Would you support/buy a product just bcoz it is "made/developed in Singapore"?

Limsgp

Dec 16, 2005
Singapore, Bedok
Any comments?

Saw this comment, last 2 paragraph.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6575147&postcount=55

What I felt was, the manufacturer wouldn't care a damn if the consumer is local or not (like making it cheaper in Sg etc..), so why should locals give preference treatment to local manufacturer and support them juz bcoz it is SG company?

depends on whether our product is better . . . but i will still give support if it is on par . . . :)

Manufacturer will only think of making $$. Who cares about local consumers or not . . .

EG. Milk powder in XXXX country etc.

Last edited:
I don't really care where it is made from. I buy products according to reviews. If there is no review, then I buy according to price.

I'm sure the guy posted is from Trek. Registered Oct 2010, 1st post start saying how good the flu card is.

I would love to support local products if they are as good or even better.

Unfortunately, I believe the flu-card is still a loooooooooong way from Eye-Fi given the little information I've gathered from the other thread.

not just because

because it is good and made in Sing

because in Sing we make the things that we can - properly. Unlike PRC melamine milk powder

those that we cannot, we import from countries that can make them better

many food products are made in Sing

U must have eaten a lot of such without knowing they were made in Sing

we are not very high tech despite the claims of first world country

for example we cannot make our own car or fridge or washing machine or jet fighter or aircraft carrier

we cannot send a rocket into space

Yes I will becos no choice, hdb.....

AKIRA leh? Also made in SG right? so lousy. lol

Top priority is base on requirement, second priority brand name/price and last priority is 'Made In ???'. In fact many brand products are now MIC, if there is any MIS product and price is competitive or reasonable, will still consider.

i do not support local brands. usually they are not of good quality. think of which nationality is doing the QC check and you will understand my point. Just my opinion. No need for you to agree or disagree.

If the quality is good and the price is reasonable, then I will support the product :D

The quality of the product depend on the company and not the country of origin :D
Some companies keep talking about quality in public but secretly retrench QC staffs to save cost and think QA is non-value added operation :(

I use to work in such a MNC company :(

I would buy a Made-in-Singapore product if features and perceived value are equal to those made in developed country, even at a slightly higher price. We must support our local entrepreneurs to stay abreast if not ahead of the global competition for the sake of our next generation and beyond.

I know there are some products that Japanese prefer to be made in Singapore than else where. Basically, the Japanese feedback that they prefer that as they trust the quality made rather than elsewhere due to our skilled workers.

My frd refuse to buy products from China so she is having a hard time now. :bsmilie:

There are people who are particular about this, it just our choice whether we support and accept.

I don't mind buying a made-in-singapore product as long as it is of good quality and has good safety standards

I am made in Singapore but no support from the Government, still have to go through NS and pay taxes.

I know there are some products that Japanese prefer to be made in Singapore than else where. Basically, the Japanese feedback that they prefer that as they trust the quality made rather than elsewhere due to our skilled workers.

My frd refuse to buy products from China so she is having a hard time now. :bsmilie:

There are people who are particular about this, it just our choice whether we support and accept.

Me too, if same product from different countries, priority given first to either Singapore or Taiwan, no choice then China. Knew too much about the Chinese attitude towards quality.

I don't mind buying a made-in-singapore product as long as it is of good quality and has good safety standards

i guess for me it's a plus if, on top of being of good quality, it's made in singapore

:thumbsup: maestro guitars

When I was in Japan the tour guide told us that certain products sold in the same shop have a made in Japan version and a made in China version. These are things like ornamental paper weight where you don't think anything can go wrong. Surprisingly the Japanese are willing to pay 3 times the price to buy the made in Japan version. Somehow I don't think this would happen in Singapore.

Any comments?

Saw this comment, last 2 paragraph.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6575147&postcount=55

What I felt was, the manufacturer wouldn't care a damn if the consumer is local or not (like making it cheaper in Sg etc..), so why should locals give preference treatment to local manufacturer and support them juz bcoz it is SG company?

it depends.

if all other things equal, i might consider going for the singapore product to support.

if the singapore product is superior, then obviously go for singapore product. if the singapore product is inferior, and upon analysing cost vs benefit, it is not worth it to go for singapore product, then it has to be addressed in a rational, practical way right?

doesn't make sense to just support a company for the pure purpose that it is local. market forces will prevail in the long run, with the weak/inferior companies being phased out, and the strong/superior companies surviving, and making good profits. it is after all, a survival of the fittest, and this should be viewed as a marathon. even a starting boost of say 200m in a 42 km marathon will not matter much, if the runner cannot run.