would you let strangers touch your baby?

Fudgecakes

Oct 1, 2011
Planet Earth
So i came across this the other day.

http://www.timothytiah.com/2014/09/...nyones-baby-without-permission/#disqus_thread

I was shocked because i didn't know that a parent would react so vicerally to people touching their kids(not in that way....) I myself would sometimes hold the hands or pinch the cheeks of random babies who are in the same lift as me and now im paranoid of parents suddenly losing their **** at me.

So just wondering if Anyone here shares the authors views? I personally thinks that he might be overreacting but what do you guys think?

I think mild things like pinching the cheeks or playing with the baby are still ok.
But some of the incidents the author quoted are really overboard - for example a stranger just came to the table and carried the baby to another table to play with her? That's a bit too much IMHO.

no, you should not touch another person without seeking permission, whether is an adult or a minor, unless it is emergency or with a good cause, this is to prevent any misunderstanding.

anyway, if you want to play with a kid or baby, just need to play peekaboo with them, it can be very fun and no physical contact with the kid/baby, that is all you need and most parents will appreciate that.

I think the carrying baby back to own table is really ridiculous. So ridiculous I can see why that parent was stunned beyond words and was not able to say anything there and then to stop it.

I dont understand why people like to touch others' babies but sometimes I just try my best to let it go. Life is short. Save my bullets for other more major battles. :)

While I understand the position of the writer and I applaud him for keeping his manners under control, there is another part that should not be forgotten: the waiter. Many of them come from neighboring countries (I don't mention names here). Watching people there (e.g. if holidays are not booked in full-pamper resorts or other isolated facilities) gives a good understanding about the action of the waiter: parents in other countries do not perceive it as hostile or rude if other people play with their kids. It's perfectly normal and can be observed everywhere: the little one is the center of attention.
It could be (just as a possible explanation) that the waiter just acted in the same familiar way when seeing the little one. Nothing else. No need to freak out, no need to create horror stories of What If and whatnot.

My opinion is it's all back to an idea of having common sense .. If the parents are generally friendly , then very likely it's acceptable to pat the head , pinch the cheeks of the kid etc but I will draw the line at hugging or holding the kid.

And obviously if the parents didn't feel friendly , keep a distance.

My kid is now coming to 3.5 months and ya , I don't mind when the neighbors and strangers living near me do pinch her checks but I won't let them hold my kid unless I know them personally.

I guess I'm more paranoid parent. I won't let any stranger touch my kid.
Even before I touch my kids, I will make sure I sanitized my hand first.
Unless I sanitized the stranger hand before touching my kid :bsmilie:
I always bring hand sanitizer along with me, and spray to my kid hand after play from playground.

I'll let strangers hi five my kitten but carry and hug is no no no.

should a stranger carry my kitten away without my permission... claws and fangs time

I guess I'm more paranoid parent. I won't let any stranger touch my kid.
Even before I touch my kids, I will make sure I sanitized my hand first.
Unless I sanitized the stranger hand before touching my kid :bsmilie:
I always bring hand sanitizer along with me, and spray to my kid hand after play from playground.
Good starting point to confuse the immune system. My grandfather used to say: a child has to play in the mud and have worms, them it's becoming a healthy person ;)

I think it's perfectly okay to tell people not to touch your child, and it's also okay if you don't mind people touching your child. It wouldn't hurt to ask the parent first. "Can I carry your baby?", and it would be the parents' right to refuse or accept. Respect goes both ways. Anyway, I've always thought it's rude to pet a stranger's dog without asking, much less someone's child. In CS context, one would ask for permission before fiddling with someone's camera/lenses too right?? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Fudgecakes, you are too young to understand. When you become a parent, then you will understand.

I will not for personal hygiene.

no, you should not touch another person without seeking permission, whether is an adult or a minor, unless it is emergency or with a good cause, this is to prevent any misunderstanding. anyway, if you want to play with a kid or baby, just need to play peekaboo with them, it can be very fun and no physical contact with the kid/baby, that is all you need and most parents will appreciate that.

Yes I would do the same to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding. See the parent reactions. If everything goes on fine, the. You can be more friendlier. Too many crooks out there.

Yes I would do the same to avoid unnecessary misunderstanding. See the parent reactions. If everything goes on fine, the. You can be more friendlier. Too many crooks out there.
Personally I don't believe there are more out there than decades ago. The difference is that we hear more about such cases thanks to the fast media and people get overly concerned about things that were seen as normal earlier. I can't remember any parents of my school mates being as paranoid and nutty as some parents are today.

So just wondering if Anyone here shares the authors views? I personally thinks that he might be overreacting but what do you guys think?

Babies sometimes are scared of many things. You can't blame them. They are young, they don't understand great many things.

So, suddenly got this stranger (even the parents have no idea who the heck is he) suddenly approach you and pinch the cheek of the young ones and caused the baby to be scared shatless and wail... Would that be ok with you?

no, you should not touch another person without seeking permission, whether is an adult or a minor, unless it is emergency or with a good cause, this is to prevent any misunderstanding.

Personally I don't believe there are more out there than decades ago. The difference is that we hear more about such cases thanks to the fast media and people get overly concerned about things that were seen as normal earlier. I can't remember any parents of my school mates being as paranoid and nutty as some parents are today.

agree with Octarine

back at my era, where got such thing one....now people scare of disease and stuff...so paranoid....simi misunderstanding....

thanks to the internet. ...

Last edited:
Good starting point to confuse the immune system. My grandfather used to say: a child has to play in the mud and have worms, them it's becoming a healthy person ;)
Chinese folk sayings, "dirty eat, dirty grown up" (eat dirtily, grow up healthily) :)
Yes, in old days, not as many virus/germ around.
But nowadays they are too many virus/germ that may cause serious problem. I still believe if you keep good hygiene, you will have healthier body.