Would you rent a Canon 1DsM II or Nikon D2X

Would you rent a Canon 1DsM II or Nikon D2X for S$100?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jovedaddy

New Member
Feb 22, 2002
302
0
0
Sengkang
Visit site
#1
Would you rent a Canon 1DsMII or Nikon D2X for.... say S$100 a day (cheaper for longer durations)?
Just wondering if there's any market for rental of high-end DSLRs in SG.
Thanks!!
 

zekai

Senior Member
May 10, 2002
1,723
1
38
Singapore
Visit site
#2
yes, there is.

but only among professionals. there is no way i can rent such an expensive equipment to people i dun know. so only btw industry professionals.
 

szekiat

Senior Member
Jan 19, 2002
2,252
0
0
London
Visit site
#3
hmm, in the uk they go for about 40 a day. perhaps u will need to lower the price. But yeah, i'd do it. Saves me a lot more money anywya.
 

user111

Senior Member
Jul 27, 2004
4,702
0
36
#4
depend on whether u have EF lens or Fmount lens
 

zekai

Senior Member
May 10, 2002
1,723
1
38
Singapore
Visit site
#6
1dmk 2 rent for about $200 a day. have a few friends who uses 1dsmk2 but they are not renting out.

if you are in professional circle, dun think you have much diffculty finding people who need to rent.
 

idor

Senior Member
Nov 11, 2004
666
0
0
42
Northern California
#7
mattlock said:
$100 a day?! that's super cheap.
in the US it goes for about US$300 a day
HAHAH its cheaper in Houston... d2x goes for $200 USD a day. But unless you are familiar with the controls... otherwise its not worth renting and spend 1 day trying to get familiar with the camera controls and setting those custom settings to suit your needs. On the other hand, camera shops here allow you to bring your own CF cards and/or lens to the shop to try out camera bodies before you buy. Just like when pple wanna buy lens I would bring their camera body to the store to borrow the lens to take some test shots... so to answer the question... my answer is no... cos i dun know how to use it and dun want to spend 100/day and spend a few days learning.... that money I can go for photography class liao... hehe
 

#9
if u're a member of Nikon's Professional Services, all u need is to loan the camera and lenses and maybe flashes too. just write in ur request and if the equipment's available, they'll loan it to u.

isn't it F.O.C? not very sure. yet to try
 

idor

Senior Member
Nov 11, 2004
666
0
0
42
Northern California
#11
Cheesecake said:
if u're a member of Nikon's Professional Services, all u need is to loan the camera and lenses and maybe flashes too. just write in ur request and if the equipment's available, they'll loan it to u.

isn't it F.O.C? not very sure. yet to try
Hmmmm OT a bit how much do you have to pay to be a member of NPS...
 

#12
idor said:
Hmmmm OT a bit how much do you have to pay to be a member of NPS...
its F.O.C for professional photographers. all u haf to do is to download a copy of the registration form from the Nikon.com.sg website and prove that u're a professional working in a studio.

but as far as i know, there are some who managed to skip around the 'professional in a studio' part. there are some free-lancers who are NPS members too.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#13
Cheesecake said:
its F.O.C for professional photographers. all u haf to do is to download a copy of the registration form from the Nikon.com.sg website and prove that u're a professional working in a studio.

but as far as i know, there are some who managed to skip around the 'professional in a studio' part. there are some free-lancers who are NPS members too.
no requirement to own any type of lenses, pro-bodies or both?
 

icarus

Senior Member
Jan 27, 2002
3,874
0
0
East
#14
yanyewkay said:
no requirement to own any type of lenses, pro-bodies or both?
Yk bro, wanna join together? I just printed out the NPS form... i think anyone can join NPS one.... me joining cos gonna bring my lenses for servicing soon... :cry:
 

#15
yanyewkay said:
no requirement to own any type of lenses, pro-bodies or both?
nope. the only requirement, if u can call it 'requirement'(of course there are exceptions), is that u should be a professional photographer working in a professional studio, if i remember correctly.

however, u're required to submit a list of Nikon equipments that u possessed so that in the event of equipment breakdown, the stated equipments will enjoy a 20% off on labour fee. they'll send u a newsletter when there's one available. but there's no exclusive 'members only' update on any news with regards to latest equipments, technology etc etc.

i was hoping Nikon's requisite for membership would be more niche(exclusive), catering to only professionals in respective fields or perhaps being more firm on member acceptance-ship(well, no hard or fast rules here, perhaps anyone can try).

i understand that Canon's membersip criteria is not as rigid as Nikon's.


:thumbsup:
 

#16
icarus said:
Yk bro, wanna join together? I just printed out the NPS form... i think anyone can join NPS one.... me joining cos gonna bring my lenses for servicing soon... :cry:
by the way, if u think the 20% off on labour fee is a big turn-on, well, i'm sorry but u'll be disappointed. hahaha

but its still better than nothing! ;)
 

icarus

Senior Member
Jan 27, 2002
3,874
0
0
East
#17
Cheesecake said:
by the way, if u think the 20% off on labour fee is a big turn-on, well, i'm sorry but u'll be disappointed. hahaha

but its still better than nothing! ;)
I know, Nikon Singapore charges insane prices for servicing (its almost like bringing car for servicing)... but 20% off is also not bad lor...! hehee
 

quekky

Senior Member
Sep 13, 2003
1,400
0
0
www.irphotography.com
#19
Cheesecake said:
nope. the only requirement, if u can call it 'requirement'(of course there are exceptions), is that u should be a professional photographer working in a professional studio, if i remember correctly.

:thumbsup:
i think u need to own a "Pro" camera or lens to be a NPS. i've heard that nikon didnt get back to someone who just submitted D70 kit.

mine was approved the next day i pass the form over the counter
 

#20
quekky said:
i think u need to own a "Pro" camera or lens to be a NPS. i've heard that nikon didnt get back to someone who just submitted D70 kit.

mine was approved the next day i pass the form over the counter
sorry but that's the biggest misconception about joining as an NPS member. u need not own any Nikon cameras or equipments in fact, in order to qualify as one. when they started out, the main criteria was that the applicant has to be a professional photographer in a studio.

obviously Nikon has bended its rules and regulations as more and more free lancers are members too.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom