Would you upgrade to a FlickR "pro" account?

GSiGuy

Sep 14, 2010
I've almost uploaded 200 photos into my flickr account and now they tell me that once i hit 200 photos, only the latest 200 will be available to be seen, unless i upgrade to a FlickR "pro" account. Of course this will cost about USD24 per year.

I am wondering are there any advantages of maintaining a "pro" flickr account? How many of you do it and what were your reasons for doing so?

I suppose the flickr community is very large and there is some satisfaction in sharing all your photos but how many of you would actually pay for that satisfaction?

Thanks in advance for your views!

i think it's worth. i originally paid for 1 year upgrade but just expired this year... so extended by another 2 years. there is no filesize limit for uploading n u can upload/archive these files as much as u want.

but you may want to have another look at 500px.com which seems not too bad as well.

i think it's worth. i originally paid for 1 year upgrade but just expired this year... so extended by another 2 years. there is no filesize limit for uploading n u can upload/archive these files as much as u want.

but you may want to have another look at 500px.com which seems not too bad as well.

what he said.

well i will upgrade if my free 1 is fulll ^^

I've almost uploaded 200 photos into my flickr account and now they tell me that once i hit 200 photos, only the latest 200 will be available to be seen, unless i upgrade to a FlickR "pro" account. Of course this will cost about USD24 per year.

I am wondering are there any advantages of maintaining a "pro" flickr account? How many of you do it and what were your reasons for doing so?

I suppose the flickr community is very large and there is some satisfaction in sharing all your photos but how many of you would actually pay for that satisfaction?

Thanks in advance for your views!

other than those mentioned, another thing you get is feedback on how your photos are doing.
I was hesitating like you till I look at it this way, it is USD2 a month. That is about drink 2 can of coke less a month. :)

other than those mentioned, another thing you get is feedback on how your photos are doing.
I was hesitating like you till I look at it this way, it is USD2 a month. That is about drink 2 can of coke less a month. :)

so need to upgrade then people can comment?

it don't seem to have a max limit of how many max photos you can upload -.-

No there is no limit on how many you can upload but if you don't have a "pro" account, they will only show the most recent 300 pictures

Without a "pro" paid account, there is a limit of 300MB worth of photos you can upload in a month...

I suppose that makes sense :)

People can comment even if you don't upgrade but lets say for example you added some pictures to a group. If those pictures fall out of the "recent 200" i suppose they "disappear" from that group and people can't see them anymore. Can't see, then can't comment. Correct me if i am wrong, senior flickr users...

Not a promoter of flickr (neither am I affiliated with them)

Quoted:
Compare that to what you get with a Free Account:

300 MB monthly photo upload limit (15MB per photo)
2 video uploads each month (90 seconds max, 150MB per video)
Photostream views limited to the 200 most recent images
Post any of your photos in up to 10 group pools
Only smaller (resized) images accessible (though the originals are saved in case you upgrade later)
Source: http://www.flickr.com/help/limits/#65

So from my interpretation, other than 300mb per month, you can literally have >3gb of pics there, only the most recent 200 can be seen in your photostream while the rest are hidden somewhere till you upgrade to pro..

not that kind of feedback. It is the statistic of your photos. eg. the view count and source of it.

oh!! okok! then i will upgrade once i reach 200 pics -))

People can comment even if you don't upgrade but lets say for example you added some pictures to a group. If those pictures fall out of the "recent 200" i suppose they "disappear" from that group and people can't see them anymore. Can't see, then can't comment. Correct me if i am wrong, senior flickr users...

So from my interpretation, other than 300mb per month, you can literally have >3gb of pics there, only the most recent 200 can be seen in your photostream while the rest are hidden somewhere till you upgrade to pro..

Your photos are still stored in their server when you have more than 200 photos. Not sure about "search" still possible or still appear in group but if you already have a direct link to the image itself, it is still possible to see.

If i rmb correctly, "pro" users are able to download the original resolution of the photos upload. But "free" only can download large size.
Not sure whether this rule still applies.

flickr
-Unlimited uploads and storage
-Unlimited sets and collections
-Access to your original files
-Stats on your account
-Ad-free browsing and sharing
-HD playback for high-definition video uploads
-US $24.95/year
http://www.flickr.com/upgrade/

picasa
- 20 GB
- Shared across Gmail, Google Docs, and Picasa Web
- Maximum photo size: Each image can be no larger than 20 megabytes and are restricted to 50 megapixels or less.
- Maximum video size: Each video uploaded can be no larger than 1GB in size.
- Maximum number of web albums: 10,000
- Maximum number of photos and videos per web album: 1,000
- US $5/year
http://picasa.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=39567

I choose picasa since I don't need unlimited storage at the moment, 'I pay what I need' suits me better :)

flickr
-Stats on your account
-US $24.95/year

picasa
- 20 GB
- Maximum photo size: Each image can be no larger than 20 megabytes and are restricted to 50 megapixels or less.
- US $5/year

I choose picasa since I don't need unlimited storage at the moment, 'I pay what I need' suits me better :)

Oh thanks for the information...

flickr
-Stats on your account
-US $24.95/year

picasa
- 20 GB
- US $5/year

Hmmm... lemme play around with Picasa & see if it suits me. Thanks, Oceanpriest for suggesting an alternative.

Depends if you find the following useful :
1. Unlimited file size (ie. so you can share larger than 1024x768 sized photos; show actual detail on 100% view, etc)
2. You get statistics for your photos and flickr site (if you need that info) -It does not mean you get feedback on the photos (that needs good photos; 'lobbying' work; friends; fans; kakis, etc)
3. You get access to all your photos. (If you remember them all to actually look over them again ;) ). If you know where you have linked the photo before (ie. in a CS thread) or have actually kept a text file of the link, then you can still access the files beyond 200 photos.

In the end, I personally don't need all the above, so I stick to the free account.

anyway... 500px.com looks very promising! haha too bad i already extended my flickr pro account for 2 years.