Would You Say The Pledge

Would You Say The Pledge?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja23XX

Jan 24, 2009
In The Shadows
I'm sure we have been seeing all the advertisements, receiving smses on telling us to say the National Pledge at 8.22pm on August 9th. Would you stop what you are doing and say the pledge? Or would you just ignore it?

If you didn't know, 8.22pm was the time when we were official seperated from Malaysia and the infamous speech was made by our then Prime Minister.

GMAN

readying my camera for fireworks ;)

no, will be up on the stage helping out :bsmilie:

If I'm driving I don't think I should get out of the car and say the pledge with my fist over my heart...

I wouldn't stop wad i'm doing to say the pledge. Probably just say it silently. The act of saying doesn't matter imo.

I wouldn't stop wad i'm doing to say the pledge. Probably just say it silently. The act of saying doesn't matter imo.
Imagine you and your girl on bed, then 8.22pm....ok nevermind, shall not continue the details...Hehehe:bsmilie:

GMAN

no I wouldn't, namely coz I'm two hours ahead of everything, and also because...

I don't care and even if I did care, I can't be bothered.

Actually it's a no, if i was busy doing something. Imo, I don't need to wayang to show my love for my country, unless i was really idle and the pledge was played within earshot. :lovegrin:

True colours can only be seen under adversity, then we can see who runs, and who stays and fight. :thumbsup:

sure, why not?

We the citizens of kopitiam
Pledge ourselves as one united clubsnap
Regardless of age, sex or camera
To build a passionate community
Based on money and publicity
So as to achieve sharpness
wowness and bokeh for our photos.

National Pledge:

ENGLISH

We, the citizens of Singapore
pledge ourselves as one united people,
regardless of race, language or religion,
to build a democratic society,
based on justice and equality,
so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and
progress for our nation.

MALAY

Kami, warganegara Singapura,
sebagai rakyat yang bersatu padu,
tidak kira apa bangsa, bahasa, atau ugama,
berikrar untuk membina suatu masyarakat yang demokratik,
berdasarkan kepada keadilan dan persamaan
untuk mencapai kebahagiaan,
kemakmuran dan kemajuan bagi negara kami.

CHINESE

我们是新加坡公民,
誓愿不分种族、言语、宗教,
团结一致,
建设公正平等
的民主社会,
并为实现国家之幸福、繁荣与进步,
共同努力。

TAMIL

சிங்கப்பூர் குடிமக்களாகிய நாம் இனம்,மொழி,மதம்
ஆகிய வேற்றுமைகளை மறந்து ஒன்றுபட்டு,நம் நாடு
மகிழ்ச்சி,வளம்,முன்னேற்றம் ஆகியவற்றை அடையும்
வண்ணம் சமத்துவத்தையும்,நீதியையும்
அடிப்படையாக கொண்ட ஜனாயக
சமுதாயத்தை உருவாக்குவதற்கு
உறுதி மேற்கொள்வோ!

:thumbsup:

The pledge is a oath, a promise, a deal. It symbolizes the unison of varied races, melted and then re-woven into a colorful fabric called Singapore. The end result is to allow the country to prosper and to have a shelter on every man's head.

Perhaps we should not take it lightly and instead continue in our pursuit to guard the peace that nearly took half a century to set in place.

We may not have a perfect country or perfect system, but we have in place an island called home.

granted, it is the reflection of our country's ideas and ideal path towards the future.

but what has reciting the pledge, at 8.22pm, got to do with anything that you just said? while it may serve to remind us that at that faithful time all those years ago, modern Singapore was born, I still feel education in the classrooms and outside the academic setting will do a much better job, rather than stopping still at 8.22pm to recite the pledge.

I remember watching the Malaysia Cups and ASEAN Cups finals and when Singapore team score the goal.

The whole Singapore would roar and cheers.
I was at home cheering with my friend and family,
I could also hear the neighbours cheers,
and the cheers are so loud that I can hear from opposite block and kopitiam.

Whether one would say the Pledge or not, the heart will tell you.

I remember watching the Malaysia Cups and ASEAN Cups finals and when Singapore team score the goal.

Yes, i remember also, its like the whole neighbourhood was watching the match. Quite amazing.

Agreed... im sure those who have heard those m'sia cup final roars in hdb blocks...would have tingles running down their spines and the feel good europhia. Good show of how united we really are in love for our country. :thumbsup:

The pledge is a oath, a promise, a deal. It symbolizes the unison of varied races, melted and then re-woven into a colorful fabric called Singapore.

Perhaps we should not take it lightly and instead continue in our pursuit to guard the peace that nearly took half a century to set in place.

I have an issue with one line in the pledge that makes me feel it is kinda hypocritical:
"To build a democratic society"

I have never seen democracy here nor seen our leaders endeavour to fulfil this in any way.
The rest of the lines, yes, we have been working towards the other issues.

Anyway, it is too awkward to stand up and say the pledge in my living room in front of the TV (or anywhere for that matter).
But as I watched the people say the pledge on TV, I am with them in spirit... it is still my country's pledge, no matter what.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.