Would you lend your camera to others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agenda

Deregistered
Jun 24, 2008
Tampines
Your only DSLR that you have scrimped and saved for.

My sister in law wants to lend my DSLR for her trip back home for 1 month, I thought it was 1 week so I readily agreed, til I learnt that it was 1 month so of course I don't want.

Though she said she would pay for any damage done, imagine only facial scratches, heart pain leh.

Then now my brother and sister in law angry with me.

My brother was insistent in getting my camera for her, initially, I had asked whether my brother wanna share a DSLR because he had expressed interest to get one, but he rejected so I buy myself and my parents of course weren't too happy but they are okay with it now.

So he tried to get the camera from me, he told me want to shoot pictures, use any camera also can. So I suggested to lend my compact, then he got angry and stomp out of my room.

He even commented, take so much picture for what? Your pictures very nice?

I was damn upset, Am I wrong to protect my own interest?

For me, i would lend my camera. it is not worth it to strain the relationship just because of it. Camera spoilt can buy new one but relationship spoilt difficult to repair.
Anyway this is just my thought... And in any case, i did lend my lens to a friend before also.

if u are not comfortable then dun lend it. if u lend it then it get damaged, u gonna come inside the forum and kpkb and we will just flame u instead. :D

Then I believe all the more you shouldn't lend it out especially your bro in law. At this point, he's the one making a request, he has no right to demand anything let alone make such a comment. In other words, beggars can't be choosers.

Camera spoilt can buy new one but relationship spoilt difficult to repair.

If you are using a 1d3 or d3, would you be willing to lend it out and buy another one should it spoil?

A month is really too long for me.Imagine they trigger happy for a month.My bro wanted to lend my cam too.But I need it so cannot.

If you don't feel comfortable, then don't make the exception. Talk to your loved ones nicely and I'm sure they will understand.

For me, my family knows how much I've spent, and would never lent it to anyone, even to my loved ones. If they need a camera, there's always a point and shoot.

then u reply la. " Then what for u need to take pictures for what, PNS can liao what."

I lent my junior my precious DSLR every now and then, but then again I trust her to take good care of it (she prolly takes care of it better than I do! :sweat:)

Besides, I always remind her, if you damage it: you pay. :bsmilie:

PS-Like others have already mentioned, imho, I think they asked very rudely...

Last edited:
you bring your camera, go down stair, take photos of dead cockroach, dead birds, dead dogs dead cats, dog pooh cat pooh, and make some abstract art photos and paste all over your room.

nobody will want to borrow camera from you liao..

you bring your camera, go down stair, take photos of dead cockroach, dead birds, dead dogs dead cats, dog pooh cat pooh, and make some abstract art photos and paste all over your room.

I think nobody would want to be friends with you either :sweat:

I think nobody would want to be friends with you either :sweat:
every night go Lim Chu Kang cemetery for night macro or night shoot, nobody will want to borrow camera from you too, scare of will have extra image in the photos.... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

dun be bothered by wat they say. :)

if he think nothing big deal, ask him to buy himself and dun borrow then.

FAINTZ!!! :sweat:

Or can go take loads and loads of cemetry photos and PP them to look like night shots....since it's unlikely any morgue will let you in anyhow shoot.

Nope, I don't think you're 'wrong' to protect your own interest, but as in all things in life, sometimes have to 'weigh' and 'balance' and decide what's more important.

If a relationship is built on love and trust and respect, one small 'incident' like this would not hurt a quality relationship. Good quality relationships can withstand much, much more turmoil and still flourish. So you have to ask yourself, what is the quality of the relationship you have and where do you give and take, and where do you have to put your foot down. Only you can decide.

In your case, seriously, they way they reacted ... macam like they EXPECTED you to lend even after he refused to share the cost of getting a DSLR with you.

How presumptious and selfish can that be? Is that the measure of HIS relationship with you?

If they asked very nicely, and behaved graciously when you told them you would rather not, that's a different matter.

Perhaps you should email them a link to this thread.

threadstarter,

he wants to strain the relationship its his choice. i wont part my money for it.

true to words, it can be replaced if damage, if so, why cant HE go and buy. he's married, so he should be working and has his own income , why not buy rather then borrow.

i mean its YOUR stuff. who is he to demand stuff from you. if he did pay for your stuff then he has a fair share but since he didnt, im sorry, take your business elsewhere

If I were you I would tell your sis-in-law sure if she asked nicely. 1 month's a pretty long time but shes family right? and relationships far exceed material wealth for me.
yeah you'll miss your cam and be worried but when they come back with the photos and memories and crap itll be worth it. But to your brother wah, thats too much man. I will definately purposely say no and make him fume haha... irritate him, laugh at his face,insult his insolence. while im at it ill snap some shots with flash and frame it up in the living room.

afraid of scratches? gaffer tape lor... but the main point is just lend it to them.

That is Why i always buy Expensive Lens and make my Cam Look Damn Big, Damn Heavy and Damn Expansive. Since my family know nuts and peers know nuts about cameras.. I always Jack up the Market price. And I Carry it all the time make my Camera Strap Sweaty and Sticky. Every time after sensor cleaning... I announce Loud Loud "CB! There goes another $100+++". or "Wah Lao! Replace one Lens Cap $70++!"

So when my Father .. who is an avid traveler come say.. . wah.. your picture very nice. I say nah, take and go and shoot. They always think very very long.

I deal with Rude people with rude response. :bsmilie:

Don't let rude and selfish people makan you.

I think it's clear your brother does not share your enthusiasm in photography, that's why he can say such stuff to you and same as why he didn't share the cost. Whatever pressure he might be under to deliver his promise to the missus, that's his business. I don't think it's healthy anyway to let an object dictate a relationship, "I lend you so we can be brothers ok?" what nonsense. The main thing is 1 month is too long; Inversely, if you do lend it away for a month, your brother is really going to believe your non-commitment to photography and start "borrowing" your camera whenever he likes.

They can get mad now and everything but they'll be over it eventually. It's maddening and might be receiving flak from parents but try to ride it through. Improve your photography and when they get back show them you take really good photos!

Your only DSLR that you have scrimped and saved for.

My sister in law wants to lend my DSLR for her trip back home for 1 month, I thought it was 1 week so I readily agreed, til I learnt that it was 1 month so of course I don't want.

Though she said she would pay for any damage done, imagine only facial scratches, heart pain leh.

Then now my brother and sister in law angry with me.

My brother was insistent in getting my camera for her, initially, I had asked whether my brother wanna share a DSLR because he had expressed interest to get one, but he rejected so I buy myself and my parents of course weren't too happy but they are okay with it now.

So he tried to get the camera from me, he told me want to shoot pictures, use any camera also can. So I suggested to lend my compact, then he got angry and stomp out of my room.

Initially, I thought they are borrowing for a day or 2.

And under the circumstance, ABSOLUTELY NO.

If one want to borrow someone from someone, you ask nicely. Your brother is being an idiot and your sister in law is just a bitch. Nothing more and nothing less.

Btw, if you lend her the camera, might as well kiss it goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.