Would you volunteer as a human "lab mice" for clinical research?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mich_2103

Jul 26, 2003
Visit site
Hi CSnappers,
Half a year ago, I signed up as a volunteer for clinical research at a relatively reputable clinical pharmacology centre approved by the government. I happened to know about their recruitment through newspaper advertisments. They told me I will be informed if they need more volunteers for any upcoming research.

In addition, I also signed up for another famous reputable clinical research centre. I am not going to mention its name but roughly 3 months ago, they put advertisments on several SBS buses looking for volunteers as well.

24 hours ago, I received emails from both research centres, stating that they are looking for volunteers. Volunteers will be reimburse for their time spent on research, and let me just say that the reimbursement fee is enough to cover a brand new film scanner, a decent Manfrotto tripod, probably a bulk roll of film, and probably one trip of cab fare to wherever you want to go after making all these purchases. ;p

The time spent on research is less than one month and for a full time student like me, naturally, I am quite tempted by the offer.

I asked my Mom about the idea and she's not quite happy about it. She said there are risks of possible side effects and effects that may surface after a long period of time. She has also commented that if I go for such research, I am no different from those people who sell their organs for money at other countries. :confused:

But then again, if these advertisements are allowed to be advertised on newspapers and on buses, there should be a certain standard of safety in their research, right? :dunno:

I dunno man. What do you guys think? :dunno:

Cheerios,
-Midge- :p

mich_2103 said:
Hi CSnappers,
Half a year ago, I signed up as a volunteer for clinical research at a relatively reputable clinical pharmacology centre approved by the government. I happened to know about their recruitment through newspaper advertisments. They told me I will be informed if they need more volunteers for any upcoming research.

In addition, I also signed up for another famous reputable clinical research centre. I am not going to mention its name but roughly 3 months ago, they put advertisments on several SBS buses looking for volunteers as well.

24 hours ago, I received emails from both research centres, stating that they are looking for volunteers. Volunteers will be reimburse for their time spent on research, and let me just say that the reimbursement fee is enough to cover a brand new film scanner, a decent Manfrotto tripod, probably a bulk roll of film, and probably one trip of cab fare to wherever you want to go after making all these purchases. ;p

The time spent on research is less than one month and for a full time student like me, and naturally, I am quite tempted by the offer.

I asked my Mom about the idea and she's not quite happy about it. She said there are risks of possible side effects and effects that may surface after a long period of time. She has also commented that if I go for such research, I am no different from those people who sell their organs for money at other countries. :confused:

But then again, if these advertisements are allowed to be advertised on newspapers and on buses, there should be a certain standard of safety in their research, right? :dunno:

I dunno man. What do you guys think? :dunno:

Cheerios,
-Midge- :p

your mom's right u know...

anyway, just read the contract, look for anything like insurance for side effects or any payment... cos we won't know what would be the likelihood of any side effects... not everyone can take panadol, and not everyone can give blood... same idea...

u might live to regret it if there is any complications...

we/human are all mercenary.....that's what i personally feel.

"Mercenary=wanting to do only things that mke you money"...fr oxford eng dictionary

But there might be a slight chance you might became the next Super Hero. Hulk or Batman or Superman.:bsmilie: As long as they don't turn you into 'the fly' or some alien can liao.:sweat:

Unless they are paying like tonnes of money if not i think it is better to stick with your mom advice. It hurt her if you insist on your way, after all your flesh come from her, if you are hurt, she will feel a greater pain.:rolleyes:

soma said:
But there might be a slight chance you might became the next Super Hero. Hulk or Batman or Superman.:bsmilie: As long as they don't turn you into 'the fly' or some alien can liao.:sweat:

Unless they are paying like tonnes of money if not i think it is better to stick with your mom advice. It hurt her if you insist on your way, after all your flesh come from her, if you are hurt, she will feel a greater pain.:rolleyes:

hmm she might just be the female samurai from Sin City! :bsmilie:

anyway, wonderwoman also not bad lah... as long dun become hermaphrodite can liao..

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hmm she might just be the female samurai from Sin City! :bsmilie:

anyway, wonderwoman also not bad lah... as long dun become hermaphrodite can liao..

You mean mich_2103 is a she not he.. wah lau this few day alway mix up.:sweat:

soma said:
You mean mich_2103 is a she not he.. wah lau this few day alway mix up.:sweat:

aiya, Clarinet aka Maria, is out to cheat u lor... i also nearly kena bluff...

mich i think her name is Michelle, most likely a girl lah... think also should be quite nice looking 1, cos most Michelle i know are chio bus... :think:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
aiya, Clarinet aka Maria, is out to cheat u lor... i also nearly kena bluff...

mich i think her name is Michelle, most likely a girl lah... think also should be quite nice looking 1, cos most Michelle i know are chio bus... :think:

Agree.. Most Michelle i knew also quite standard type(pretty), why huh? :think:

Does your 'chio bus.....' mean the cup size? or the Face?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
both... but i dunno they got wear push up anot lah...

Push up bra= Created to cheat man..:sticktong

all clinical trails before it is approve needs to have their preclinical trials data be submitted, inorder to apply for IND (investigational new drug)
these companies have to follow The Nuremberg Code which states that
1. study participants must give their voluntary consent
2.There must be no reasonable alternative to conducting the experiment
3.the anticipated results must have basis in biological knowledge and animal experimentation
4.the prodcedures should avoid unncessary suffering and unjury
5.there is no expectation for death or disability as a result of the trails
6.the degree of risk for patients is consistent with the humanitarian importance of the study
7. the subjects are protected against even a remote possibility of death or injury
8.the study is conducted by a qualified scientist
9. the subject can can participation at will anytime.
10 the investigation has an obligation to terminate the experiment if injury seems likely.

it may seems that you MAY have long term injury, but not to forget that there are rats in the labs that are already taking the medicine and the dose have already been optimise for humans already. Chronic safety testing in animals is usually done concurrently with clinical trails.

and do note that it is not the company that 'invented' the drugs that conducts the trails. an investigator appointed by the company will do the trails. he investigator will only report on the findings and he is controlled by the hospital ethics committee. he will also have to follow the protocol and the case report form.

i studied about drug development before. and there are many more regulations that the pharmaceutical compaines have to follow. i can say that it is one of the strictest industry. on a whole i say that u won't die from a research. else the drug companies will also have problem

I know about your situations and from a company which i should know well.
no worry. :D

Sigh.... If I have the annual leave, plus if its flexible enuff... I MIGHT just go for it. Got money take, why not? :D

After all, its good money. If there's kan taos next year, call me! hahahaha.... :bsmilie:

Hmmm i am sorta in the field lah
but i would suspect that if they pay so well might involve invasive studies?
maybe have to take xrays or that sort..
I would personally ask the type of risks involved and the type of procedures done and experimental drugs if any.
if you have any thing you not sure can pm me i try to answer ur qn but i not doctor la so dunno everything..
I went for a MRI thingy before and its interesting actually..
to see how the brainwaves are when learning new words or sth.. supposed to get a free image of my brainscan but the guy never email me ;p but i got $80 for 1 hr of work.. and it was jus lying there..
heh only strong magnetic field no xray so i took it lor..
xrays increase risk to cancer mah..

i think you should contribute to the world's technological and medical advancement by being the sacrifice lamb.

all big name sare here in SG for sthg.

we all should give 'em a hand or maybe two legs.....:eek:

you see without such 'lamb' the scientists will not know if a certain medicine works. so
it takes another 20-30 years to get to stage 3 ( FDA standard).

anyway if the compensation is a nikon f200 plus a love boat ride to the carribean-why not.

but unfortunately its th esicentists that are enjoying those benefits. :thumbsup:

ProfdrJUng "the lamb lamb scientist."

i think you should contribute to the world's technological and medical advancement by being the sacrifice lamb.

all big name sare here in SG for sthg.

we all should give 'em a hand or maybe two legs.....:eek:

you see without such 'lamb' the scientists will not know if a certain medicine works. so
it takes another 20-30 years to get to stage 3 ( FDA standard).

anyway if the compensation is a nikon f200 plus a love boat ride to the carribean-why not.

but unfortunately its th e sicentists who are enjoying those benefits. :thumbsup:

ProfdrJUng "the lamb lamb scientist."

My uncle do that ..
The $ was very good ..

Stay in hospital for 3days
Come back once a week for check up for 3 weeks

$2000 .. easy $ ..

There's a saying in Chinese "我不入地狱,谁入地狱?" (Literally, "If I don't goto hell, who else would goto hell").

Den again, since its a princely sum of money and most pharmaceutical companies have big budget. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.