwise, your answer will lie in your budget.

Both are decent cameras. If you're going for the 'latest tech,' then you might want to pick up the D90. Do remember to compare the lens optic quality, it determines the quality of your photo. The good thing about a 18-105 is you get a bigger zoom range, less hassle of changing lenses.

Reason for asking his budget is because he claims he is new in this hobby. So need to bring to his attention the need to have some more cash for accessories - dry cabinet, tripod, camera bag, CF cards, remote release cable, flash etc. :bsmilie:

I use and trust Nikon camera system so I'll recommend Nikon for sure. Good things must recommend. Hence I recommend the D90 if his budget permits.:lovegrin:

he got infinite budget i guess. Eh bro, consider D3! No lah just kidding,

This forum is sibeh poisonous. :sweat:

i use a200.. i think nikon is better because it has a lot of accessories since its a much older brand... lens wise of cos... i would think it this way.. a lot of pple buy and sell nikon lens.. so u shouldnt hv prob getting one easily... unlike sony... lately a lot of pple selling away their a700... dunno why.. the sony body change hands more than the lens... get the nikon lor...

if u ask me to choose again... hmm... i would still choose sony... more of a brand loyalty guy lah

Eh bro, there's a TON of sony lenses... Remember,we can use minolta AF lenses too. ;)

and people are selling their A700 to fund the A900.

hi guys... thx for the overwhelming replie.first foremost i wud like to apologise for the late response as i'm busy wit my work. so,

my budget is 1bt 1.7 for now.

and ive decided to go wit nikon as after much research and scouting, i feel that nikon is much more suitable for me.

i like the feel and built of nikon cameras. except the d60 range and below. which is too small for my grip. it seems like i like to have my hands full of firm grip when i take pics.. i dunno if this i unusual or wat.

and when i tried to hold and get the feel of the a350, i feel its abit of a nuisance for me as the tiltable lcd screen seems to bulge out of the body. and when i take a look at the eyepiece, i alws find myself having to shift a little to the right as i can see only half of the sight thru the piece. out of ten attempts to look thru the eyepiece. 9 times i haf to shift my eye and cheek. it doesnt haf my natural feel. it'll get quite irritating if i will have to take fast snap shots. as a newbie, im nt sure if thrs a thg i can do or another piece of eyepiece i can use to remedy this prob.

so now, my choice comes to these two. bear wit me if i'm too fickle. i jus dun wanna get sumthin in a rush without doing much research and homework and end up hating my choice of cam. mind u, this is not a cheap hobby. i jus want sumthing worth of my hard work and sweat.

so the choice is:

new nikon d90 kit

or

2nd hand d200. ( i like the feel of it. gives me a really full grip feeling.i dun mind it being a bit bulky)

and for the dry cab, i can source tat one out. or i can share wit my bro. for flashes, i thk for now, i'll jus try wit the stock one. personally i like to shoot photos wit its natural lighting. i relli love to shoot cars and relli fast objects and also macro shots. thats wat i like personally. but i cant guarantee it'll be jus tat for now. who knows once i get my cam, i'll love to shoot all kinds of thgs and try all sorts of styles.. haha. none of us can get enuff of wat we relli love to do rite? :)

so fellow csers.. wats ur view if i were to get the d200? is it obsolete cos of its old age? is the d90 more advanced? which cam got the upper hand here.. pls enlighten me fellow csers. i'm relli new and i wud love to be like u guys who know so much abt digital photography. a newbie has to start somewhere right?? :)

all comments will be accepted with an open mind. i'm the green horn here who needs much guidance.

thx for reading this..:)

`cheers...

-kin

It depends on your requirements. D90 has a recording feature which is nice to have. I just bought the D90 & I'm loving every bit of it!

It depends on your requirements. D90 has a recording feature which is nice to have. I just bought the D90 & I'm loving every bit of it!

TOally agree ... Ive been playing around with a D300. Before I finally bought a D90 .. Of course D90 is cheaper but seriously .. For the price of a D90 compare to a D200 or 300 .. i still thinks D90 ROCKS!!..

I'll vote for D90!
IMO, D90 class is slightly above A350.
The system should be able to focus faster than A350 & the build is much more sturdy.
Comes with bonus HD Movie recording function.

If you really buy the A350 dual kit, I doubt you will use the longer zoom lens often.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.