Would you pad/tape up your camera?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Apr 25, 2002
singapore
www.larryloh.com
ok i've just taped up my 2 SLRs with gaffer tape from Digipix's mass order. just the grip portions, not the whole thing. used a layer of gaffer, then padded them up with tennis racquet grip, then more gaffer. now they look cosmetically very weird but the grip is much more comfortable, and suited to my large grip (i found the grip portions very small and uncomfortable after long periods of hand-holding).

my curiosity got the best of me then, leading to the question...

Would You tape up your camera?

whether it's for reasons of comfort (like me) or as some pros do, tape up their gear to hide the brand and form factor of their equipment, it's still quite heart-pain to see them like that. so i'm just wondering, is there anyone who does the same, or would you do the same?

Originally posted by denizenx
not those hello kitty stickers huh? ;p

I prefer "Power Ranger". :p
No, not me, don't have $$$ to buy the expensive gaffer tape.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by kongg
Taping em, not in Spore but maybe travelling overseas.
travelling overseas? why leh? to mask their brand so they won't be stolen?

The pros that tape tend to tape for several reasons:

[1] As you've already mentioned, to hide brand names.
[2] To keep broken parts together (lens hoods in particular, and lens hood to lens even more specifically)
[3] To protect contact points such as 10pin connectors and PC sockets when the supplied caps have fallen off.
[4] To protect switches that can't be locked from getting accidentally nudged in use (primarily focus limiting, IS).

Funny, I taped up my D30 just a coupla weeks ago. I mean I just stuck black tape onto the logos on the front of the camera.

I had always assumed people did it to prevent theft. At a recent birthday party I attended, there was this other photographer who had taped up his Nikon. I asked if it was to prevent theft. He said yes, but more importantly, it was so that people would not judge his photography by the equipment he uses. He was quite a "pro", using only primes and switching between them effortlessly.

I kinda like the look of my D30 taped up. More "garang", less "consumer". Only problem is my LCD... should I tape that up as well? :p

Another use for tape would probably be to cover up the AF assist light which blinks when you are using the self-timer.

oh... I thought taping "nikon" on a canon and "pentax" on a nikon etc... not to mention the DOHCs and Mugen and various liquid paper doodles... that'll REALLY prevent theft...

Originally posted by denizenx
oh... I thought taping "nikon" on a canon and "pentax" on a nikon etc... not to mention the DOHCs and Mugen and various liquid paper doodles... that'll REALLY prevent theft...
not to mention being branded by others as "beng"... :bsmilie: :D

Originally posted by Digipix
Larry, I hope you are satisfied with the quality of the gaffer. ;)
ya it's good! nice grip and texture, and doesn't look that bad actually... can show you next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.