Would you pay just under $1k for Sigma 24-70mm HSM?

Spending that kinda money for the Sigma 24-70mm when you have the DA 12-24mm is pointless imo. I find the most versatile range is about 17-70mm and to me if there is some focal length overlap with the DA 12-24 so be it. If you're open to a suggestion, use the DA 12-24 and pair it with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime. There is a nice transition in focal range plus you get a fast prime that works well for available light shooting. If you need a short tele, get the DA70.

Spending that kinda money for the Sigma 24-70mm when you have the DA 12-24mm is pointless imo. I find the most versatile range is about 17-70mm and to me if there is some focal length overlap with the DA 12-24 so be it. If you're open to a suggestion, use the DA 12-24 and pair it with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 prime. There is a nice transition in focal range plus you get a fast prime that works well for available light shooting. If you need a short tele, get the DA70.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes i am thinking now don't spend money and just bring the 31, 43 & 77 with the 12-24. Maybe 40 instead of 43 cos i really like the 40ltd.

Last edited:
Woah.... I think I would.. But MUST be f/1.8 at least! I've a soft spot for large aperture glass.. Oh hyperprime.... Why no K mount...? :'(

Woah.... I think I would.. But MUST be f/1.8 at least! I've a soft spot for large aperture glass.. Oh hyperprime.... Why no K mount...? :'(

Haha! You must be a big, strong lad then!

No la... Scrawny... But worth training for such lens.. LOL! :p

No la... Scrawny... But worth training for such lens.. LOL! :p

Part of the reason why i feel a compulsion to go to the gym too. Haha!

For that money, i am getting the Sigma 8-16mm... This Sigma 24-70mm received mix reviews, on Canon...

On 500D - Very good.
On 550D - Quite good.
On 5D mkII - Not good enough.

It seems to not able to handle FF.

For that money, i am getting the Sigma 8-16mm... This Sigma 24-70mm received mix reviews, on Canon...

On 500D - Very good.
On 550D - Quite good.
On 5D mkII - Not good enough.

It seems to not able to handle FF.

Hmmm same was said about the Sigma 12-24 which is also FF.

This lens seems to be better than Canon's own 24-70 and from some reviews is only marginally behind the Nikon 24-70 which many consider as the 'gold standard'.

But whether it does FF or nor matters to me cos i would use it on an AF film cam too.