Would you lend your camera to others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe you would like to ask your sister-in law to go rent one slr instead...then if anything goes wrong, that's her own problem anyway, most to most your brother will end up paying for the damages only.

don't be reckless with other people's hearts, don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Last edited:
Initially, I thought they are borrowing for a day or 2.

And under the circumstance, ABSOLUTELY NO.

If one want to borrow someone from someone, you ask nicely. Your brother is being an idiot and your sister in law is just a bitch. Nothing more and nothing less.

Btw, if you lend her the camera, might as well kiss it goodbye.

So harsh.....but this is also what i feel. :bsmilie:

Your brother and sis-in law had the right to borrow from you, but you also have the right to reject them. Nothing wrong from your side, it is wrong on their side for been angry with you.

You brought the DSLR because you want/need it, if they want/need it, they can beg/borrow/steal/buy/rent,don't understand why they are angry with you.

Why not you try to borrowing S$10K from them to bbb new equipment, if they don't lend you, you get angry with them. :bsmilie:

Very easy qn for me.
Doesnt matter what body or lens.

If its my brother/relative, no qn asked, will surely lend it to them. But will make it clear that any damages will expect to be compensated.

Friends, will also lend it to them as well, same condition.
Unless its those 'friends' whom I do not trust will be so forthcoming with the compensation, then no hesitation in saying No.

maybe you would like to ask your sister-in law to go rent one slr instead...then if anything goes wrong, that's her own problem anyway, most to most your brother will end up paying for the damages only.

don't be reckless with other peoples hearts, dont put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Well said. Your camera is not cheap after all, if they have something they value that costs the same amount, will they lend it to you?

Your only DSLR that you have scrimped and saved for.

My sister in law wants to lend my DSLR for her trip back home for 1 month, I thought it was 1 week so I readily agreed, til I learnt that it was 1 month so of course I don't want.

Though she said she would pay for any damage done, imagine only facial scratches, heart pain leh.

Then now my brother and sister in law angry with me.

My brother was insistent in getting my camera for her, initially, I had asked whether my brother wanna share a DSLR because he had expressed interest to get one, but he rejected so I buy myself and my parents of course weren't too happy but they are okay with it now.

So he tried to get the camera from me, he told me want to shoot pictures, use any camera also can. So I suggested to lend my compact, then he got angry and stomp out of my room.

He even commented, take so much picture for what? Your pictures very nice?

I was damn upset, Am I wrong to protect my own interest?

your brother & sister in law is childish... i never even want another person to use my cam for a while, let alone 'lend'.

I tell you wat... forward this thread to their email address & let them read this thread. Read wat the ppl here says.

Yah loh, take picture any camera can. Ask her go buy herself a $290 compact cam loh. Or maybe a $199 compact cam. Easier & more portable for her to use. Much better for her. From their childishness of getting angry, i can say you dun lend to them, anything spoil liao they will say all kind of things to cover their mistakes. This is wat i feel. Ha.

So harsh.....but this is also what i feel. :bsmilie:

It is not harsh, no is no... my cam body & lens close to $5k... i won't lend. Provided my brother is also a photographer whom has a lot of equipment & knows abt cameras & most prob knows how to take care of stuff.

Lend to lay man? Absolute NO.

well,

for me i have to see who i lend it too.

if its my own sis i wouldnt mind even if its a month cause i trust her
but sis in law ??????? not too sure about that.

if my bro( i dont have one ) were to react like that, it just shows how immature ( no offence bro ) he is.

I feel the same way.

I own a 5dm2 and 2 L series lenses and lots of other accessories which i invested S$10k+. I let my little sister, parents and friends use it but only for a while. Maybe a few minutes or an hour MAX. First of all i wouldn't want to go one month without a DSLR and second , i wouldn't want to lend my camera to someone who doesn't know how to use it,that too for one month. It isn't a toy to play around it.

Different case if it was a compact.

If i were you, i'd tell your brother Point and Shoot or nothing. It's your stuff after all.

Haha sadly,no . My camera is like my wife :X

to TS:

you only have to ask yourself if you trust her(your sister in law)
I loan my whole camera and lenses to my gf for her to shoot her uncle wedding afraid i am but t least i know she is responsible to pay if any damage done.
Like wise i do share all my lenses with my little sister. So you need to ask yourself if you trust her or not. also are they the sort whom value your kindness. DSLR $1k no joke. You sound like you are still schooling so its really aloy of money involved. Boils down to comfort level and trust.

Speaking of which my little sis just grabbed my new compact :( i am sure you'll find your own answer. gd lucky

to TS:

you only have to ask yourself if you trust her(your sister in law)
I loan my whole camera and lenses to my gf for her to shoot her uncle wedding afraid i am but t least i know she is responsible to pay if any damage done.
Like wise i do share all my lenses with my little sister. So you need to ask yourself if you trust her or not. also are they the sort whom value your kindness. DSLR $1k no joke. You sound like you are still schooling so its really aloy of money involved. Boils down to comfort level and trust.

Speaking of which my little sis just grabbed my new compact :( i am sure you'll find your own answer. gd lucky
:thumbsup:

it's more about whether yo're comfortable with the person that whether the person is a friend/family member. If you know that person will understand your dslr is your material baby, i think you should consider lending them (of course, warn them about the camera value and damage costs). Only then, relationships are much harder to ruin because you've reached a mutual understanding.

But dslr 1k really, i repeat from wheresmycheese, ' no joke ', especially if it's your hardearned money. Sounds to me your brother/sis in law see no big picture. i think you shouldnt just flame in this post, but maybe show them some "decent" pictures you took, and get them to understand from your p.o.v, rather than keep them in the dark.

you small matter doesn mean small to others also mah.
mature wise.. TS is just trying to ask for some opinion as it is the first time having such case for him..
he is just trying to protect both things that are equally important to him..
forgive and forget!

cheerios :D

looked at your profile... probably guessed where you are coming from...

probably he's still in anal stage of life... some ppl get stuck with it thruout their entire life... sh!t happens...

actually i realised i wont lend cos its my working camera and i only got 1. cannot afford the lending downtime or any possible repair downtime. but if i dont need the equipment, im pretty fine with ppl borrowing them from me.

actually i realised i wont lend cos its my working camera and i only got 1. cannot afford the lending downtime or any possible repair downtime. but if i dont need the equipment, im pretty fine with ppl borrowing them from me.

thats if its your bread and butter...

if its not, i don't see a reason to be...

thats if its your bread and butter...

if its not, i don't see a reason to be...

ok la. i understand people are very attached to their material wealth. i loan my camera out to a friend for awhile when someone else loan me their camera. what goes around comes around bah.

but now i left 1 body so cannot lend ppl. cannot even afford sending in unless im sure not gonna use it for that period.

dun need to lend.. nowadays so cheap..

if u been observant .. many chaps carrying dslrs when shopping at orchard rd.. must be their first dslr newly bought from PC show ? :sweat:

Many chaps buying 5D2 and its "kit lens" too..;)

Nowadays go Orchard Road sure see at least one EF-S 18-55 IS.. guarantee plus chop

Well, some replies have had given me some points to reflect upon but ultimately I'm a pessimist. I've thought of possible scenarios, one of the worst case for me would be, my camera gets scratch but still in working condition. No one's gonna pay for it, my brother would probably cover for my sis in law and says that its just superficial.

And some people, really, didn't have to be such an ass about it. You might have more life experience than me, but I don't think maturity comes with age, certainly you have not shown it.

If you don't feel comfortable, then don't make the exception. Talk to your loved ones nicely and I'm sure they will understand.

For me, my family knows how much I've spent, and would never lent it to anyone, even to my loved ones. If they need a camera, there's always a point and shoot.

same for me...:)

Well, some replies have had given me some points to reflect upon but ultimately I'm a pessimist. I've thought of possible scenarios, one of the worst case for me would be, my camera gets scratch but still in working condition. No one's gonna pay for it, my brother would probably cover for my sis in law and says that its just superficial.

And some people, really, didn't have to be such an ass about it. You might have more life experience than me, but I don't think maturity comes with age, certainly you have not shown it.

why not sign a contract.With all the terms and condition liike scratches all these.Then tell him give and take.No free meal in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.