Would you lend your camera to others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, i would analyse calmly before deciding on it. Factors affecting whether i should lend or not depend on the below

1) Does he take good care of things. If yes, to what extent. Treasure it and ensure scratch-free?
2) Does he/she knows how to use a DSLR to his/her advantage.
3) How close is he/she to me?
4) Is he/she automatic kinda person who will return without asking?
5) It also depends on the current cost of equipment i am holding now, too ex, i won't want to lend either.

If in the end borrowed to him/her, i will still inform him/her the cost of my equipment and he/she has to pay for any damage incurred especially if its a big sum. (Above $500 repair or getting a replacement)

Last edited:
Friends that know me well know better than to 'borrow' things from me... and the point to put across is even "renting' isn't allowed. If the camera is a very personal equipment to you - they really should be more understanding...

it's just like, it'd never loan a few things "my wife, my guitars, my piano, my cues, my camera, my lenses and anything else i consider highly personal" It's not really a matter of price too.. i'd probably lend a friend my car or my strobes but camera? :nono:

That's me anyway. and really.. people respect how i treat my equipment!

Don't feel bad.. i'm sure they'll end up understanding.. if not.. hmmm well consider telling them the reason.

Ejun

Friends that know me well know better than to 'borrow' things from me... and the point to put across is even "renting' isn't allowed. If the camera is a very personal equipment to you - they really should be more understanding...

it's just like, it'd never loan a few things "my wife, my guitars, my piano, my cues, my camera, my lenses and anything else i consider highly personal" It's not really a matter of price too.. i'd probably lend a friend my car or my strobes but camera? :nono:

That's me anyway. and really.. people respect how i treat my equipment!

Don't feel bad.. i'm sure they'll end up understanding.. if not.. hmmm well consider telling them the reason.

Ejun

I concur.It"s a very delicate piece of instrument be it a SLR or DSLR it's a NO NO from me also.

Want to be angry with me so be it.

quite disgusted that your bro got so worked up and insulted your interest/ hobby just because you don't feel comfortable lending... taking things for granted:nono: next time tell him want to use go buy yourself...

Your only DSLR that you have scrimped and saved for.

My sister in law wants to lend my DSLR for her trip back home for 1 month, I thought it was 1 week so I readily agreed, til I learnt that it was 1 month so of course I don't want.

Though she said she would pay for any damage done, imagine only facial scratches, heart pain leh.

Then now my brother and sister in law angry with me.

My brother was insistent in getting my camera for her, initially, I had asked whether my brother wanna share a DSLR because he had expressed interest to get one, but he rejected so I buy myself and my parents of course weren't too happy but they are okay with it now.

So he tried to get the camera from me, he told me want to shoot pictures, use any camera also can. So I suggested to lend my compact, then he got angry and stomp out of my room.

He even commented, take so much picture for what? Your pictures very nice?

I was damn upset, Am I wrong to protect my own interest?

Sound like a small issue to me... and both of you sound rather immature.

I would lent to my immediate family even if they break it... it is ok with me, cos they know I treasure my stuff and if they broke it, it must have been a really bad accident. My immediate family would be, parents (but unlikely to borrow), my wife, children, brothers and sisters.

I would make sure they know how to use the camera first and would teach them the settings etc.. that they would easily undersand, worst case set P Mode Auto ISO.

In the end, family matters. Hardware is only hardware. My siblings.. I grew up with them, shared many ups and downs and we are from same blood. If they asked me for a camera I would likely reply which ones and I might even offer that they take 2... one each and I would want to see the photos when they return.

../azul123

quickly sell your DSLR away, than go and buy a Holga.
Poison ;)

Sound like a small issue to me... and both of you sound rather immature.
you small matter doesn mean small to others also mah.
mature wise.. TS is just trying to ask for some opinion as it is the first time having such case for him..
he is just trying to protect both things that are equally important to him..
forgive and forget!

cheerios :D

DSLRs are like my underwears....

I really wonder how old are you and your bro....

I'm 24, but my brother and I don't act like that... as brothers, just share. That's what we were suppose to do from young. If it's too precious to share, the both of you should already have an understanding and back off a step... why spoil years and years of relationship just because of a camera?

The camera can be bought with money, but not the relationship.

I'm not saying you have to lend him the camera, but understand what's the bigger problem behind.

think there are lots of comment given. In the end its still up to you. Do your own risk assisgnment. IF its not worth the risk then don't lend. your brother-in-law may give you crap reply, so what? He is he, you are you. The cam is yours, who you want to lent is your decision. Not his to comment. Just Ignore him and frankly, after this incident he will have 2nd though of opening his smelly mouth asking you for your gear.

I really wonder how old are you and your bro....

I'm 24, but my brother and I don't act like that... as brothers, just share. That's what we were suppose to do from young. If it's too precious to share, the both of you should already have an understanding and back off a step... why spoil years and years of relationship just because of a camera?

The camera can be bought with money, but not the relationship.

I'm not saying you have to lend him the camera, but understand what's the bigger problem behind.

I cannot disagree more.

First of all, it is not TS' brother who will be borrowing the camera. It is his sister in law.

If the camera is damaged, who bares the responsibility of getting it repaired or replaced? if it is family, as you had alluded to, then, should the TS even press his brother to pay? After, family, right? Is this a risk the TS ought to take?

The bigger problem here is, we have an idiot here whom is taking advantage of his brother. PERIOD.

My lend my equipment out. One rule, even if my sister is borrowing. If it is damaged, however slight, you buy new camera/lens or what not, the new one is mine, you get to keep the damaged one. Fair isn't it?

Now, you might argue, it's family ... does family means the lender has to take the risk?

well,

for me i have to see who i lend it too.

if its my own sis i wouldnt mind even if its a month cause i trust her
but sis in law ??????? not too sure about that.

if my bro( i dont have one ) were to react like that, it just shows how immature ( no offence bro ) he is.

all he got to do is put himself in ur shoes and he will understand unless he is that thick headed !

i do loan my cams to my friends but only to those i can trust. not all.
there have been times i have to turn them down cause u know they aint really careful with their stuff.

but such a case, if he were to react like that it aint ur fault.
1 month overseas with no gurentee, i wont lend it too.

unless they buy u a new cam if there is any SCRATCHES then thats something.

my cam is my life. literally
i scrimped and tabaoed food to school just to get it.

i wont let it go away from my side that easily :D

lol mod can close this thread already.
ibet more or less TS know what to do.
can sense there's a flaming war starting.. :eek:

I cannot disagree more.

First of all, it is not TS' brother who will be borrowing the camera. It is his sister in law.

If the camera is damaged, who bares the responsibility of getting it repaired or replaced? if it is family, as you had alluded to, then, should the TS even press his brother to pay? After, family, right? Is this a risk the TS ought to take?

The bigger problem here is, we have an idiot here whom is taking advantage of his brother. PERIOD.

My lend my equipment out. One rule, even if my sister is borrowing. If it is damaged, however slight, you buy new camera/lens or what not, the new one is mine, you get to keep the damaged one. Fair isn't it?

Now, you might argue, it's family ... does family means the lender has to take the risk?

Ok, I misread about him lending to his bro instead of his sister in law.

Of course if the cam is damaged, the party who damaged it pays for it. Pressing his bro/sister in law to pay isn't about family, it's about principles.

Again, I'm not saying that he has to lend his cam out. I'm just saying that it's always a good value to share (if he was lending the cam to his bro, but since I read that part wrongly, so yea.)

Seriously, the owner has all rights to decide. Family or not, it is not the point.

It is my camera, and I decide who I want to lend it to or not.

Hi TS, is your sister-in-law close to you? IF she wants a DSLR so much to take photos, just ask her husband to buy one for her lah. And if just wanna take pictures of family, use P&S can liao.

But really no need to strain family ties over a piece of camera lah. But one month is really too long. But this is your brother and his wife. But what if those fools drop your camera?!

End of the day, for me at least, the decision whether to lend my precious camera to my bro/sis/ family will depends on how close we are. For me, no problem. For your case, only you will know.

Anyway, I think there's definitely something good about your photos that they saw which make them want to use your DSLR in the hope to achieve the same effect ;)

Let me share with you my experience of lending my first film SLR cam with a speedlite to my good friend. All my equipment, cam body, front and rear lens cap, speedlite and special effect filter cases were pasted with a custom made sticker with my name. Lend it to him for about a week. I just did a cursory check and noticed that all the sticker were removed and left behind a sticky patch (like when you remove price tag and part of the sticker still remains). I was angry of course, but being the nice me, I did not ask him about it. I did not test out the cam and speedlite. When I wanted to use, I discovered that the speedlite could not fire !! He did not even inform me about the damaged speedlite !! From then on, I told myself not to loan out cam equipment to anyone else.

Lesson learnt, move on.

Do not make the same mistake as me.

There are 2 parties in such a sticky situation .... luckily the majority of "normal" people know that it is "not right" to borrow certain things from other people, especially things that are relatively costly or personal. My friends own million dollar cars and even i am always offered to take a spin i didn't want to, because I prefer to keep him as a friend (what if i accidently damage his fav cars?) So usually i refrain from borrowing anything from anyone, even to the extend of not even testing a friend's gears or anything.

On the other end, camera or anything is just a physical thing .... it cannot be more important than my relatives or personal friends. If any of my siblings ever request, I wouldnt mind at all to loan them my gears. As for friends, i would be more selective. Even if my siblings damage my cam, I think I will not really mind. There are more important things in life.

Let be more mature .... when you grow older, you will realize that all physical things that we have/owned are really nothing if they are not to be shared or appreciated by our love ones ... :think:

Last edited:
It really depends on yourself. I have lend my main body a couple of lenses to a friend whom I know will take good care of them before.

Given the situation, I would either ask them to rent a cam (of course only Nikon/Canon/Olympus available) or lend it to them and wish that they damage it so that I can ask for a better cam as compensation. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.