WTA How a macro lens work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberkid

Apr 2, 2005
Hi, juz drop by to ask wht is the different of a macro and a non-macro lens (fix focal length)..
I m confused coz i saw a fix 200mm lens r also macro which i supposed is a tele..
Pls help, thx~

Macro lenses have much shorter minimum (i.e. closest) focus distance and hence can shoot very close to the subject and have higher magnification (such as 1:1) of the subject as appeared in the frame. Also Macro lenses are designed to have less aberrations (distortion) when shooting at very short distance from the subject.

Tele lenses, with higher minimum focus distance, can't focus if you're shooting very close to the subject.

Sorry, can further explain wht is the 200 mm?
Is the focal LENGTH differ from the focal DISTANCE?

cyberkid said:
Hi, juz drop by to ask wht is the different of a macro and a non-macro lens (fix focal length)..
I m confused coz i saw a fix 200mm lens r also macro which i supposed is a tele..
Pls help, thx~

I can answer yr qn in 2 words - floating elements.

Won't feed u all the answers, but I've answered yr qn, believe it or not.;)

cyberkid said:

focusing distance is the distant to your subject, e.g. infinity, whereas focal length is a physical property of the optical system of the lens. you can google or checkout wikipedia for everything you ever wanted to know about focal length and optical systems! 200mm refers to the focal length of the lens.

cyberkid said:

200mm refers to the focal length.

Loosely, focal length = lens to camera sensor
Focal distance = lens to subject.

Despite being different in principle, magnification and focal length are the similar because they serve to englarge the picture right?

200mm focal length can shoot short distance subject.. amazing right?:sweat:

cyberkid said:
200mm focal length can shoot short distance subject.. amazing right?:sweat:

what's so amazing? :think: are you confusing focal length and focusing distance?

besides, "short" distance is not an absolute term. for a macro lens, "short" is simply shorter than normal lens, but is still longer than the focal length (not that it means anything). e.g. the Canon EF 100mm Macro has a minimum focusing distance of 310mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.