Would you travel in cabs as often as in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlim

Feb 26, 2004
My parents boarded a cab from Chinatown to our home which is situated in Yew Tee area just now. Total charges is $34.05! :eek:They were surprised at the amount they had to pay.

From the receipt:

TRANS-CAB

To: 04/05/09 19:07
KM Run: 24.0
Fare: 23.00

City-Surcharge: $3.00
Peak hrs 35%: $8.05

Total $34.05

The cab took almost 1 hour to arrive at the destiny as there was a minor jam somewhere. I can accept that the fare will be slightly higher than normal, but if the original travel fare is slapped with another 35% which is $8.05, this brings it to an amount I find quite unacceptable.

OK, some may argue that it is the peak hour charge, but I am thinking "didn't the gov liberalised more taxi companies to enter the market, so that there is competition and consequently prices will come down?"

Nowadays, you will find many cabs wating along the road outside many shopping malls and causing a lot of inconveniences to the public buses entering and leaving the bus stops. Is this a sign of people choosing to travel less in cabs? If it really is, does it make sense to retain all these surcharges?

The taxi culture here is really weird. I had witnessed some people did not want to take certain cabs yesterday night at about 8.30pm++ at a taxi stand outside Westmall, so all these surcharges do play a role in people's behaviour afterall. :dunno:

I wonder if anyone can memorise all the different surcharges of various taxi companies and at what time to take a cab so that they will not be penalised by our rather "thoughtful" service providers.:think:

Have a nice day when traveling in cabs.

Last edited:
You failed to mentioned that for every 30 Seconds of waiting time, you pay an additional S$0.20 /S$0.30. How come no ERP charge? You also failed to mention what type of taxi you took? You got pay by credit card?

The government liberalised more taxi companies to enter the market, so that there is competition and to provide different services to different markets. The government did not say that prices will come down.

Of course, if you want comfort, branding and prestige, you pay more. Starting fare is S$2.80 up to S$5 for a chrysler taxi. This is why some people could have chosen to take certain taxis at westmall.

Majority of a taxi driver earnings are during peak hours. The 35% peak hour surcharge was implemented to give passengers a fairer system of charging. How much you pay depends how much time you spend in the taxi. This is a better way compared to paying a flat rate as in the past. If there are no surcharges, you would find fewer taxis on the road.

The surcharges of the various taxi companies are available on their websites. According to LTA regulations, all charges are to be announced in the media two weeks before they are implemented. There is also a fare detail sheet in each taxi.

If you did not agree with the taxi charges, you should not have board the taxi or clarified with the taxi driver before the taxi moved off. However, since you took the taxi to your destination, this implies that you agreed to the taxi charges and thus should not be complaining here.

NO one forced you to take a taxi. It is your own responsibility of finding out the surcharges.

The taxi charges in singapore are actually quite reasonable compared to taking a taxi in other countries such as london and the EU where taxi charges are more higher as compared to singapore.

Overall, if you are not happy with the taxi services/surcharges in singapore, perhaps you should just buy your own car, I'm sure you be more happier that way, and you should look forward to paying COE, Road Tax, parking charges,GST, insurance etc etc:devil:

Last edited:
Honestly, nothing is fare. The former adjustment was in line with the steep diesel prices. But given there are more taxis on the road, competition will wipe out the weaker ones.

In the past, cabbies drove 5 to 6 days a week and took lotsa breaks in between. Now, they just only know how to charge and charge forward.

On the one hand, the regulation of pushing up prices hurt consumers' pocket, on the other, we have to realise their higher expenditures. With longer workday/7 days a week, they have more health problems than cabbies of yesteryears. On top of that, they have to pay high rent and pay many other home bills.

Picture this:
With higher cost of living, higher rental, higher medical bills and excessive competition, the cabbies may not be making extraordinary profits. There arent many Yew-tee to pasir ris trips. If they are lucky they get a few a day... but if unlucky, they earn enough to cover immediate expenses with nothing to spare for that day.

However, the cab rental companies, especially the big boys are laughing their way to the banks.

However, the cab rental companies, especially the big boys are laughing their way to the banks.

This is true except for SMRT taxis which had 5 years of record losses before making profits in 2008

the taxi competition in singapore is a joke. its more like a price fixing cartel oni. more companies so better service? laugh out loud. lower pricing? must be dreaming. sigh...but still need to use cab once in a while...just the freq is getting wayyyy lesser.

Overall, if you are not happy with the taxi services/surcharges in singapore, perhaps you should just buy your own car, I'm sure you be more happier that way, and you should look forward to paying COE, Road Tax, parking charges,GST, insurance etc etc:devil:

Or you can take a bus/mrt. It help the environment and it's a lot cheaper. Sure the journey's longer, but you can pick up a book and read. :D

since when was taking a cab a birthright?

taking a cab is a luxury for me.... i never thought it was supposed to be like some alternative form of public transport

and the same applies everywhere, all over the world

Nowadays, I don't drive frequently except Sunday market otherwise can take a bus/mrt.

Actually, Chinatown to YewTee is accessible by MRT. Take a cab between stations, if necessary (ie. carrying heavy items, etc)

Though I understand your gripe over the costs and issue, its useless to complain and still use the offending service. Best way to complain is with our wallets (the taxi companies know no other feedback :devil:).

Best way is not to take cabs.

AVOID it if you can UNLESS you are REALLY desparate or carrying heavy items.

Seriously speaking, once you see a slow down on public taking cabs (it has not happen yet especially during peak hours and rainy days) the drivers is going to feel the pinch.

Although it's painful at times taking buses or MRTs or both, the amount of money save is a lot during recession like this. I have a friend who takes cabs from Tampines at 7.30am in the morning to go Redhill everyday. Cab fare was around $30...plus per trip and took cab back from Red Hill again from 6pm to Tampines which is another $30 plus. She spend around $1000 a month (half of her monthly salary).

Her excuses were plentiful

1)She wants to sleep 30mins more
2)She does not want to look unglam when she comes to office
3)She hates the sun
4)She hates the rain
5)She hates to walk
6)She does not want to be late to work
7)She does not have a driving liciense (failed 9 times on advance theory test)
8)She told us she does not spend on branded goods which means she saves on that to spend on cab fare.....(hahaha.....nearly wanted to laugh at this when she explain to us)
9)She hates being touch when she goes on the MRT or Bus and she hates the smell of old buses....:bsmilie:

The best part is she is not the only one who parts her salary to Singapore cabbies but a few more colleagues does that too every morning....

I only take cabs when i'm carrying heavy/bulky items that would hinder my movements on trains and buses. Or when i'm late for some important event. Other than that cabbing is a luxury for me.

Seriously speaking, once you see a slow down on public taking cabs (it has not happen yet especially during peak hours and rainy days) the drivers is going to feel the pinch.

Although it's painful at times taking buses or MRTs or both, the amount of money save is a lot during recession like this. I have a friend who takes cabs from Tampines at 7.30am in the morning to go Redhill everyday. Cab fare was around $30...plus per trip and took cab back from Red Hill again from 6pm to Tampines which is another $30 plus. She spend around $1000 a month (half of her monthly salary).

3)She hates the sun
4)She hates the rain
5)She hates to walk
8)She told us she does not spend on branded goods which means she saves on that to spend on cab fare.....(hahaha.....nearly wanted to laugh at this when she explain to us)
9)She hates being touch when she goes on the MRT or Bus and she hates the smell of old buses....:bsmilie:

The best part is she is not the only one who parts her salary to Singapore cabbies but a few more colleagues does that too every morning....

looks like having a bf who drives is also on her list...:bsmilie:
plenty of reasons to avoid this type of girl...

looks like having a bf who drives is also on her list...:bsmilie:
plenty of reasons to avoid this type of girl...
Yeap, i guess. Haha. I've not sat in a cab for so long. Haha. Though, i complain at times taking the bus/train, it's still the most easiest transport to use. You get to see the surroundings rather, than just travel in a empty shell by yourself.

There's so many emotions running when you take a public transport.

You get angry, when people blast music.
You get irritated over selfish ignorant people on the train.

You get to see small children, who just keep smiling despite everything.
You get to see pretty ladies. That makes you happy. Eye candy.

If you give up your seat for someone, that makes you feel good for the whole day.

So many emotions. We all do complain about it, but when a time comes, that you don't take public transport anymore, you'll miss it. So why not enjoy it for the time being.

GMAN

You failed to mentioned that for every 30 Seconds of waiting time, you pay an additional S$0.20 /S$0.30. How come no ERP charge? You also failed to mention what type of taxi you took? You got pay by credit card?

Majority of a taxi driver earnings are during peak hours. The 35% peak hour surcharge was implemented to give passengers a fairer system of charging. How much you pay depends how much time you spend in the taxi. This is a better way compared to paying a flat rate as in the past. If there are no surcharges, you would find fewer taxis on the road.

If you did not agree with the taxi charges, you should not have board the taxi or clarified with the taxi driver before the taxi moved off. However, since you took the taxi to your destination, this implies that you agreed to the taxi charges and thus should not be complaining here.

NO one forced you to take a taxi. It is your own responsibility of finding out the surcharges.

The taxi charges in singapore are actually quite reasonable compared to taking a taxi in other countries such as london and the EU where taxi charges are more higher as compared to singapore.

You didn't read carefully my post, it is stated 'transcab', and Erp is $3.oo. Payment was by cash.

No, I didn't took the taxi that day, my parent did. I don't expect them to memorise and differentiate what type of taxi to take and also what time not to take. My father suffered from a stroke, so asking him to travel a long distance by foot to the mrt is not an option.

Anyway, the title of this forum is stated clearly, " Would you take a cab as often as in the past". It is not a forum for me to solely air my unhappiness here or rather as you stated "complain"(I sure that has been discussed in the past, I don't want to repeat that), but just to get some feedbacks from others who may have changed their traveling habit in Singapore due to the changes.

Some people have stated their views that they will not take cab if it is not necassary, and that it is a luxury nowadays, I fully agree with them. Unless I have to carry something heavy and big, I will not board a taxi at all.

And certainly, I have not said anybody forced me to take a taxi. Also, not agreeing to the surcharge doesn't mean that you can't take the taxi once in a while. There is no black & white issue here.

And I don't need your advice as to whether I need to buy a car or not. :devil:

too me no diff....

I took cab to work almost everyday:cry:

For a start, i would try to curb it...but as time goes by...I go heck it lah...just makan less lor

since when was taking a cab a birthright?

taking a cab is a luxury for me.... i never thought it was supposed to be like some alternative form of public transport

and the same applies everywhere, all over the world

NO, there is no birthright here. You pay for it, it is not free.

There is also no birthright to say that you can't talk about it.

NO, there is no birthright here. You pay for it, it is not free.

There is also no birthright to say that you can't talk about it.

well, there is nothing wrong about me talking about you talking about it either, no? :)

i never said you couldn't talk about it, i just expressed my viewpoint about the fact that people were too used to cabbing in singapore. it shouldn't be the case, really. it isn't the case elsewhere, in fact, at least for equivalent or higher economics standards

3)She hates the sun
4)She hates the rain
5)She hates to walk

its her $$$ and still cheaper than owning a car...
same as a case of someone scrimping every cents and blow the $1k on a camera lens...
she spend the $$$ on cab fare while other spend the $$$ on camera stuffs.

You didn't read carefully my post, it is stated 'transcab', and Erp is $3.oo. Payment was by cash.

I read your post very carefully. Transcab operates at least 3 different type of taxis, from toyota crown to mercedes. You did not state any ERP charge in your initial post.:nono:

Status
Not open for further replies.