Writing on the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapere

Nov 20, 2009
url]

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
-> All areas, lighting, composition, colour, PP

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-> wanted to give a sense of how amazing the temple ruins were with the elaborate carvings

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-> narrow doorway, not possible to step back

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-> not too sure about the colour adjustments. increased the contrast, was wondering about changing it to B&W

To the TS: don't need to have command inside the [img] command [img]http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/Edfu.jpg[/img]

not a very visually interesting picture.

the straight-on approach doesn't work here, and the bg on the right and left are quite out of place.

ur exposure and colour reproduction seems fine. composition needs work.

Hello :)

I looked and the picture before reading what you intended to achieve with it, and I actually barely noticed the carvings. I was first drawn to the triangular sections on the right and left of the picture, perhaps because they are darker?

Also, even though the carvings in the foreground are quite clear to see, the lines on the wall itself are leading the eye away from them. If only you could've stepped back, I think this would've been a good picture.

I'd personally try the b/w conversion and up the contrast. See if that'd do anything to accentuate the carvings.

Hmm agree with nysheng, the background/triangle areas really draw the eye away from the carvings, esp with the leading lines.

Perhaps you could have stepped forward and done the same shot, but filled the whole frame with carvings. i.e. have one really large carving central in the image, fully in focus, the leading lines of OOF carvings leading to the top of the frame.

This is a tough image to properly critique due to the very nature of the subject. There is NO effective way of capturing the whole length of the Heiroglyphs in focus without the use of a Shift and Tilt lens and a medium format technical camera with a lot of time required to set up the shot (been there done it). Unless you possess an ultrawide angle lens going in close at the bottom and tilting the camera to achieve full frame coverage at the base will render the upper Heiroglyphics unintelligible without the use of an external flash and a very small aperture to gain maximum DOF. Exposure is fine, so are the colours. It really is a damned if you do and damned if you don't shot. With that said the shot doesn't work well except as a "recording" of material type of shot.

tough shot to capture well. the keystone effect accentuates the height and grandeur of the heiroglyphic column, but the distracting elements such as the wire netting on the right detracts from the photo. suggest increasing the contrast so that the background clutter is minimized.
original.jpg

Thanks all for the comments and the re-edited shot. Will think about it!

i would not shoot from this angle, at least not with a wide lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.