Wow! You have a good camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poon

Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
I know there are a couple of jokes out there with "Wow! great photos, you must have a good camera." :bigeyes:
But i recently got that comment from someone. :sweat:
Was just wondering if anyone else encountered it before, and how you felt. :dunno:

Dunno should feel angry or honored? :confused:

Poon said:
I know there are a couple of jokes out there with "Wow! great photos, you must have a good camera." :bigeyes:
Was just wondering if anyone else encountered it before, and how you felt. :dunno:

These reminded me about my former boss who never say u r good...he will only say u r not bad. :confused:

I say feel happy, because the person only see the surface but you can see deeper.

tell the person "Maybe you can get one too" :bsmilie:

Poon said:

i hate to say this, but the camera and lens choice does play a part. For example, taking a head shot with a 85 prime at f2.5 has a vastly different bokeh from using a 24-85 zoom at f5.6. In cases like these, the diff really is in the gear. As in a relatively newbie may get better pics than a more experienced photog with the better equipment.

Of course, you can argue that it was the photog who wisely chose the right lens for the right job, in which case, both statements are true - it is the credit of the photog, and it is also the capability of the gear.

In cases like these (ie Poon's example), just let the comments pass. The saying goes: 'lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4'; if you're good, eventually it will show, there's really no need to justify or explain anything. If you're only relying on superior equipment to get marginally better pics, well, it will show too.

as quoted somewhere:

good camera = good pics

so....

good stove = good food?

Yea, I get tat a lot... like... wow, what camera you have? must be a really good one... :sweat: :sweat: :sweat: duh...~~~

good camera != good pic...

thou,

good camera = good picture quality (technically)

ST1100 said:
i hate to say this, but the camera and lens choice does play a part. For example, taking a head shot with a 85 prime at f2.5 has a vastly different bokeh from using a 24-85 zoom at f5.6. In cases like these, the diff really is in the gear. As in a relatively newbie may get better pics than a more experienced photog with the better equipment.
QUOTE]

Who says a head shot must have a bokeh in the first place? The camera records the image, but you are the one that takes the picture. Given the right inspiration, a picture from a phone camera can be a winning piece compared to a mulit-thousand DSLR.

Poon said:

i've had this conversation b4...

me: "wow, great photos!"

fren: "thanks!"

me: "what camera did u use?"

fren: "a dummy olympus" (translation: oly mju p&s)

me: "i'm gonna get one too!"

;p

Prismatic said:
Who says a head shot must have a bokeh in the first place? The camera records the image, but you are the one that takes the picture. Given the right inspiration, a picture from a phone camera can be a winning piece compared to a mulit-thousand DSLR.

where can i buy this phone camera? *drool drool drool*

Poon said:

Take the compliement first.
Then I'll take the chance to educate the fella what a good photograph really is...or then again, does he know what's good about the picture in the first place to give such a comment?

Steven Spielberg makes good movies, yet no one says to him "wow, you must have very good cameras and computers!"

It's funny how people can praise the tool and ignore the creativity of the person using the tool.

somebody: "How many megapixels camera you using?"

me: "6"

somebody: "No wonder the background blurblur one, very pro leh"

me: "..."

:bsmilie:

Well, I would just take the compliment. The person might be trying to be nice to me and don't know much about photography. If he's interested then maybe i'll try to tell him more. If he's not, then no reason for a single liner to become an issue between us.

Cheers

Brandon said:
Well, I would just take the compliment. The person might be trying to be nice to me and don't know much about photography. If he's interested then maybe i'll try to tell him more. If he's not, then no reason for a single liner to become an issue between us.

Totally agree especially if that person doesn't know much about photography.

hmm..is there really a need to be offended?

A good picture is a good picture. a combination of good camera skills and good cameras. you can't deny that, and its worse if a person looks at the shot, and say " you are either having a bad day or the camera is really bad"

except that you are a semi pro using a pro camera.

just accept the compliment that it is indeed a good picture. whether the credit is to you or the camera...:)

humility mah.... :sweatsm:

sorry

i am aware that everybody else feels that
" wow!! a good camera gives good pics.. = yeah, DUH :rolleyes: "

but i really feel otherwise:

i.e. "a better camera really does gives u better pics".

thats the way i see and feel and experience and know it as part of learnig photography on my own.

thnx

^_^

hmm... i'm only using a consumer digicam.
no wonder no one says my photos are 'good'...

ST1100 said:

Of course, you can argue that it was the photog who wisely chose the right lens for the right job, in which case, both statements are true - it is the credit of the photog, and it is also the capability of the gear.

In cases like these (ie Poon's example), just let the comments pass. The saying goes: 'lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4'; if you're good, eventually it will show, there's really no need to justify or explain anything. If you're only relying on superior equipment to get marginally better pics, well, it will show too.

we all have to admit it equipment matters too, though photog skills probably matters more... if u give me a ferrari, i dare to bet to my last dollar i can leave michael schumacher using kancil perodua eating dust...

if u let schumacher drives a jordan, do u think he can still win races?

sathea said:
hmm... i'm only using a consumer digicam.
no wonder no one says my photos are 'good'...

I was using CP5700... also got ppl say my setup very "pro".

Now using 10D..same comments.

Best is that those ppl also like my pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.