Would you risk your life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sion

Yesterday in the 6 o'clock news, they showed a footage of someone in India carrying a camera and taking photo of tsumani. He was forced to jump back as the waves rushed in.

And in the same news an Australian woman back form Phuket was being interviewed. She said she lost her husband in tsunami. He stopped and took photo of the incoming waves and was engulfed.

No, my common sense tells me so.

I think a lot of people will stop to take pic. Be it photographer, tourist or any other people. They might think it is just some big wave due to some strong wind.

Most people don't realise the power and danger of the tsunamis. When they realise he danger, it is often too late.

:) me will definitely stay and shoot, dont care abt the wave, cos, its the instinct in me, cannot explain................................ :dunno:

yah.. will be shooting too.. dunnoe if its the "lived to tell" thingie.. but i guess if we had received the warning of the potential danger that its a tsunami and not some big waves (which most of the tourist didnt receive), i probably be higher up, wearing a life vest (or BCD), have my camera in the underwater housing, and taking whatever i can while trying to keep safe.. :dunno:

stingraytan said:
yah.. will be shooting too.. dunnoe if its the "lived to tell" thingie.. but i guess if we had received the warning of the potential danger that its a tsunami and not some big waves (which most of the tourist didnt receive), i probably be higher up, wearing a life vest (or BCD), have my camera in the underwater housing, and taking whatever i can while trying to keep safe.. :dunno:

BCD may not necessarily help :sweat:

but yes, by instinct, i would at least take a few shots too .. who would think that the next second the strong wave meters away from would swoop over and engulf you.. all unprepared, thats why the heightened catastrophe... :cry:

It depends on what event....like this Tsunami...it is very unusual especieally Patong Beach that rarely have any big wave....so....I guess I will run to a safer ground first :thumbsup:

I would first take on my scuba gear with tanks and use a Nikonos to take underwater tsunami's!...............and from other angles........

Hong Kong Sien

Having a life vest or oxygen tank will not help you if you are carried by the water and hit against some buildings or rocks.

hongsien said:
I would first take on my scuba gear with tanks and use a Nikonos to take underwater tsunami's!...............and from other angles........

Hong Kong Sien
No use. The power of the wave is enough to crush you. (Take note that many buildings were destroyed in seconds by the tsunamis!)

run to higher grounds and shoot....
well, they always say "liu de qin shan zai" (stay alive and come back another day)

hee hee :)

My camera will be deep in the ocean for divers to pick up :sweat: Of course if the authority release news of possible tidal wave (and not keep it in the dark in fear of loosing tourist).. I'll run to higher land first.. The authority really is to blame....

Even if you stop and take a pics and you succeed, your DSLR or even AF-SLR will gotta spoilt (short-circuited) when kena water...too bad sia! :think:
Anyway, I guess it is not the right time to ask this question when this tragic happened. It is just like sitting back and talking **** when nasty things happened to other ppl around the world. Time to sit back and reflect what you had asked! :nono:

Hmm... personally I would run away to tell of the story with or without pictures, another day. But if I could take pictures... hehe i'd have this mother of a lens, stand on higher ground and shoot! :p
12001700mmview.jpg

no way. safety first.

if u stand near the tidal wave and shoot, u might get 1 award winning shot, at the risk of ur own life. but if u stand far far, protect urself first, u can go shoot the aftermath of the tidal wave.

as for me, i think i will just rush in and die along with it, pray that it will become an award winning shot and get recognise some other day.

~MooEy~

With a solid war-type body UW casing of cuz... maybe can withstand the impact of wave hitting it and it slam on a samurai?

XXX Boy said:
Even if you stop and take a pics and you succeed, your DSLR or even AF-SLR will gotta spoilt (short-circuited) when kena water...too bad sia! :think:
Anyway, I guess it is not the right time to ask this question when this tragic happened. It is just like sitting back and talking **** when nasty things happened to other ppl around the world. Time to sit back and reflect what you had asked! :nono:

No la... not glooming over other ppl's sadness. Just a survey to see mentality of photographers, shot or life.. :angel:

epia said:
With a solid war-type body UW casing of cuz... maybe can withstand the impact of wave hitting it and it slam on a samurai?

I think the idea is more of protecting yourself than your camera...... :D

Maybe we can look this thread as a way of warning anyone thinking of doing such things(Taking photo, while putting himself in harm's way) in the future(Touch Wood).
Think of ur family 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.